Thor Seat Mounting Kit for Q45

BenU

Hello. It seems like the Thor seat is a popular alternative for Cruzbikes. I'd like to give it a try this upcoming season. I've seen the various posts where people have jury rigged their own solutions for mounting the seat, but has anyone selling a mounting kit to do the same?

vmi1056

Kit? Not that I’m aware of. Like you, I scoped out a few posts on the forum, zoomed in on some pics and rigged up a set up for myself. I’m a noob when it comes to that stuff and it wasn’t too difficult, drilled a couple of holes (which needs to be done with a Thor regardless, nothing is pre drilled), made a trip to local hardware store to grab a couple of things and that was a wrap. For me, and everyone is different, totally changed the riding experience on the Q45 over the stock seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 69

Gofer

Will the ventiseat pad from the Q45 stock seat work on the Thor seat ?Or do you have to buy a new Thor ventiseat pad . I did not see any ventiseat pads on the Thor website

vmi1056

Will the ventiseat pad from the Q45 stock seat work on the Thor seat ?Or do you have to buy a new Thor ventiseat pad . I did not see any ventiseat pads on the Thor website
The ventiseat pad is offered from Thor once you pick the style and size seat you want during the checkout process. You also get to choose the thickness of the pad as well. My Thor was delivered with seat, ventiseat pad, and mounting hardware. The stock Q45 seat pad, given that it is designed to fit that particular seat and size, would not work on a Thor. Too many styles, contours, size differences, etc.

BenU

Kit? Not that I’m aware of. Like you, I scoped out a few posts on the forum, zoomed in on some pics and rigged up a set up for myself. I’m a noob when it comes to that stuff and it wasn’t too difficult, drilled a couple of holes (which needs to be done with a Thor regardless, nothing is pre drilled), made a trip to local hardware store to grab a couple of things and that was a wrap. For me, and everyone is different, totally changed the riding experience on the Q45 over the stock seat.

Thanks for the reply, and encouragement. A kit would be great, but I'm sure I can get it done otherwise and your and others' pictures will be helpful.

I noticed in your picture that you went with a single mount point under the seat. I saw that someone else had suggested that idea, and I thought I'd prefer that too. How's that worked out for you?

Also, I like the way your seat seems to hug the back post. Would you please send a picture of how you arranged that?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hello. It seems like the Thor seat is a popular alternative for Cruzbikes. I'd like to give it a try this upcoming season. I've seen the various posts where people have jury rigged their own solutions for mounting the seat, but has anyone selling a mounting kit to do the same?
Here is what I did.

BenU

Here is what I did.
My bad. I meant that your pictures were perfect, @cpml123 :)

@vmi1056 , I'd still love to see pictures of your seat back for comparison if it's not too much trouble. The more ideas the merrier :)

vmi1056

My bad. I meant that your pictures were perfect, @cpml123 :)

@vmi1056 , I'd still love to see pictures of your seat back for comparison if it's not too much trouble. The more ideas the merrier :)

I pulled my set up idea directly from @cmpl123 so it’s exactly the same.

Not to complicate the seat discussion even more but some (myself included) have also tried a mesh seat. I had one from a long when base recumbent and thought I’d try it out. I was able to use the Q45 brackets to install. I put over 5k miles on this seat with my other recumbent so it was broken it very well. This also offers a very comfy ride on the Q. Depending on which mesh seat, they can be a little more expensive than a Thor. Not sure I would have purchased one (maybe used) to try but since I had one I figured why not.
IMG_2625.jpeg

BenU

I pulled my set up idea directly from @cmpl123 so it’s exactly the same.

Not to complicate the seat discussion even more but some (myself included) have also tried a mesh seat. I had one from a long when base recumbent and thought I’d try it out. I was able to use the Q45 brackets to install. I put over 5k miles on this seat with my other recumbent so it was broken it very well. This also offers a very comfy ride on the Q. Depending on which mesh seat, they can be a little more expensive than a Thor. Not sure I would have purchased one (maybe used) to try but since I had one I figured why not.
View attachment 16646

Thanks, @vmi1056 . It's good to know that the same setup is working for both you and @cpml123 . What is the white material that you used to apparently bond or pad the seat post against the seat back?

Also, I had another recumbent before my Cruzbike, and it had a mesh seat. I did like it, but I don't have it any longer and I'm going to give the Thor seat a go. Now that you've tried both, which do you like better on your Cruzbike? The Thor seat or your mesh seat?

vmi1056

Thanks, @vmi1056 . It's good to know that the same setup is working for both you and @cpml123 . What is the white material that you used to apparently bond or pad the seat post against the seat back?

Also, I had another recumbent before my Cruzbike, and it had a mesh seat. I did like it, but I don't have it any longer and I'm going to give the Thor seat a go. Now that you've tried both, which do you like better on your Cruzbike? The Thor seat or your mesh seat?

For my set up, I actually just used a thin piece of rubber to to pad the seat post against the seat back. It's only function was for padding and the screws and clamps did the rest.

As far as which seat I like better, I would say it depends on the riding. If I was doing a lot of stop and go or just want to sit up and enjoy the ride, looking around, taking in all the sites, I like the mesh seat because it sits more upright. If my goal was to get out on a ride where there was not a lot of stop and go, I liked the Thor, just settle in and the comfortable miles go by. These preferences are based on the recline angle I had set for both. Either would work in those scenarios, it was just the way I had them set up. If you give that Thor a try, I think you'll be very happy with it once you get it dialed in. I would advise emailing Greg at Thor if you haven't ordered one already to verify the size you need. The size chart on the website was slightly off for me and he was able to confirm the correct size for my height. Hope this helps.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
What is the white material that you used to apparently bond or pad the seat post against the seat back?
It's thermo plastic. I use it between the seat back and the u connector so that it has bigger contact surface area and won't rattle. It is not a bonding glue.

ChairmanFrau

Same experience for me as @vmi1056 said. Don’t know of any kit, but not too hard to do. Mine is more reclined & very comfortable.
That is exactly the set up I have been trying to get, I was thinking I would have to see if I could order the hard shell seat from hp velo which is a seat I really really like a lot but, of course, I am a million miles away from a dealer and they make it clear on the site that's their business model. I didn't know about the god Thor making seats along with lightening, thunder, etc. Thanks for the pics and thanks everyone for the info, off to find Thor...

What Thor model did you order? Trike? Sport G? Easy GS?