TTrike!!!!

Opik

This is an optional module which could be added to a Cruzbike (or any other "Forward Wheel Drive" bike like Raptobike). Here you will be able to see basic capabilities of this tilting trike: - agility/slalom - parking the bike - fast corners - start with both feet on the pedals - detailed view on the mechanism from the rear

http://gonano.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Spezi-Daniele-Gonano.pdf

Cruzbike Delta E-Trike with solar panel, very cool

It also has a rear rack, 40 L capacity
IMG_20180605_112229-1000x1100.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@Opik,
The TTrike is a concept that many would like to see up close and personal, however as far as Cruzbike sending out information it has been awfully quiet for quite a while. In looking at the above pictures: the first video is with a Cruzbike Silvio (precursor to S40) and the second picture is of a different make recumbent - looking closely at the front of the bike and seeing that this is front wheel drive but not moving bottom bracket front triangle - so not a Cruzbike pretty neat looking machine though. I wonder what range he gets out of the battery?

Opik

@Opik,
The TTrike is a concept that many would like to see up close and personal, however as far as Cruzbike sending out information it has been awfully quiet for quite a while. In looking at the above pictures: the first video is with a Cruzbike Silvio (precursor to S40) and the second picture is of a different make recumbent - looking closely at the front of the bike and seeing that this is front wheel drive but not moving bottom bracket front triangle - so not a Cruzbike pretty neat looking machine though. I wonder what range he gets out of the battery?

Yes, he did mention a raptobike and the tilting addition can beused on other FWD recumbents. (Somehow I think a MBB/FWD will always be called a Cruzbike no matter brand or DIY it is). I don';t know the range but with the solar panel it can go on forever it seems in sunny days.

He also mentioned you can cointact him on his website: http://gonano.eu/contact
and wanted to get feedbacks on this kit. Looks like if its a success, he has plans to sell the kit. Probably a good addition to those who can't balance a Cruzbike

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I wonder how heavy all that oil-rig looking structure is. Is it plastic? Would they change it if they started manufacturing?

Opik said:
Somehow I think a MBB/FWD will alwaysbe calleda Cruzbike
Probably. I bet that pisses off all the Flevo owners.

McWheels

Off the long run
That oil-rig stuff is probably a bunch more stiff than a tube in it's main axis of force, which is a lever about where the big and small triangles join. I got no problem with that; one could even 3D print it in metal if the mood took one.

Thing is, Kervelo already solved this a couple of years ago, including the tilt-lock.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Does it matter how stiff it is at the back? It does not transmit the drive. The only load there is the weight of the rider. Absorb the bumps. I would get cheap MTB riser handlebars and cut the straight bits off with a hacksaw and use those. The rest of the frame looks as if they bought it from a plumbing supply shop.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Does it matter how stiff it is at the back? It does not transmit the drive. The only load there is the weight of the rider. Absorb the bumps. I would get cheap MTB riser handlebars and cut the straight bits off with a hacksaw and use those. The rest of the frame looks as if they bought it from a plumbing supply shop.

The swing arms looked pretty engineered to me, though.

Andrew Dressel

Yes, it is quite heavy. The carbon tubes are nice and light, but the mild steel lugs weigh a ton. My student, Anthony Peirson, wanted something bullit proof that he could build quickly and accurately, and that's what we got. Worked great at the AMSE HPVC a few weeks ago in Michigan, where the course is pretty flat, and the students even rode it to and from their airbnb each day on semi-paved trails.

Yes, it looks like a standard swing-arm and bellcrank setup except that we added a way to vary the geometry to tune the stability. It can go from as statically stable as a rigid tricycle to as unstable as a bicycle, and everywhere in between, without tilt-lock. That's the intellectual property we are trying to protect and commercialize.

The swing arms do look great, but are probably not suitable for commercialization. We're thinking more carbon tubes and metal lugs for version 2.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Yes, it is quite heavy. The carbon tubes are nice and light, but the mild steel lugs weigh a ton. My student, Anthony Peirson, wanted something bullit proof that he could build quickly and accurately, and that's what we got. Worked great at the AMSE HPVC a few weeks ago in Michigan, where the course is pretty flat, and the students even rode it to and from their airbnb each day on semi-paved trails.

Yes, it looks like a standard swing-arm and bellcrank setup except that we added a way to vary the geometry to tune the stability. It can go from as statically stable as a rigid tricycle to as unstable as a bicycle, and everywhere in between, without tilt-lock. That's the intellectual property we are trying to protect and commercialize.

The swing arms do look great, but are probably not suitable for commercialization. We're thinking more carbon tubes and metal lugs for version 2.

Yours may be similar/same, but the again it may be different. I have designed a number of other variants of mechanisms to do programmable distance of rear end based on tilt angle (do a search for "balance assist tilting trike" for examples). I have a method that does the same thing using belt/chain and pulleys, and another method which uses non-circular gears, and one which uses a cam/camfollower.

I've also provisioned for changing the height of the rear end alone, e.g. in the case where you are attempting to change weight distribution from rear to front.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
which changes the rake and trail.

In my case with the programmable height based on angle thing, sure it affects trail/rake in minor ways, though the system of any tilting bicycle is more complex than you'd likely think-- rake/trail change when turning the steered wheel anyways for any bicycle.

In the case of changing height for weight transfer, ya-- absolutely changes rake and trail. I'd only want to do it when I could get any traction without it.

Danieleg

"This is an optional module which could be added to a Cruzbike (or any other "Forward Wheel Drive" bike like Raptobike). Here you will be able to see basic capabilities of this tilting trike: - agility/slalom - parking the bike - fast corners - start with both feet on the pedals - detailed view on the mechanism from the rear"

Hi Opik, thanks a lot for your post it gives a pretty good insight on my solution!
As you correctly said this TILTING mechanism is designed to be installed on any FORWARD WHEEL DRIVE bike (like Raptobike, Cruzbike, Performer, Toxy-ZR etc.)

To be precise this "Delta E-Trike with solar panels" is based on my Raptobike.

The video you have linked in your post was published few months ago on a Cruzbike where I installed this mechanism.

The Cruzbike owner was really impressed and now he is a very happy "Cruztrike" cyclist and he is having a lot of fun!
Cruzbike Alain.jpg
After that video Maria P. wrote to me and she was also quite excited about this solution, but since then I didn't hear anything ....

I have received quite a few questions to sell this mechanism but for the moment it is still a "working prototype".

The "tilting lock" is currently working by pulling the rear brakes lever: in this way the bike stands up and it is possible to keep both feet on the pedals.
Several people asked me if it is possible to keep the locking mechanism "on" when riding at low speed, say 5 or 6 mph going uphill.
This is not possible currently, since the locking mechanism need to completely stop rear wheels.

Therefore this is the next evolution I am planning, in order to have:
- the current "soft locking" solution that can be used when the bike has completely come to a stop.
- a new additional "hard locking" solution that can be used at low speed.
I'll keep you posted....

Last edited:

Danieleg

@Opik,

I have a 48V - 700 Wh battery which could give me 150km of range without any solar charge.
Of course it really depends on the type of road, speed, load, wind, altitude gain, etc.
I consider a pretty good performance to be able to keep 4-5 wh/km.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Up up and away. Absurd ideas sometimes have merits. Just supposing a S40 had 3 wheels and a parasending chute ... that would have to be the most incredible experience. You would even be able to cycle back home easily after landing

Gromit

Guru
Up up and away. Absurd ideas sometimes have merits. Just supposing a S40 had 3 wheels and a parasending chute ... that would have to be the most incredible experience. You would even be able to cycle back home easily after landing
It's already been done! ;):) Yes, I know that it's not an S40 but at least it's FWD.
Check out the Fresh Breeze Flyke Paramotor Trike.
https://www.freshbreezeuk.com/fresh-breeze-flyke

Last edited: