V20 conversion from narrow 700mm wheels to wide 26"

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The V20 crown race (and all crown races) are specific to the bearing. The V20 has an integrated headset - meaning there are no "cups" to go into the head tube - the races for the bearings are built into the tube itself. This is minimalist design (not my fave) and the new V20C finally abandons this to use actual cups (though they are internal cups not external like the S40) The S40 uses a standard press-in headset (Cane Creek) and those bearings will only fit the cups they are designed for.

So on the V20 there should be only the crown race, two bearings in the head tube (top and bottom) and a top compression/centering ring over the steer tube.

Check out this old assembly manual - it has images for the fork and bearing install.

Attachments

• V20-Assembly-Manual-Cruzbike.pdf
    431.3 KB · Views: 14

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Thanks Robert. Looking at the picture in the manual, I was more confused as there are two split rings above the top bearing, neither of which look like the rings I have.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Thanks Robert. Looking at the picture in the manual, I was more confused as there are two split rings above the top bearing, neither of which look like the rings I have.
Robert,

I found my missing red bearing. It had the pieces that are in the manual, so I don't think there is anything missing. I'll put it together, ride it tomorrow and see how it does. I'll let you know.

Bill

The V20 crown race (and all crown races) are specific to the bearing. The V20 has an integrated headset - meaning there are no "cups" to go into the head tube - the races for the bearings are built into the tube itself. This is minimalist design (not my fave) and the new V20C finally abandons this to use actual cups (though they are internal cups not external like the S40) The S40 uses a standard press-in headset (Cane Creek) and those bearings will only fit the cups they are designed for.

So on the V20 there should be only the crown race, two bearings in the head tube (top and bottom) and a top compression/centering ring over the steer tube.

Check out this old assembly manual - it has images for the fork and bearing install.
Nice assembly manual, I don't think I got one with my 2016 model. Instead I followed the excellent Build Diary by @ratz.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Nice assembly manual, I don't think I got one with my 2016 model. Instead I followed the excellent Build Diary by @ratz.
I used the assembly manual, but that's a nice build diary by Ratz.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I think my tires are 28 mm on the V20 with no issues. Sure would like to go bigger for the occasional gravel on the tours.
I now finished putting an S40 fork on my V20. It works!! It took some instruction from Robert at CB to get the bearings right. Basically, you must use the bearings from the V20, not S40. Now I can ride with 2 inch wide Schwalbe Marathon Mondale tires. It fits fine on the front. The back fits, but its a close call. If I pump up the back to full 80 psi, it'll rub. Luckily, I ride at around 65-70 psi, and it fits fine. One way to get the tire centered with the frame is to pump it to 80 psi with the quick release open. Then close the quick release. Release air until you have a comfortable clearance. Done. I plan to use the modified V20 for touring using a set of radical design panniers and a light trailer. With the Thor Carrier seat, it's like riding in a lounge chair. I upgraded to a 1x12 SRAM Eagle AXS component group with 10-52 freewheel and 46t chainring to get the low gears for hills. I'm super happy with the result.

Velocivixen

I’m reviving this slightly older thread because I’d like an update. Overall, did this change give you the ride feel & control you were looking for?
Part of my interest is that I’ve just put Schwalbe Big Apples 2” on my 26” wheels. Thanks.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I love my 2 inch Schwalbe Mondale's. The 26 inch wheels made it possible with my V20 using an S40 fork. All worked out great. I'm even runnning them tubeless even though they are not tubeless tires. Still works.

I have a Thor Carrier seat with the extra thick cushion. It's now the most comfortable bike I've every owned, even on 70 mile rides. My only pain is exercise pain. No recumbutt or other issues. I'm planning to use if tor touring with a trailer and some smaller banana racer paniers.

I also upgraded my drivetrain to SRAM Eagle AXS. Unfortunately, the derailleur got damaged (don't know how) and I had to send it in for warrantee repair. I just got a replacement yesterday, so I haven't had much time on the bike. Tomorrow I'll get it ready for the road and take it out on Monday. I do love the SRAM AXS over the Shimano DI2. All wireless and electronic. It's a thing to behold.

Animal494

I love my 2 inch Schwalbe Mondale's. The 26 inch wheels made it possible with my V20 using an S40 fork. All worked out great. I'm even runnning them tubeless even though they are not tubeless tires. Still works.

I have a Thor Carrier seat with the extra thick cushion. It's now the most comfortable bike I've every owned, even on 70 mile rides. My only pain is exercise pain. No recumbutt or other issues. I'm planning to use if tor touring with a trailer and some smaller banana racer paniers.

I also upgraded my drivetrain to SRAM Eagle AXS. Unfortunately, the derailleur got damaged (don't know how) and I had to send it in for warrantee repair. I just got a replacement yesterday, so I haven't had much time on the bike. Tomorrow I'll get it ready for the road and take it out on Monday. I do love the SRAM AXS over the Shimano DI2. All wireless and electronic. It's a thing to behold.
Can’t wait to see pictures of how the wider tires fit/work and your eventual touring setup on the v20!

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Can’t wait to see pictures of how the wider tires fit/work and your eventual touring setup on the v20!
The 2" tires work great, but there's no extra space between the back chainstay and wheel, so you have to be sure to center the wheel before locking down the quick release. I did have problems with my back tire losing air. The tires are not tubeless, but I am running them that way anyway. I had to replace the back tire with a Surly ET 26 inch by 46 mm, which is a little shy of 2 inch width. It works well tubeless. My front tire is still the beloved Schwalbe Mondales and I haven't had to put air in it for weeks. I don't know why the back tire wouldn't work. My rims are the same, front and back.

Edit: I'm reluctant to add pictures as I'm often mocked here for my exceedingly poor bike hygiene. I just don't care what my bikes look like. I do maintenance where it counts.

Karl42

The 2" tires work great, but there's no extra space between the back chainstay and wheel, so you have to be sure to center the wheel before locking down the quick release. I did have problems with my back tire losing air. The tires are not tubeless, but I am running them that way anyway. I had to replace the back tire with a Surly ET 26 inch by 46 mm, which is a little shy of 2 inch width. It works well tubeless. My front tire is still the beloved Schwalbe Mondales and I haven't had to put air in it for weeks. I don't know why the back tire wouldn't work. My rims are the same, front and back.

Edit: I'm reluctant to add pictures as I'm often mocked here for my exceedingly poor bike hygiene. I just don't care what my bikes look like. I do maintenance where it counts.

Hi @Black Hawk Down,
I'm considering the same conversion process by putting an S40 fork into my V20. Despite your reluctance about adding pictures, it would be extremely helpful to see what you have done and how your Schwalbe Mondial tires fit. Could you perhaps show some pictures? It's ok if the bike is dirty - riding on bad or dirty roads is the whole point of this :)

Also, now that you've had this setup for a while, would you still recommend it?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Hi @Black Hawk Down,
I'm considering the same conversion process by putting an S40 fork into my V20. Despite your reluctance about adding pictures, it would be extremely helpful to see what you have done and how your Schwalbe Mondial tires fit. Could you perhaps show some pictures? It's ok if the bike is dirty - riding on bad or dirty roads is the whole point of this :)

Also, now that you've had this setup for a while, would you still recommend it?

If you plan to either tour or occasionally ride on gravel roads, I do recommend the conversion. Note that the tires are heavy and not super fast on the road. I don't care about speed, but I love their offroad capability. Also, the tires are 2" so they are a cushy ride. Finally, I use them in a tubeless configuration. The tires are not tubeless ready, but they seem to work well that way anyway. I haven't had a flat tire since I converted. Beware that the back fork barely fits the tire and only if inflated to less than 60 psi. I keep mine at 50 psi. I have no trouble with rubbing but the tire has to be well centered. The front fork has plenty of room. Currently, I have a Surly Extra Terrestrial 26x46 tire on the back, but the Mondial's work just as well. However, I'm guessing you need a 26 inch wheel on the back for these tires to fit.

Another challenge is the fork bearings. You must use the V20 bearings with the S40 fork. When I did the swap, I mixed up the V20 and S40 bearings. It was a bear to get them sorted out with a lot of help from Robert Holler. Make sure you photograph the order of the bearings and races when you remove them so you can put them back in the correct order.

Good luck.

1706117134540.png

Front Fork:

1706117185265.png

Rear Fork:

1706117249393.png

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Believe it or not, the tire does not rub on the back, but you need to center the tire well before locking the quick release. Lots of room on the front.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I prefer 26”, wide tires too. I use the Performance version of Schwalbe Big Apples & they just float along…..
Unfortunately, that has a wired bead. I prefer foldables. The price is good though. Not sure how they would do tubeless as, like the Mondales, they're not tubeless ready. I have found the Mondales to work tubeless.

Karl42

Believe it or not, the tire does not rub on the back, but you need to center the tire well before locking the quick release. Lots of room on the front.

I got my set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Evolution tires 50x559 (26"x2.00") today. On my old set of 26" wheels, the rear fits my V20 without any problems. At 40psi I have 5mm clearance on both sides of the wheel. I didn't try higher pressures yet.
As expected, the front wheel with that tire doesn't fit into the stock V20 fork. I can put the wheel in, but the tire touches the fork on both sides and won't spin.
I ordered a spare S40 fork from Cruzbike that is in the mail now. Let's see how that works out.

Also, compared to my normal road tires, these Marathon tires feel ultra heavy duty and rugged, and more than twice as heavy. I'll put them in my old upright bike now (from which I borrowed the 26" wheels to try this) and do some gravel riding to try out these tires.

Last edited:

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I got my set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Evolution tires 50x559 (26"x2.00") today. On my old set of 26" wheels, the rear fits my V20 without any problems. At 40psi I have 5mm clearance on both sides of the wheel. I didn't try higher pressures yet.
As expected, the front wheel with that tire doesn't fit into the stock V20 fork. I can put the wheel in, but the tire touches the fork on both sides and won't spin.
I ordered a spare S40 fork from Cruzbike that is in the mail now. Let's see how that works out.

Also, compared to my normal road tires, these Marathon tires feel ultra heavy duty and rugged, and more than twice as heavy. I'll put them in my old upright bike now (from which I borrowed the 26" wheels to try this) and do some gravel riding to try out these tires.
Congrats on the fork. These tires are the perfect touring tire. They handle gravel fairly well and are not too slow on the road. However, Cruzbikes don't handle well in gravel, regardless of the tires. Also, if there's sand on the road, don't hit it at an angle or turn sharply. They will slide and go out of control. They seem to last a long time They are also very puncture resistant, but they do get flats. That's why I went tubeless. No more flat tires.

I'm also experimenting with the Surly ET 46 mm. The knobs are smaller than the Mondales so they may not be quite as good off road but maybe better on pavement. The design of the tread is very similar. I like them because they come tubeless ready where the Mondales do not.

Surly ET 26 inch by 46 mm

1706289497736.png

Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Evolution tires (26"x2.00")

1706289580848.png