To V20c as a lifelong DF roadie

TransAm

I have 140's on my V20C - love them - I really love anything between 140-150mm.

Here is the info on the guy (Mark) that did the first one for me 8 years ago (after that I just started doing my own) - thinking he is still in business

http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/index.html
Looks the the link still works.

His name is Mark: He does excellent work
Yes, Mark had a few SRAM Apex 180mm that can be cut down to 158mm. That's what I originally put on my V20, and they were great. I decided to go to 165mm to get carbon cranks recently. They are longish, but also work fine.

gaspi101

Yes, Mark had a few SRAM Apex 180mm that can be cut down to 158mm. That's what I originally put on my V20, and they were great. I decided to go to 165mm to get carbon cranks recently. They are longish, but also work fine.
I’m going with a Sram Force AXS eTap build all around, since I’m in love with the eTap system in my old roadbike…their cranks only go down to 165, so that’s what I’ll use…good to know it works well…l may switch down in the future if things start hurting…thank you guys

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I’m going with a Sram Force AXS eTap build all around, since I’m in love with the eTap system in my old roadbike…their cranks only go down to 165, so that’s what I’ll use…good to know it works well…l may switch down in the future if things start hurting…thank you guys
I have SRAM Force AXS on my V20 with narrow drop bars and I absolutely love the wireless shifting. I am still using 52/34t Shimano 105 cranks, a 12-speed Ultegra 11-30t cassette, and a KMC chain and it runs perfectly. However, at some point I will get the AXS Wireless blips so I can open up the view by getting rid of the brifters, which will lighten the bike, and have less parts hanging out in the breeze for an aero penalty. Not sure how comfortable a Deda Tribar will be on a V20, but we will see (in Spring when the parts are expected to arrive).

gaspi101

I have SRAM Force AXS on my V20 with narrow drop bars and I absolutely love the wireless shifting. I am still using 52/34t Shimano 105 cranks, a 12-speed Ultegra 11-30t cassette, and a KMC chain and it runs perfectly. However, at some point I will get the AXS Wireless blips so I can open up the view by getting rid of the brifters, which will lighten the bike, and have less parts hanging out in the breeze for an aero penalty. Not sure how comfortable a Deda Tribar will be on a V20, but we will see (in Spring when the parts are expected to arrive).
Nice! Ok, but you said somethings there that I didn’t understand. what are “AXS wireless blips”? also, if you get rid of the brifters, won’t you have to remove your hand from the brakes to shift? I suppose that’s not an issue riding solo, but when group riding, you have to keep hands on brakes at all times….maybe not a recumbent concern

Edit: NVM, looked it up, https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ec-blip-b1 Cool! didn’t know these existed, but it makes sense. what would your intended build look like? where would the brakes go?

Edit 2: I think I understand, but I love hoods and brifters on my bike…I’ve no experience on a recumbent yet, but my hands feel happy in the hoods…It would take a lot to make me leave them lol

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Nice! Ok, but you said somethings there that I didn’t understand. what are “AXS wireless blips”? also, if you get rid of the brifters, won’t you have to remove your hand from the brakes to shift? I suppose that’s not an issue riding solo, but when group riding, you have to keep hands on brakes at all times….maybe not a recumbent concern

Edit: NVM, looked it up, https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ec-blip-b1 Cool! didn’t know these existed, but it makes sense. what would your intended build look like? where would the brakes go?

Edit 2: I think I understand, but I love hoods and brifters on my bike…I’ve no experience on a recumbent yet, but my hands feel happy in the hoods…It would take a lot to make me leave them lol
Congrats on your new baby!

As you've probably figured out, there are a lot of ways to configure these bikes, and that many folks who are willing (or brave enough) to deviate from the DF bike norm to ride recumbent are tinkerers, or at least they aren't afraid to tinker. Take everybody's building advice in, but my recommendation, for now, is to start with a "normal" build--use the stock handlebar, use brifters, use the stock seat pan, etc. Get used to that first, and then let the tinkering begin (you might, for example, really like the stock handlebar). Also, consider taking on only one change at a time, probably in order of greatest need. Eventually you'll move from "I have to swap _________ out soon," to "someday I might try _________."

I suppose this tinkering is the longest part of the learning curve; just don't let the massive knowledge base on this forum overwhelm you. It is a great tool, and it means well.

(I love my brifters too).

gaspi101

Congrats on your new baby!

As you've probably figured out, there are a lot of ways to configure these bikes, and that many folks who are willing (or brave enough) to deviate from the DF bike norm to ride recumbent are tinkerers, or at least they aren't afraid to tinker. Take everybody's building advice in, but my recommendation, for now, is to start with a "normal" build--use the stock handlebar, use brifters, use the stock seat pan, etc. Get used to that first, and then let the tinkering begin (you might, for example, really like the stock handlebar). Also, consider taking on only one change at a time, probably in order of greatest need. Eventually you'll move from "I have to swap _________ out soon," to "someday I might try _________."

I suppose this tinkering is the longest part of the learning curve; just don't let the massive knowledge base on this forum overwhelm you. It is a great tool, and it means well.

(I love my brifters too).
Excellent advice! I bought the frameset and some accessories and after the bike is built, and after I get the hang of pedaling without falling, I look forward to doing some tinkering. Thanks, man. I’ll be back!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master

Now, my fingers wrap around the hoods so that provides plenty of control and grip without really having to think about it. Since we don't put our weight on the top of the hoods like on DF bikes our issue is usually "Death Grip" so we gotta be careful about trying to muscle the bike around or trying to choke the life out of it. Almost everyone does it in the beginning but slowly you'll get it out of your system.

The Super Record CF (carbon fiber) TT brake levers are the bar end type and I will put the Blips on the top close to the bar ends so I can hit it with my thumb and still be able to pull on the bars when I need to put out max power. I'd love to have the bar tops perfectly flat for better aero, but in the mockup fitting I could tell that I had to angle them up slightly for wrist comfort. Since the bars are wide enough, I will be able to rest my hands closer to the stem when cruising. Here is the bar and TT brakes without the Blips or any kind of grip tape installed yet.
IMG_5195.JPG

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Hi, can you share some pictures of your seat mounting? This is one of my modifications items for the V20c. Kudos on the century rides!
Here are pictures of how I mounted my seat with rubber bocks, sorbothane, and wire ties. Sorry it took so long.

Attachments

• 0BB0B41E-3A4D-4904-8837-F79D5EA9FAE9.jpeg
    0BB0B41E-3A4D-4904-8837-F79D5EA9FAE9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 53078697-EFDD-4D68-B8A6-35C7CBF1E98A.jpeg
    53078697-EFDD-4D68-B8A6-35C7CBF1E98A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 3D186E21-4182-4E3F-BACF-E6AD9DC6FA0F.jpeg
    3D186E21-4182-4E3F-BACF-E6AD9DC6FA0F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 88829738-A75D-4BBB-9B37-3EA0A985F394.jpeg
    88829738-A75D-4BBB-9B37-3EA0A985F394.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

gaspi101

Now, my fingers wrap around the hoods so that provides plenty of control and grip without really having to think about it. Since we don't put our weight on the top of the hoods like on DF bikes our issue is usually "Death Grip" so we gotta be careful about trying to muscle the bike around or trying to choke the life out of it. Almost everyone does it in the beginning but slowly you'll get it out of your system.

The Super Record CF (carbon fiber) TT brake levers are the bar end type and I will put the Blips on the top close to the bar ends so I can hit it with my thumb and still be able to pull on the bars when I need to put out max power. I'd love to have the bar tops perfectly flat for better aero, but in the mockup fitting I could tell that I had to angle them up slightly for wrist comfort. Since the bars are wide enough, I will be able to rest my hands closer to the stem when cruising. Here is the bar and TT brakes without the Blips or any kind of grip tape installed yet.
View attachment 13810
NGL that looks sexy as hell

gaspi101

1 of the best things for me though is that customizing the seat pan with thin adhesive backed foam padding under the Ventisit I have a bit of lumbar support and my weight isn't pressing my discs like an accordion. It is spread all out over my butt and back so I can stay on the bike for easily double what I could on my DF bike.
How did you add cushioning to the ventisit? I bought it but it’s so thin, it’s quite uncomfortable, and just put the stock seat cushion back. can you post some pics of your mods? thanks!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
How did you add cushioning to the ventisit? I bought it but it’s so thin, it’s quite uncomfortable, and just put the stock seat cushion back. can you post some pics of your mods? thanks!
I bought about 5 sq ft of 1cm thick floor tile-sized adhesive backed foam padding from Viva Home, which is the Japan version of Home Depot, and cut it with regular scissors to match the CF seat shape. It is basically 1cm thick over the whole seat except the 2" closest to the head tube. I put an additional 1cm layer in the lumbar area on top of the first layer. I then put the velcro strip on top of the foam padding.
IMG_5326.JPG

gaspi101

I bought about 5 sq ft of 1cm thick floor tile-sized adhesive backed foam padding from Viva Home, which is the Japan version of Home Depot, and cut it with regular scissors to match the CF seat shape. It is basically 1cm thick over the whole seat except the 2" closest to the head tube. I put an additional 1cm layer in the lumbar area on top of the first layer. I then put the velcro strip on top of the foam padding.
View attachment 13917
So clever! Ok, I’ll give this a try…

Don1

Guru
Very pretty bike(yellow used to be the colour for a vendetta but that white is awesome) . I use the ventist... It will mold into your contours like an old leather saddle so give it time. Don't go fast for the first 1000k just so your brain gets used to it. You're like a duck to water but easy into it.