Vendetta vs Silvio

Hey everyone,

I know this should be in one of the vendetta or silvio forums but hated to put it in one just to get one sided answers. I'm thinking about buying either a Vendetta or Silvio and am having a hard time deciding which model to choose. I'm riding some weekly club rides and am having a hard time keeping up with my friends on conventional bikes. I have a couple of Catrikes, a Catrike Musashi, and a Bachetta Giro 26. Before I go throwing a bunch of money at the Musashi trying to make it into something that it really isn't designed for. I am able to keep up with bikes on the flats but once I get to any hills I get dropped like a bad habit. Most of my riding will be in suburban/rural roads but riding in traffic also needs to be something I can do with it. My gut is telling me the Silvio will do what I want but my brain is if I'm going to spend that much $$$ I may as well go all out with the Vendetta. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Lee,
I've ridden neither,

Hi Lee,

I've ridden neither, so please use this to weigh my response.

With the new Silvio seatback being much lower, the Vendetta is still more aerodynamic, but by less. (The Silvio 1 (1.5) is too high for my personal preference - I think the new Silvio is just about right).

The biggest difference at this point is that the Silvio is heavier, but has full suspension. Myself, not being a terribly light person, the few extra pounds don't make that much difference to me, but I do like having suspension (and my bikes have much worse suspension than the Silvio). The Vendetta is stiffer so that means less losses and better climbing, too.

I would guess that for most people, the Silvio is probably a better choice as far as being an everyday over not perfect roads kind of bike (although I wish both Silvio and Vendetta took slightly bigger tires). On the other hand, as you have other bikes in your stable, you don't necessarily need an all around bike, the Vendetta may be a good choice, too.

I don't know of anybody who's got a Silvio 2 yet. I am very anxiously awaiting comparisons between Vendetta 2 and Silvio 2. (Eric, have you ordered your Silvio yet? You know you're going to... :D).

Lee, I know you've enjoyed some two wheel bikes more than others. I recommend to people who are unsure if MBB bikes are going to work for them to try a conversion kit first. You can get a very good bike out of it (depending on what you put in) and even with a Vendetta/Silvio in your stable, you can easily find occasions where your conversion is what you'll want to ride (nice fat tires for trails and beaches, etc).

Cheers,
Charles

Jeremy S

Dude
IMHO

IMHO get a Vendetta if you are counting on winning races, otherwise get a Silvio. If you compare the latest versions, the Silvio looks like a great deal, with much of the same technology as the Vendetta, plus full suspension, for $700 less. I'd also prefer the more upright seat and lower pedals/BB on the Silvio for riding in traffic. In case you can't tell, I ordered a Silvio.

cp.....I am kinda thinking

cp.....I am kinda thinking that since I have a few bikes it may be wiser to go the Vendetta so I won't have as much cross over but otoh if I went with the Silvio I'ld probably sell my Musashi and Giro 26(well Giro anyway :) ). I'm not going to enter any races but I'ld like to be able to keep up with the middle paced local guys on rides. We don't have any mountains or anything here so it's mostly flatland and rolling hills. It's just frustrating to be able to keep up with everyone on the flats but even the slightest incline has me falling back. I know there's always room for improvement fitness wise and trust me I have room for improvement in that regard. I'm never really concerned with avg spd but would like to be able to keep up with others.

I have done some googling over the last few evenings and haven't seen any posts where the buyer is debating on the Silvio vs Vendetta. The Silvio is probably the more reasonable choice for a do all......guess I'm just double checking my thoughts/reasoning before I go spend all that $$$$ on a new bike. It's hard for me to pull the trigger on something without seeing it in person. It's hit and miss at times and hate to risk it on such a big purchase but I guess that's just the way it is.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
it's a tough decision

Hi Lee. I don't feel too badly for you and your dilemma; frankly, I would love to be faced with your decision. The Musashi is a very fast bike, but like your Bacchetta, neither are great climbers....not bad, just not great. You are looking at the right bikes if you want a bike that can fly on the flats and climb with the pack. I ride a 1.0 Silvio and after a month of riding it, I found that I was easily pacing a group that would often leave me struggling to hang on.

With your Mussshi, you already know how FWD feels; the MBB of the Cruzbike is a different experienve entirely. Give youself a few rides to get used to it and it becomes second-nature. In fact, after riding MBB, you might find anything else to be boring.

You can use this site to seek Cruzbike owners in your area. If you can connect with someone, maybe you can try a Cruzbike without the investment. Otherwise, if you can make the trip to NC, the Parkers would be the best people to see and learn about the bikes.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Lee,
I originally started out

Lee,

I originally started out to buy a Silvio. I test rode a used version 1.0 that was an absolute blast to experience but the fit was challenging as I'm short and stocky. I then decided to start looking at either a new or used Silvio 1.5 with the curved boom as it can accommodate short riders like myself.

Trouble is the more I looked at the Silvio and Vendetta the more I was drawn to the Vendetta such that I ended up buying a Vendetta.

That said, I still like the idea the Silvio represents and even more so now with the version 2.0. I told John that I think in some ways the new Silvio may cannibalize some of the Vendetta sales as it is now a faster, sleeker road bike - especially since they now share the same hydroformed frame and headrest.

On the other hand I think Silvio sales will go up because of the changes introduced in version 2.0 from folks that were drawn to the Vendetta but didn't quite want a full out time trial or racing bike but still wanted something sleeker and faster than the Silvio v1.x

As Charles mentioned, I'm planning on getting a Silvio 2 at some point I've just been too busy having fun with my Vendetta.

-Eric

I've owned a Silvio 1.5 for a

I've owned a Silvio 1.5 for a year now and I just bought a Vendetta 2.0. I've only been on one longish (70 mile) ride on the Vendetta. I love the Silvio but bought a Vendetta because I was looking for a more reclined back and lower handlebars. The promise of going faster played into it too! I haven't been on the V very long yet so I can't make a fair comparison between them yet, but here is what I noticed right away:

The V is a little faster downhills. I am sure that it is faster overall, but I haven't had enough time on the bike to experience that yet. I am still working on getting everything adjusted just right, and I am hopeful that doing so will make a big difference.

The Silvio is more comfortable. I never really noticed the suspension on the Silvio until I started riding the V! Now I know how well it really works. I feel all those road vibrations a lot less on the Silvio than I do on the V.

The V is REALLY reclined compared to the Silvio 1.5. I am still getting used to that. I never have to sit up on the Silvio. I do find myself sitting up sometimes on the V...like when I am getting started or going up a steep hill. Personally, I wouldn't mind a little less recline, but maybe I am just not used to it yet.

At this point, I would say that the new Silvio 2.0 sounds like it might have the best of both worlds (good seat angle with the comfort of the suspension).

I am not far enough ahead to say "looking back, if I could have only one, I would choose ____", but probably by the end of the summer I'll be able to make that statement.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
John, is your 70 mile track

John, is your 70 mile track one of the same ones you've done on your Silvio? If you've got Cyclemeter data for both, how do your numbers compare?

-Eric

Jake514

I do appreciate the

I do appreciate the information provided by everyone and am anxiously following this thread as I am in the exact same quandary as leeinmemphis - Silvio or Vendetta?

I only have about 10 minutes worth of riding on a recumbent (Bacchetta) so my experience is of little value except at 60 yrs. old I know I cannot tolerate a DF anymore - too uncomfortable.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
"I am able to keep up with

"I am able to keep up with bikes on the flats but once I get to any hills I get dropped like a bad habit."

If it helps you to make up your mind, I am 5'8" 192 lbs (20 to 30 lbs overweight) and tonight I joined the local group ride by catching on for 20 of 25 miles. Even at my weight and riding a first generation Silvio my stats are impressive by my meager standards:
  • Distance: 20.01 miles
  • Trip Time: 1:01:42
  • Avg. Speed: 19.44 mph
  • Max Speed: 39.26 mph
I have been able to ride with cyclists who normally would have left me in the their dust. I ride to the side of or behind the paceline, but I attack on every climb. With that said, if you want to be able to keep up with the group, the Silvio or Vendetta could be just what you need.

well I still haven't made up

well I still haven't made up my mind. I'm going to the Mid West Recumbent Rally in WI in August. I may wait until after that trip to figure it out.....kinda hoping maybe someone up there will have one or both up there for me to try out.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I've seen a Silvio or Two in Pictures There...

I'd love to do the Mid West Rally myself. I have seen pictures where a Silvio or two has popped up. No matter what you choose, you'll have plenty of chances to see and try out several different bikes.

Hi Eric,
  Yes, that route

Hi Eric,

Yes, that route was mostly my usual Saturday morning route. I hit a few Ride With GPS segments along the way and didn't do very well on any of them.

I went out for another ride today, and it was MUCH better. I finally got my Brain Box mounted in a way that does not squish my headrest cushion (I'll post details in a separate thread) and it made all the difference in the world as far as comfort. I was really surprised how much difference that made. Today's ride was only 35 miles, but I finally hit my elusive goal of a ride with a 20 mph average! I beat my previous best times on 3 of 6 or 7 Ride With GPS segments today (they were different segments than those of my 70 mile ride).

I still have a few more adjustments to make with the handlebars, but after today I feel a lot better about the Vendetta than I did yesterday. I was actually having a bit of buyer's remorse (and not wanting to admit it) but I can honestly say that it is gone now and I am pleased with the bike. :)

-John

Jeremy S

Dude
Lee

Lee, keep in mind that there seem to be no Silvio 2.0's in the wild yet (except maybe John T's prototype). It's a very different bike from the previous versions that you may see on the road.

Jeremy.....what you said has

Jeremy.....what you said has really been on my mind. The previous versions were great performance wise on the Silvio. Now with the upgrades on the 2.0 it probably is the better choice for me given the changes to the seat to be more "vendetta like". Does anyone know if the 2.0 Silvio is available yet for purchase????

Rod

Silvio vs Vedetta

I remember trying to figure out the same question before I bought my Silvio 1.5. At the time I read a post from someone who owned both a Vendetta and a Silio. That person was asked witch bike like ridding the most. How they answered that question helped me make my decision. If I remember right the answer was if they were going to race the Vendetta would be their choice, but if they just going to a ride or computing then the Silvio was the more comfortable bike. If I did not remember that post exactly right perhaps someone can correct me. Since I was not buying the bike to race I chose the Silvio and am very happy.

Jeremy S

Dude
You can order

Lee, you can order via the Silvio product page but I believe frames aren't shipping yet (at least mine has not). Perhaps after Maria finishes RAAM. Back in early May John said delivery was about a month away.

I sent an email to cruzbike

I sent an email to cruzbike and they replied back saying that I would probably fit better on the Vendetta because I am long in my torso. I keep flipping back and forth on what to do. Last night when I went to bed I was planning on going with the 2.0 Silvio but now that I've read the reply from cruzbike I'm again doubting my choice. I'm still thinking the Silvio is probably more practical/versatile but I hate to go spending $4-5k on a bike and make the wrong choice.

Jeremy S

Dude
I had no idea

I know the bikes have different geometries but I had no idea that the Silvio and Vendetta would fit different size torsos. I'm curious to know more. Were there any details in the e-mail you received?

Here is exactly what they

Here is exactly what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Cruzbike. Both bikes would work for you. The silvio is more upright and would be slightly more comfortable for casual rides while the Vendetta is more reclined and much faster. If you have a long torso you would benefit greatly from the more reclined seat angle that the Vendetta offers. Both bikes can keep up with upright bikes however, doing so on the Silvio would be harder to do than on the Vendetta. Please let us know if you have additional questions."