Velogical Rim Dynamo audax u not.

jond

Zen MBB Master
So dynamos beards cyclin sandals and long socks are audax nirvanas.for some lol.

I already have a hub on greenspeed gto and it’s been great. But adds some weight. Cue the 70 gram Velogical Dynamo.

Later this month I take delivery of the velogical sport dynamo to be paired with a b&m iqx 100 lux light. Also pair to voltage regulator so I can charge cache battery ,phone etc.

I’m sick of flat under performing battery packs n lighting caused by light inactivity over summer and that’s all down to me.

I will report back how little dynamo goes soon but it looks pretty sweet mate.

Paruig

I know someone with the low-speed model which sounds as though he has an electric motor when riding near him.
I hope the sport model is quieter.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
As the owner of two Schmidt dynamos I have to say that that looks pretty sweet mate. How many modern dynamos run on the rim instead of the tyre? I hate battery lights. If you are charging your phone, you could charge an electronic shifter.

Electric bikes and dynamos. A cyclist can use energy or generate it.

nobrakes

Look forward to your report - I quite fancy something like this on my ICE trike for commuting with too.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I know someone with the low-speed model which sounds as though he has an electric motor when riding near him.
I hope the sport model is quieter.

Yes I read varying reports on noise generation. The sport model is for higher speeds.
Most reports I found seemed positive. And compared to the old bottle or b&m effort it is quiet. I don’t think it will be as quiet as my Schmidt hub on my gto greenspeed though

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes I read varying reports on noise generation. The sport model is for higher speeds.
Most reports I found seemed positive. And compared to the old bottle or b&m effort it is quiet. I don’t think it will be as quiet as my Schmidt hub on my gto greenspeed though
I will be interested on your comments once it is up and running!

Will you have enough power in your NSW legs to run it?????

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Looks interesting.

I've never had problems with batteries on Audax but looking forward to your report

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
So dynamos beards cyclin sandals and long socks are audax nirvanas.for some lol.

I already have a hub on greenspeed gto and it’s been great. But adds some weight. Cue the 70 gram Velogical Dynamo.

Later this month I take delivery of the velogical sport dynamo to be paired with a b&m iqx 100 lux light. Also pair to voltage regulator so I can charge cache battery ,phone etc.

I’m sick of flat under performing battery packs n lighting caused by light inactivity over summer and that’s all down to me.

I will report back how little dynamo goes soon but it looks pretty sweet mate.
I cannot recommend Velogical dynamo for audaxes and to be installed on Vendetta. More on this later. I have one on my Vendetta and use it on LEL...

jond

Zen MBB Master
I cannot recommend Velogical dynamo for audaxes and to be installed on Vendetta. More on this later. I have one on my Vendetta and use it on LEL...

Oh come on already what issues don’t leave me hanging now the dynamo is in the mail. That’s just cruel..and now I feel stupid for not asking if anyone had purchased one. Ok it’s later hit me.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I will be interested on your comments once it is up and running!

Will you have enough power in your NSW legs to run it?????

Slim I thought you would avoid any such discussions re power generation since south Australia is devoid of power ,young people ,potable water and nice climate. Lol. Now remember to vote labour on Saturday jay and nick are depending upon your vote.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Looks interesting.

I've never had problems with batteries on Audax but looking forward to your report

Ixon iq premium Exposure Strada 1200 road. Chinese magic shine 808 are the battery lights I have. The b&m ixon iq premium is the best as it allows aa battery x 4 recharge or alkaline. The others have degraded battery packs over summer due to nil use. The exposure was great till it was stolen.

I tried storing the lithium ion batteries in fridge. .......75% charge but still degraded.

I guess those 300 recharges must be regular and ideally a commuter special.

Heck I’ve had new battery packs fail immediately Magicshine. In fact I sent a round plug pack back a week ago.

Snilard will be telling us the issues he had with the velogical.

It should be noted it is built for led lighting .

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Oh come on already what issues don’t leave me hanging now the dynamo is in the mail. That’s just cruel..and now I feel stupid for not asking if anyone had purchased one. Ok it’s later hit me.
First challenge was installation. You shoul install it that dynamo axis is vertical to allow water escape from dynamo's internals. Only vertical stay of the V is fork. But is is aerodynamically shaped. So I had to made my own mounting socket out of 3mm threaded rod. There is a little space between fork and rim. You need that force pushing dynamo's o-ring to rim to be perpendicular to rim surface to avoid sliping. So I ended in position where dynamo is not touching braking surface of rim but just under the surface. I had putted hard rubber shim to inner side of fork. Othervise dynamo's mounting plate had only 1-point contact with fork and it was swinging. Mounting plate should be as parallel to rim as possible.
velogical.jpg
To my concerns:
  • Sliping. If not properly installed may slip under heavy load (electrical load) even when rim is dry. In wet conditions like rain it slips. So Your light output is greatly lowered if there is some light output at all. So from my point of view some buffer battery is necessary. That means lowering system efficiency.
  • Sound. It is loud. More power you suck more decibels you get from the dynamo. This is what I really hate on this dynamo.
  • Thermistor needed to work with usual dynamo light. You are wasting energy in bulb what is lightning your legs and blinding you. I had made my own electronics what does not waste energy so this wasn't concern for me until my electronics stopped working and I had to switch to thermistor/bulb current limiting.
So for brevet riding in calm countryside at midnight you need exact opossite. Dynamo what is silent and realiable. This dynamo is silent only in rain but the silence means that it is not producing energy.

Good luck. If you find any better position than the fork I will be glad to know it.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Slim I thought you would avoid any such discussions re power generation since south Australia is devoid of power ,young people ,potable water and nice climate. Lol. Now remember to vote labour on Saturday jay and nick are depending upon your vote.
Dear Misguided NSW Jond, We (SA) have the BEST weather, as NO Earthquakes destroying Newcastle, NO FLOODS that inundate Northern NSW towns like Lismore, at least twice per year, and the Hunter valley every 2 years, NO massive fires that threaten INNER Sydney, and I could go on for ages!!!

I will vote Labour, so the state that has the largest Battery in the world, and 50% power from renewables, can continue to lead the world!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
First challenge was installation. You shoul install it that dynamo axis is vertical to allow water escape from dynamo's internals. Only vertical stay of the V is fork. But is is aerodynamically shaped. So I had to made my own mounting socket out of 3mm threaded rod. There is a little space between fork and rim. You need that force pushing dynamo's o-ring to rim to be perpendicular to rim surface to avoid sliping. So I ended in position where dynamo is not touching braking surface of rim but just under the surface. I had putted hard rubber shim to inner side of fork. Othervise dynamo's mounting plate had only 1-point contact with fork and it was swinging. Mounting plate should be as parallel to rim as possible.
View attachment 6495
To my concerns:
  • Sliping. If not properly installed may slip under heavy load (electrical load) even when rim is dry. In wet conditions like rain it slips. So Your light output is greatly lowered if there is some light output at all. So from my point of view some buffer battery is necessary. That means lowering system efficiency.
  • Sound. It is loud. More power you suck more decibels you get from the dynamo. This is what I really hate on this dynamo.
  • Thermistor needed to work with usual dynamo light. You are wasting energy in bulb what is lightning your legs and blinding you. I had made my own electronics what does not waste energy so this wasn't concern for me until my electronics stopped working and I had to switch to thermistor/bulb current limiting.
So for brevet riding in calm countryside at midnight you need exact opossite. Dynamo what is silent and realiable. This dynamo is silent only in rain but the silence means that it is not producing energy.

Good luck. If you find any better position than the fork I will be glad to know it.
At 40 Kph the Velogical will be spinning at 6,370 RPM, so maybe the noise is from the magnets going past the coils?

McWheels

Off the long run
Surely a 3N31 from Shimano? It's by no means the most efficient or light, but for price vs performance it's epic. I'm running a second-hand 3N30 (old model) well into 3k plus miles on my V2k. Plus my first one of those on a 700c wheel has done 7500 miles, is on it's 3rd bike and still working faultlessly. Both silent, pretty much undetectable and never been serviced.

jond

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 6495
To my concerns:

So no problems then. Thanks lol.

Snilard I spoke via email with owner of company. Like you I thought mount front fork but no the position for vendetta “is on rear “so I have mount coming for rear. Yes the exact orientation of dynamo is critical. I expect some noise in accord with my research but most people find it not distracting. The themistor bulb must be used as part of the circuit and should be positioned sensibly. Lol. So as not to distract.

Slippage is not reported as a problem.

Did you try and mount the dynamo on rear.? Is your model the sport model ?wait I see your model is not the sport model. And running the o ring off the brake surface is not to spec.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Surely a 3N31 from Shimano? It's by no means the most efficient or light, but for price vs performance it's epic. I'm running a second-hand 3N30 (old model) well into 3k plus miles on my V2k. Plus my first one of those on a 700c wheel has done 7500 miles, is on it's 3rd bike and still working faultlessly. Both silent, pretty much undetectable and never been serviced.

I see shimano too are making 1.5 watt dynamos now.

I think the son hubs still lead the pack in terms of expense and generally good experience.

But sp and shimano make great and cheaper alternatives.

I went Schmidt SON because I had no option for my gto trike.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I expect some noise in accord with my research but most people find it not distracting.
It may be better when mounted on rear but I don't like that I hear my dynamo. I have some cheap Shimano on my T50. I cannot feel that it is slowing me. I can see it on GPS but cannot feel it. But on Vendetta I hear the dynamo and thus I feel that it is slowing me. And this is realy bad feeling on such a fast bike.

Slippage is not reported as a problem.
I was in conversation about slippage with manufacturer and It is known issue for them.
I was testing it with pretty heavy load on dry rim. Load much heavier than 1 LED front light. I wanted to suck as much as possible. It is slipping even with light on wet rim.
I changed my mind how I would like to use the dynamo. My loads will be much lighter. So I may rethink the position in future.

Did you try and mount the dynamo on rear.? Is your model the sport model ?wait I see your model is not the sport model. And running the o ring off the brake surface is not to spec.
No I didn't. I didn't wanted to have cable between main frame and bike front-end. I have normal version. I wanted to have high enough voltage from as low speed as possible.
Another concern with the dynamo what I have is that it has usable voltave for my electronics from about 15 km/h. Right now I have provisional setup with 2 LEDs front light connected via diode bridge directly to dynamo (with thermistor) and when I ride uphill I am neerly blind because dynamo cannot deliver enough power at such high voltage needed for 2 LEDs.
One of reasons why I bought the dynamo was that it has completely different voltage/current characteristics than classic hub dynamo :) I have found that this characteristic is not suitable for my purposes without buffer battery between dynamo and light.