Tire Recommendations

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi folks,

Happy new year!

Looking to the brain trust for 700x25C tire recommendations.

It's been a while since I've bought 700c tires. The forum search function didn't turn up much, at least the way I searched.

My Silvio 1.0 is still wearing the Vittorio Corsa CXs I put on it many years ago, and my Silvio 2.0 is shod with Continental Ultrasports. Both of those have done well what they were intended to do. But tires have come some way since those were purchased, I'm lead to believe by people who sell tires.

Searching Amazon, I seem to see many good reviews mixed with some real horror stories, for just about all the manufacturers. I also suspect some of the Amazon vendors are dumping some very old or maybe even defective tires. Also, I prefer buying local or in-network (i.e., Rose City.)

Looking for something with a good mix of durability, survivability, and low rolling resistance (well, who isn't?) I also would like something that is reasonably easy to get on the rim (I remember having to soak Continental GP's in hot water to get them on the rim.)

I'm not the fastest horse in the stable. Trying to get back to regular riding since I've retired from spending half my life on international flights of 16 hours or so.

What has worked for you? What do you like?

Thanks and best,

Doug

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Contis never disappoint. While the 5000 drops a few grams and supposedly offers lower rolling resistance (see bicyclerollingresistance.com) my money for dependability/performance balance is still the 4000s. Consistently get 5000+ miles and never get a bad tire.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
^ +1. The 4000s are getting hard to find so I have 23mm 5000s on my V20 because they have a great blend of speed, durability, grip and protection. I have 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on my DF bike because that is the largest that fit, I got them on sale, and I went with 25mm because they are marginally more comfortable. When they need replacing I will put 5000s on that bike too unless I get a great deal on other similarly great tires. Since punctures are very rare here I would feel a bit more secure in using an even faster tire with less protection. But I'm still a NEWB on removing the front tire on the V20 so a thicker tread (as on the 5000) relieves more of the worry of flatting the front. Keep that in mind if your area is puncture prone.

Last edited:

ccf

Guru
If you are willing to go tubeless, the Conti 5000 TL tires are the real deal. I've yet to have one of those punctures that never really seals up enough to hold normal pressure. They may not be easy to get on your rims, though.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
If you are willing to go tubeless, the Conti 5000 TL tires are the real deal. I've yet to have one of those punctures that never really seals up enough to hold normal pressure. They may not be easy to get on your rims, though.
My V20 came with disc brakes and a set of wheels with disc brake rotors, but I changed it to rim brakes because I didn't have any experience with disc brakes and rarely ride in the rain. However, my next set of wheels will be disc brake wheels with tubeless capability just so I can run tubeless tires for better protection, better braking and faster speeds.

Oh, I forgot to mention above, I found a 25mm Michelin Power Competition tire the other day for about $40 that I keep as a spare in the Moose pack under the seat. It barely fits, but that is another great tire

Brad R

Depends a lot on the rims. The Continental GP5000 TL go in my rims easily without levers

keep an eye out for sales. I have bought my GP5000TL tires for $40 or less.

DocS

Guru
I have Continental 5000 700Cx28 on my Vendetta and Continental 5000 700Cx32 on my S40...

I've tried a few other tires (Vittorio Corsa, GatorSkins, Swalbe Pro), but I like the speed and comfort of these tires.
Like others have mentioned, I've never received a bad one and they go on easy enough...
I also don't ride in the rain, so don't really know how well they perform in wet conditions ( have been caught out in the rain before, but only for a couple minutes and I don't push it in wet conditions).

Blessings,
Rudy (AKA DocS)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I don't often intentionally ride in more than a bit of drizzle here and there but last week the local weather man did me in and I spent the better part of 45 miles in a pretty heavy rain. The Conti 5000s performed quite well on a ride with lots of twisting rollers. Of course the V has always felt way sketchier in turns than my old DFs but I think that has more to do with position (body and feet) and nothing to do with tires. For some reason on the V when I'm in a tight turn at any kind of speed I always expect the back endo to slide out from under me and just hold my breath until I'm out the other side. I'm generally a bit of a wimp decender but on the V tend to be even wimpier than normal.

Tuloose

Guru
I just got a set of 25mm Vittoria Randonneur Classics for my Silvio 1.0 but haven't mounted them yet.
I wanted a durable, not very expensive tire for the Silvio.
On my thoroughbred Vendetta I run 28mm Conti 5000 TL's and I am very pleased with them.
My T50 gets along very well with Michelin Protek Cross, 1.6"

McWheels

Off the long run
I'll give a nod to the Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR; I have 700x35c and that might be a bit wide for a V, but the balance point between robustness, comfort and speed was good for me. If you take narrower perhaps expect to sacrifice some comfort?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Thanks very much for all of your comments and observations. It's helpful to hear from "the folks that own one".

The wheels I'm using arrived today, so I'll be buying tires this week.

When I get everything together, I'll post (with pictures, otherwise it didn't happen!)

Thanks and best,

Doug

BikeGary

I ran gaterskins for years until I had two sidewall blowouts that caused me to go down. (DF bike) My S20 has gatorskins and I am keeping an eye on them. The bit around the bead is what fails but before it does, it stretches and you can see that. I have a set of Michilin Pro's in a box waiting for the replacement. As for wear, Seattle roads are tougher on tires than San Diego. So your mileage will vary depending on conditions.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Doug, I put on the 25mm Vittoria's I mentioned on the old Silvio 1.0 and there is about 2mm clearance between the tire and the rear fork crown.
I don't think 28mm tires would work on that bike.
I fitted Schwalbe Ultremo XZ 700*28 to my Silvio V1.0, with some filling to the fork head to match the tyre profile, with a 2 mm gap, with the tyre at 100 psi!
I just needed to use the same pressure gauge, to keep 100 psi, as if a higher pressure would decrease the tyre / fork gap!!!!

jphipps

I just replaced tires and tubes on my S40. I used Schwalbe durano plus 700x28C that has the latest ADDIX compound, very nice tire but pricey. I also replaced my rubber tubes with Schwalbe AEROTHAN plastic tubes, what a difference in rolling resistance, at least 25% decrease. The performance of the bike is noticeable, it doesn't bounce nearly as much and a smoother ride. Anyone had the front wheel slip on 13-15% grades? No more slip because the tires do not bounce as with rubber inter tubes. Those plastic tubes are pricy, and hard to find, but well worth the price.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have been using the older Duranos (25mm) on my aluminum framed commuter and I like them too. Durable, grippy and puncture resistant. The PLUS must be even better.
I have never heard of the Aerothans, but they seem pretty nice. A quick search for them with 80mm stems came up empty but let's see if I can find them here in the near future.

Dave Arnold

I have Continental 5000 700Cx28 on my Vendetta and Continental 5000 700Cx32 on my S40...

I've tried a few other tires (Vittorio Corsa, GatorSkins, Swalbe Pro), but I like the speed and comfort of these tires.
Like others have mentioned, I've never received a bad one and they go on easy enough...
I also don't ride in the rain, so don't really know how well they perform in wet conditions ( have been caught out in the rain before, but only for a couple minutes and I don't push it in wet conditions).

Blessings,
Rudy (AKA DocS)

Rudy,

I noticed you mentioned you put Conti 5000 700x32 on your S40. I'm wondering if the 5000 700x32 will fit on my 2020 S40. What year is your S40? Did you have any clearance issues with the front fork?

Thanks,

Dave

DocS

Guru
Rudy,

I noticed you mentioned you put Conti 5000 700x32 on your S40. I'm wondering if the 5000 700x32 will fit on my 2020 S40. What year is your S40? Did you have any clearance issues with the front fork?

Thanks,

Dave

Good morning Dave,

I bought my S40 pre-owned, so I'm not too sure of the year (I think 2018) It's the light green color...
there are no clearance issues at all. In fact, I could fit larger tires in there...

Blessings,
Rudy