What did you discovered about your Cruzbike today

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Pretty same thread as "What did you do to your Cruzbike today" but taken from other side. What did you discovered about your bike? How did your bike surprised you? Positive or negative, doesn't matter.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I start with negative surprise.
While 25 mm Schwalbe Ones was perfect for riding in rain without mudguards 28 mm Pro Ones are not. Slick Ones caused that bike was wet while riding in water but not my hamstrings. It was lifting water only straight up. Pro One has minimal but thread. This thread lifts lots of water in all directions.
Lesson for me. Do not remove mudguards only for image.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I learned that wearing full length tights for extended rides (e.g., 12 hours) puts enough pressure on the kneecaps to cause sore knees on the outside and internal swelling. These are of the normal kind of tights. I had a similar issue years ago with the thicker tights that included the wind blocking for more extreme temperatures, but the problem happened on much shorter rides and was on a DF. I'm going to avoid riding with these types of pants whenever possible to preserve my knees and avoid repetitive stress injuries of this type.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I learned that wearing full length tights for extended rides (e.g., 12 hours) puts enough pressure on the kneecaps to cause sore knees on the outside and internal swelling. These are of the normal kind of tights. I had a similar issue years ago with the thicker tights that included the wind blocking for more extreme temperatures, but the problem happened on much shorter rides and was on a DF. I'm going to avoid riding with these types of pants whenever possible to preserve my knees and avoid repetitive stress injuries of this type.
Everybody is different. I am wearing knitted knee warmer all time on right knee to prevent soreness. Left is not so prone to cold but It would look weird with only one knee covered so I use warmers on booth legs while cycling. And of course not knitted but Licra ones.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
While riding home the other day on my V 1.5, in hard pursuit of a recumbent bike, my front tire lost traction.
I was powering through a turn in an intersection in front of all those cars stopped by the light, when I flew over a bump.
The drive wheel spun through about a quarter turn in the air before making contact with the tarmac again... and I was
leaning into the turn.
No worries.
The bike, the experienced reflexes... it was just another little blip.
Oh, the road was damp: I was also racing the rain home.

The recumbent got away.
I asked my girlfriend if she saw the recumbent pass by and she told me that I'd just missed it.
That was cool: it had about a half mile head start and it made the light I had to wait for.
The V is really fast uphill, man, and I almost caught up... plus I pulled a mini-wheelie in mid turn,
just like the old days.
I did beat the rain!
Fun: That's what I keep discovering!
Fun!

RAR

Monday I discovered not to pedal your Silvio across the steel grate draw bridge. The worst injury was to my back, it twisted me around rapidly and smashed my L1 vertebrae. Compression fracture they call it. I've ridden across that bridge for 14 years, never had a problem, until Monday. Here's pics if you want to see them {warning my butt is in the pics}.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/rando_rider/26861280152/in/album-72157668342907415/
I'm doing OK, just need to heal up for a while. Be careful, have fun.

Rick

Monday I discovered not to pedal your Silvio across the steel grate draw bridge. The worst injury was to my back, it twisted me around rapidly and smashed my L1 vertebrae. Compression fracture they call it. I've ridden across that bridge for 14 years, never had a problem, until Monday. Here's pics if you want to see them {warning my butt is in the pics}.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/rando_rider/26861280152/in/album-72157668342907415/

Rick
Sorry to hear about you accident.
I hope you recover soon.
I was not able to see your pictures.
On Flickr if the pictures are private only you can see them.
If your pictures are public, we can view the pictures.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

Rick
Those bridges grates are deadly. Heal well.

Bill K

Guru
Yesterday I discovered pinch flats.
I'm very much used to wide tires: 700c x 32 on the DF and 26 x 1.5 on the Bacchetta.
My V20 has 700c x 25 and my old squeeze test just does not work any more. 25mm tires need to be really "hard".
Now I am motivated to get some tubeless rims. And in the mean time, pump them up at least weekly.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Yesterday I discovered pinch flats.
I'm very much used to wide tires: 700c x 32 on the DF and 26 x 1.5 on the Bacchetta.
My V20 has 700c x 25 and my old squeeze test just does not work any more. 25mm tires need to be really "hard".
Now I am motivated to get some tubeless rims. And in the mean time, pump them up at least weekly.
I am very pleased with my DT Swiss R460/Schwalbe Pro Ono 28 mm combo. First tire was on with floor pump, second needeed compressor.

Bill K

Guru
Thanks for the suggestion on DE Swiss rims!

Oh, andI just remembered...
When you ride in the rain, the frame fills up with water.
If you just lift the front wheel straight up, like you are going to hang the bike up on a rack, all the water pours out in about 10 seconds.
It holds about half a liter, and it fills up in about two hours of rain.

Bill K

Guru
I start with negative surprise.
While 25 mm Schwalbe Ones was perfect for riding in rain without mudguards 28 mm Pro Ones are not. Slick Ones caused that bike was wet while riding in water but not my hamstrings. It was lifting water only straight up. Pro One has minimal but thread. This thread lifts lots of water in all directions.
Lesson for me. Do not remove mudguards only for image.

This reminded me of an amusing blog by Jan Heine on removing fenders:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/taking-off-fenders/

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have discovered that Speedplay Frog cleats cannot be fixed in position just by bolts.
On speedplay Frog cleats you cat setup fore-back position and angle of stop to prevent feet rubbing against crank arm. My physiotherapist setted angle to correct my knee position in way that I was pushing to this stop all time. After some time riding with this setting my knee pain returned. I realised that cleat has moved a lot. My heel has moved meybe 5 mm inward.
I moved my cleats to (I hope) correct position and filled space between cleats and sole with hot glue gun. I pre-heated cleat and sole by hairdryer to make better connection with hot glue.
I will add photo and experience later.

jond

Zen MBB Master
matej i am oldy/baldy enough to never need a hairdryer again..........

today I learnt to bunnyhop my vendetta at over 50klm/hr.

it is in fact quite easy despite the prone position.

1. you must do it just on dusk/evening and have a very strong headlight whilst travelling at over 50klm/hr.
2. you must clench your buttocks very tight and expect a rush of adrenalin and a thumping heart beat.
3. you must scare the poor rabbit into darting senselessly across the track.
4. you must trust in the lord and your 32 spoke wheels to hop over the said rabbit.
5. getting air is inevitable. the health of the rabbit is questionable but could not be found.
6. dont do it again.

seriously if the rabbit had made its way partially through the wheel it would have been decapitated and the result for me would have been........an off most likely.

i usually see the rabbits/ echidnas/ potteroos/ frog mouth owls /dogs/ cats/ snakes etc beforehand but not this time.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
today I learnt to bunnyhop my vendetta at over 50klm/hr.
Rather you than me. You did well to stay on. 53 is my top speed on the flat and the thought of bunny hopping at that speed is a remarkable achievement

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have discovered that Speedplay Frog cleats cannot be fixed in position just by bolts.
On speedplay Frog cleats you cat setup fore-back position and angle of stop to prevent feet rubbing against crank arm. My physiotherapist setted angle to correct my knee position in way that I was pushing to this stop all time. After some time riding with this setting my knee pain returned. I realised that cleat has moved a lot. My heel has moved meybe 5 mm inward.
I moved my cleats to (I hope) correct position and filled space between cleats and sole with hot glue gun. I pre-heated cleat and sole by hairdryer to make better connection with hot glue.
I will add photo and experience later.

Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for SpeedPlay Zero; those have a float range adjustment both in and out. No way you'd rotate them on the show. They are quiet workable on the V20, just keep them greased for easy clipin and clipout. Only problem the are rather expensive anyplace other than e-bay.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for SpeedPlay Zero; those have a float range adjustment both in and out. No way you'd rotate them on the show. They are quiet workable on the V20, just keep them greased for easy clipin and clipout. Only problem the are rather expensive anyplace other than e-bay.
Yes, I am. But I like walkability of MTB shoes, easy clip-in and clip-out of Frogs and I need to be able to clip-in when I meet some mud. So I hope that my solution will work.