V20 Bottom Bracket

Randyc3

Hi All,
Test riding a V20C in a few days.....so starting to think about components. Many parts will be moved over from my S40 if I go for it.
Any recommendations for a T47 GXP ceramic bottom bracket? I have checked out T47I-GX-RD-BLK-ASMCT by bbinfinite and T47-iGXP (Sram GXP) by Kogel. Others?
Thanks in advance.

Randyc3

Thanks and please post as to how it goes. Looked at Chris King which is very nice. Safe riding.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I'm coming up on 900 miles on my bbinfinite bottom bracket. Easy to install. No complaints. Bearings spin nicely. It should outlast me.

Duncanleon

You might want to look at ChrisKing Bottom brackets. They can be a bit pricy but will outlast and outspin a ceramic BB. I've had both. I had to replace the ceramic after 2 years but that was because of the the roads in Au. The Steel bearings of the ChrisKing on that DF and now on my V20 are still going strong.

Im told that it's also a "name dropper" for tech afficionados if that matters.

Some of their higher end BBs have a lifetime warranty and advertise that it will outlast the bike it all depends on how much you want to spend
The ChrisKing BB's come with a warrantee. That speaks pretty loudly. The ceramic BB I had on my DF gave up after 2 years of chipseal AU roads. The ChrisKing BB replacement was still going strong after 4 years. 2 years ago I converted to V20, I automatically went with the ChrisKing in my build budget. The cost differential is offset by how long you will have the BB without any problems with regular maintenance vs changing out the ceramics a couple of time in the same time period. They make all sorts for all types of threads lengths and diameters so take the time to research and order correctly. If you can't take the time, your local bike store can get select and order it for you

I’ve got a slight problem that I need some advice on.. I bought the Shimano Dura Ace 9100 BB for my V20 build and realised when I received the BB socket that the latest BB from Shimano has 39mm OD end caps but the socket (and I assume the boom fixing shells) has a 44mm OD. I can fit the BB as I’ve since bought an adaptor that Shimano make.

Will this cause me an issue with lateral movement as the dished end cap will not butt up against the BB end cap profile or will I be able to simple reverse the end caps and have the flat side interface with the back of the BB caps?

I will have to try assembling it if I don’t get advice here or buy another BB that is compatible with the Dura Ace Crank that has the traditional 44mm OD

Beano

Reading your post again you're building up a v20 and not a v20c?

If the latter then you do need a t47 bb as per the specs. If the former then you can go with the current DA bb but you will need some shims.

Reading your post again you're building up a v20 and not a v20c?

If the latter then you do need a t47 bb as per the specs. If the former then you can go with the current DA bb but you will need some shims.
It's a V20 Beano. The 9100 BB I have is the English thread and for a 100mm gap I believe. My only worry is that the end caps are dished and I assume (not sure) they are shaped to take the standard 44mm diameter end cap... mine is 39mm and therefore 5mm smaller.. I did wonder if I could reverse the caps as mentioned or fit a 5mm O ring between the cap and clamp.

I may just bite the bullet and buy a Hope BB (good make here in the UK with a range of colours available) and sell the one I have. The outside diameter wouldn't matter on a DF bike but clearly on the CB is could impact on usage

Beano

Hope BB will work. Currently have a GXP one as I run a Quarq PM. But I know the issue you are talking about. Originally I built up my first v20 with an ultegra bb which had the correct cup diameter. Bought a DA bb and it is a slightly smaller diameter
As you have said presumably to save weight.

Hope BB will work. Currently have a GXP one as I run a Quarq PM. But I know the issue you are talking about. Originally I built up my first v20 with an ultegra bb which had the correct cup diameter. Bought a DA bb and it is a slightly smaller diameter
As you have said presumably to save weight.
I've just found a Hope BB with the right diameter new (Facebook Marketplace) for £50 which is half price , they have replaceable bearings too so it's a no brainer... I'll list the DA one for sale and call it a lesson learned...

I’ve got a slight problem that I need some advice on.. I bought the Shimano Dura Ace 9100 BB for my V20 build and realised when I received the BB socket that the latest BB from Shimano has 39mm OD end caps but the socket (and I assume the boom fixing shells) has a 44mm OD. I can fit the BB as I’ve since bought an adaptor that Shimano make.

Will this cause me an issue with lateral movement as the dished end cap will not butt up against the BB end cap profile or will I be able to simple reverse the end caps and have the flat side interface with the back of the BB caps?

I will have to try assembling it if I don’t get advice here or buy another BB that is compatible with the Dura Ace Crank that has the traditional 44mm OD
Do you have the older style chainstay that clamps to the bottom bracket cup? (As described in post #16 of this thread). The newer chainstays clamp to the boom, so BB cup style doesn’t matter.

Do you have the older style chainstay that clamps to the bottom bracket cup? (As described in post #16 of this thread). The newer chainstays clamp to the boom, so BB cup style doesn’t matter.
Here’s mine… the clamps seem to meet with the boom not the cup so maybe the recess is to allow the BB end caps to sit in close proximity?

The recesses are at the back on the photos

Attachments

• 51BFD35E-9F26-4966-8C4F-C33371BE35BF.jpeg
    51BFD35E-9F26-4966-8C4F-C33371BE35BF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 9F9495E9-F9E5-45AC-ADFC-11764F86FDC4.jpeg
    9F9495E9-F9E5-45AC-ADFC-11764F86FDC4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • F89EEF52-1780-4CA9-9B1E-87FD03BC0199.jpeg
    F89EEF52-1780-4CA9-9B1E-87FD03BC0199.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

Beano

Yup, did not think of this. Trouble is I have built up an old V20 where the BB cups were clamped and a newer V20 where the boom is clamped.

@Steve Heywood Yes, Matthew is right and with the newer clamps it does bind to the boom so you should be good to go with whatever BB you want to use.