V20 vs. V20c frame differences

TransAm

I'm transitioning from the V20 to the V20c, and I was curious about the geometry "tweaks" and other changes, so I put the frames side-by-side and photographed them for comparison. I'm posting the pics here for reference, in case anyone else is interested.

First an overview pic. The V20 is in front, the V20c is behind it.

20220911-3U2A8662.jpg

The hydroformed tube looks the same, but the rear triangle is different. The axle "dropouts" on the V20c are much larger and the seat stay tubes are welded to it separately, and not to each other as on the V20.

20220911-3U2A8614.jpg

The threaded flat mount brake mounting holes on the V20c (left) are incorporated into the dropout casting (note that they are spaced for a front brake adaptor plate in the rear). This replaces the ISO tab on the V20. The V20c still has caliper brake mounting holes, but with a straight lug. Also, the V20c top seat stay tubes are straight, not curved inboard at the attach point as on the V20. Otherwise, the rear geometry appears to be the same (note the tube through the axle holes to align them).

20220911-3U2A8623.jpg

The larger tapered head tube is obvious on the V20c at right. It is also positioned slightly further forward. I wasn't able to determine if the head tube angle was changed, but if there is a change it's probably minor.

20220911-3U2A8536.jpg

Above is a side view with a 1-1/8" tube through the head tube bearings to align them (a 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" crown race adapter and a V20 top bearing was used to center the 1-1/8" tube in the V20C)

20220911-3U2A8502.jpg

Above is a close-up showing the rear axle is about 1/2" further back on the V20c with the head tubes aligned. I'm not sure if the front axle also moved on the new fork.

20220911-3U2A8517.jpg

Above is a side view showing the bottom seat stays on the V20c (top) are welded to the hydroformed tube using a lug, rather than being welded directly as on the V20.

So that's what I see so far....

M.J

The V20C is supposed to be able to fit bigger tires. When I had 28mm GP4000s on, which are known to run a little large, they rubbed at the brake bridge. The new bridges don't look to be any farther forward than the old ones. A few mm would make the difference, can you measure the axle to brake bridge distances and compare?

TransAm

The V20C is supposed to be able to fit bigger tires. When I had 28mm GP4000s on, which are known to run a little large, they rubbed at the brake bridge. The new bridges don't look to be any farther forward than the old ones. A few mm would make the difference, can you measure the axle to brake bridge distances and compare?
I don't have a measurement, but I can confirm that the V20c has more clearance at the center of the brake bridge; and it has even more room on each side because the brake bridge is straight, not V-shaped.

Also, I ran Conti 4-season 28mm on the V20 without rubbing.

TransAm

As a side note, it is theoretically possible to kitbash the V20 & V20c to create a Frankenbike. i.e. V20 front end on a V20c back end. While waiting for new parts for the V20c, I temporarily mocked this up to work on a problem with the adjustable seat (when extended to full length, the top of the seat back hits the ski jump at the top end of the hydroformed tube).

The secret ingredient is a 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" crown race adapter, e.g.:

VGEBY Bike Headset Sealing Spacer, Aluminium Alloy Race Reducer Headset Base Compression Ring Conversion Adapter Spacer

20220914_181024 (1).jpg

I rode this around the block a couple of times for testing only, but will be putting the V20c carbon front triangle on now that I have the parts to make it work (if you look closely, you can see I have the adjustable seat shimmed to temporarily get around the interference problem).

Last edited:

TransAm

And, for reference, here is how god intended it to be:

20220916_181634.jpg

It may be an optical delusion, but the old fork may have had a more relaxed angle. Edit: I updated the pic with one taken from the same distance, and the fork angle looks the same now.

Last edited:

TransAm

I am curious - what kind of electronic shifting system do you have? Is it Eagle GX AXS?
Yes, I just bought the upgrade kit. I use a thumb shifter rather than brifters. The disadvantage of 1x is 2t jumps, but the advantage is simplicity.

TransAm

Thanx for posting these excellent transition/comparison photo's.
Are you re-using the same componentry that you had on your v20?
Have you already posted your component selections?
Drive train and chain?
Wheels, tires?
Brakes?
Yes, I re-used as much as possible from the V20. The drivetrain was Eagle AXS 1x with Quarq DZero DUB 165mm carbon cranks; that stayed the same, except I had to get the SRAM T47 DUB internal BB (note this uses an uncommon 52mm, 16-notch bottom bracket tool).

I also switched to TRP HY/RD flat-mount cable-actuated hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors (note the rear required a tandem bike length brake cable). I use plain brake levers with a thumb shifter, not brifters.

The wheels are Specialized Axis Centerlock disc, take-offs from my 2017 Roubaix. The tires are WTB Exposure 30mm tubeless with Vittoria Air-Liner road foam inserts size L.

Here's a link for a deal on a pair of the HY/RD calipers with the front mount plate needed in the rear of the V20c:

TRP HY/RD Road Hydraulic Flat Mount Disc Brake Caliper Front / Rear or Pair

TransAm

Well, I got rolling just in time to make my first ride on the V20c the Cruzbike Century Challenge completion!

View attachment 20220918_184645 (2).jpg

I bent down the old headrest tubing to move the race case so it would not be way up high in the sky.

My first impression is that the V20c is more stable at high speed. Also, the carbon front end is much quieter.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Off topic-ish question - are those tail boxes available anywhere?
Cruzbike is working on a new version of the tailbox. This last one seemed to rattle apart at the seems after so many miles - the rougher the roads the quicker it shook apart. I am sure when they get a new one - it will appear under the accessories

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Dreaming of a full tail fairing box with 30-70l volume again. :D
I have mounted a 21 liter M5 race case to my V20 - Mathew Fri also mounted one to his new V20C. Weights only 800 grams! You will need to build an adapter but it easily mounts to the headrest tubing. It is not cheap, but with Euro to $ exchange at 1:1 - this is a good time to buy it. Is ships from Europe so that is probably another $100.20211205_122630.jpg
M5 CHR tailbox.PNG