Velogical Rim Dynamo audax u not.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
There are my comments after few years of usage:
I have mounted my Velogical to front fork of my V20. Currently my setup is this: dynamo -> my custom battery charger -> 1S Li-pol battery -> my custom LED driver -> 2x LED. I also have experience with more classical setup: dynamo -> current limiting bulb -> diode bridge + capacitor + super cap (for stand light) -> 2x LED.
  • I would recomment setup with intermediate battery if You are really dependent on the light and have to be able to ride in any condition like. I mean dark night in the middle of nowhere during brevets when You are running out of time on completely unfamiliar road. I have experienced dynamo slipping during rains on LEL 2017. This may not be a concern with 1LED lights with more advanced electronics like SON Edelux. But it is just my guess. Both of my setups need about 6V AC to start working while Edelux may start working at lower voltages. Voltage characteristic of Velogical is way different from hub dynamos. Velogical voltages are lower and currents higher. If you want rain proof dynamo for brevets and want to use only commertially available parts I would recommend hub dynamo.
  • Intensity of the sound is dependent on load. Both my systems start working a full power at about 15 km/h. So the sound is the most annoying at 15 - 25 km/h range. You hear aerodynamic noise more than dynamo above 25 km/h.
  • Lowest speed in what You start feeling drag of the dynamo is also dependent on connected appliance. I notice the biggest difference at arround 18 km/h. I still think that I feel it. Or I can see it on my speed on well known segments.
  • You get used to the sound after some time. But it is so unusuall that it will attract other's attention. I would say that some people may think that I have electric engine. But the sound has one big difference from sound of engine, intensity end frequency changes with You pedal stroke. When You coast it is even sound but whey you pedal you can hear your cadence in the sound. Or at least I can hear my cadence, my pedal stroke is quite square.
  • I really like that I can engage and disengage dynamo while riding. Hub dynamo will have some resistance with connected lights even when you turn it off. I like it's low weight. I don't like that it is obstructing space in tight fork of V when I am unmounting and mounting front wheel. Fortunately I have rim brakes. I think that it may be impossible to mount front wheel if I would have disk brake or I would have to change possition of the dynamo to chainstay or to rear wheel. I don't like how close are the dynamo and mounting plate to my spokes and valve stem.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Perhaps it is your custom setup. ="snilard, post: 152590, member: 4346"]There are my comments after few years of usage:
I have mounted my Velogical to front fork of my V20. Currently my setup is this: dynamo -> my custom battery charger -> 1S Li-pol battery -> my custom LED driver -> 2x LED. I also have experience with more classical setup: dynamo -> current limiting bulb -> diode bridge + capacitor + super cap (for stand light) -> 2x LED.
  • I would recomment setup with intermediate battery if You are really dependent on the light and have to be able to ride in any condition like. I mean dark night in the middle of nowhere during brevets when You are running out of time on completely unfamiliar road. I have experienced dynamo slipping during rains on LEL 2017. This may not be a concern with 1LED lights with more advanced electronics like SON Edelux. But it is just my guess. Both of my setups need about 6V AC to start working while Edelux may start working at lower voltages. Voltage characteristic of Velogical is way different from hub dynamos. Velogical voltages are lower and currents higher. If you want rain proof dynamo for brevets and want to use only commertially available parts I would recommend hub dynamo.
  • Intensity of the sound is dependent on load. Both my systems start working a full power at about 15 km/h. So the sound is the most annoying at 15 - 25 km/h range. You hear aerodynamic noise more than dynamo above 25 km/h.
  • Lowest speed in what You start feeling drag of the dynamo is also dependent on connected appliance. I notice the biggest difference at arround 18 km/h. I still think that I feel it. Or I can see it on my speed on well known segments.
  • You get used to the sound after some time. But it is so unusuall that it will attract other's attention. I would say that some people may think that I have electric engine. But the sound has one big difference from sound of engine, intensity end frequency changes with You pedal stroke. When You coast it is even sound but whey you pedal you can hear your cadence in the sound. Or at least I can hear my cadence, my pedal stroke is quite square.
  • I really like that I can engage and disengage dynamo while riding. Hub dynamo will have some resistance with connected lights even when you turn it off. I like it's low weight. I don't like that it is obstructing space in tight fork of V when I am unmounting and mounting front wheel. Fortunately I have rim brakes. I think that it may be impossible to mount front wheel if I would have disk brake or I would have to change possition of the dynamo to chainstay or to rear wheel. I don't like how close are the dynamo and mounting plate to my spokes and valve stem.
[/QUOTE]

jond

Zen MBB Master
I’ve just ordered another velogical sport dynamo and iqx light. Set up is great for me and my paradise weather.

Long term all I did was change o ring and faff with dynamo position as I upgraded to disc brakes on vendetta. The noise of the dynamo became a friend

running on tyre wall was fine. Not much rain riding though but some.

this will be four dyno bikes. I have a cheap axa hr dyno on the hurricane and whilst it is heavier 130 grams v 55-70 grams it has proven reliable. It uses a stainless shaft in a bronze bushing x 2. I believe velogical uses bearings but I’m not sure. Son hub still going strong.

battery lights in meantime have moved on. 1000 lumens for $30 is pretty compelling. And I still love ayups. 1400 lumen set.

however most battery lights with me fail to get used enough so dynamo is for me.

son dynamo aluminium wheelset Hunt around $1000 or carbon 2k. Plus cost of light. Around $180.

Velogical dyno plus the iqx light around $500.

Less weight daylight running nil impact save for actual weight around 200 grams or less total.

Happy customer.

Andreas

View attachment 7624
So update on velogical dynamo.

Now fitted to yoleo disc brakes carbon 50 mm wheels. Running on 28 mm tyre surface as a trial. So far so good.

Happy with it and iqx light. Very impressive.

Hi @jond
it's very interesting that you run the dynamo on the tire.

I myself have the 3-phase generator, which I operate together with the "Forumslader" and an IQ X with an adapted circuit (also from forumslader.de).
So far I have only operated the whole thing on my ICE VTX.
Rarely have I been so enthusiastic about a purchase as I am about this system.
With PBP 2019 I was able to keep the light, Garmin and mobile phone alive easily.
In direct comparison with another randonneur with a standard Velogical, my generator seems to be much quieter and sounds more sonorous, from 25 kph I can't hear it at all.

However, it has worn away the paint on my rim (disk brake). There I have a silver running groove, which is not very noticeable on the white rim.
And now I plan to do a BRM 600 on my V20 but don't want to ruin my black rims.
I didn't think you could run the velogical on the tire sidewall and I'm afraid that my Continental 5000 will be damaged.
Do you know how many kilometers you drove with the dynamo on the tire and whether you noticed abrasion or damage?