What would you do?

jphipps

Ross, Paso is nice in the springtime and good in the fall. I am signed to do America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride on the second of June. It's a ride around Lake Tahoe, which I have done several times and can recommend as a very nice ride (unless its snowing!). The last time I rode I was the only rider on a Cruzbike, it would be good to have a group of Cruzbikes.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Maybe it is just me but it feels like we are getting closer to a critical mass at which point recumbents and Cruzbikes in particular will be common enough that the organized rides will start to actively recruit them and they will be common enough that there won't be any reluctance to try out a different style, like trying a fat-bike was not that long ago.

Rishi@Cruzbike

I'd buy all three - run tests for a couple years at every power level for all possible riding situations - then settle on the V20! (That is because after all the testing scenarios you will be super buff, and expert MBB rider and will just want to go as fast as possible. But that is just me! :rolleyes: - and everyone knows that's what I do! :eek:
In all seriousness - I would get the S40 - it is the most versatile, better ride, and seat angle is just not that much different than the T50 - so you will have the stability on the road in traffic.
(I ride the V20 on roads and in traffic, but would feel more comfortable on the S40 due to the visibility of it being higher in the air for motorists to see. (Still instal flags, lights, cameras, sirens, etc for safety)

HAHA.... I'd like to get all 3. The T50E (E-Recumbent :cool:), S40 for commutes/touring, and the V20 - so that I can join the CB-riders for the next Sebring.

S40 it is.

Rishi@Cruzbike

Your option to start with a T50 frameset could workout. You can recoup some of the T50 frameset costs by reselling here once you get a S40 frame.

I would set up the T50 with an Emiljay mod, and the the exact gear, including the Thor seat, you would want for the S40. Then ride it and optimize the T50 for a year. You will learn a ton and become proficient with your riding skills and confidence on the bike. You might decide the T50 is enough, or you would be ready and much more knowledgable for building your S40.

My T50 gets close to a S40, but I would need a different wheelset, controls, and gearing to close the gap further. But mine was designed as a commuter and excersise bike.

Good luck with whichever plan you choose.

Mark

I'm a DIY guy, and youtubing makes it possible to build my bike. I'd just be too impatient having to go thru the building and testing process.

The Emiljay mod, looks perfect for my next project. T50 frameset, and a torque sensing ebike kit from Grin Tech.

Rishi@Cruzbike

Just put the Thor Easy Seat on my S40 and what a difference. I ordered the regular Ventisit pad but found it a little rough and not very cushiony. The VS with CB pad on top is perfect. Just finished my first century ride w the setup - Redbud Ride in Kentucky - and it is worlds better. Much more support for shoulders.

HAHA... looks like the Seat question is settled too.

I love this forum :)

Rishi@Cruzbike

Ross, Paso is nice in the springtime and good in the fall. I am signed to do America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride on the second of June. It's a ride around Lake Tahoe, which I have done several times and can recommend as a very nice ride (unless its snowing!). The last time I rode I was the only rider on a Cruzbike, it would be good to have a group of Cruzbikes.

The only fun DF bike left, for me, is a MTB. Now that I'm looking to get a great touring recumbent, I've also been looking for riding locations. Once I get my self confident to tackle road riding, I'll definitely be looking to such bike tours.

Rishi@Cruzbike

S40
Let me echo the prevailing sentiment - get the S40! I got an original model with the 2x10 SRAM gearing (50/34; 11/36 with the 42 tooth "one-up" option
replacing the 36
that was available at the time ). If anything, I'd be willing to go back to the smaller 36. I hardly ever use the 42 (>17% grades). I do not own a car at the moment and commute daily to work. Once you've got the hang of the FWD-MBB, stability, handling and maneuvering in traffic all get progressively easier. I'm at least as fast as I was 30 years ago - now, anyway. When I started I hadn't ridden for 15 years and was pushing 240lbs. Riding the S40 was the most fun way to lose 75lbs I can think of and I've hardly noticed as my weekly mileage has crept up. When the bike is this much fun, you look forward to getting on it!

Getting healthy is my primary goal. I love bike riding, but can't make myself to ride a DF everyday. Too many aches in too many places after the ride, and that keeps me form going back to it. Now that there exists a recumbent that does well climbing too, it's just the obvious choice.

Rishi@Cruzbike

After reading all the posts, to my dilemma :), I've not only decided on the S40, but also love how active this forum is:emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you all very much. It's been fantastic getting your thoughts. Let's keep this going for a bit longer

--> There's an S30 for sale near me. I'd appreciate any input form you guys in this. Is the S40 in whole another league? :D

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I keep reading about having shorter cranks on Cruzbikes. How do they help?

2 ways:
1) they allow you to keep your knee-bend on the upstroke at, near, or maybe even more open than 90 degrees, which is better on your knees in terms of pain and wear and tear

2) they help you get the thigh and knee clearance to the handle bars that you need, while allowing you to keep your arms reasonably extended. every cm you shorten your cranks allows you to have your bottom bracket a cm further from your bars at maximum leg extension while still having your reach to the pedal where you like it; and every cm you shorten your cranks means a cm of extra thigh/knee clearance on the upstroke. this is additive: 1 cm shorter cranks effectively gives you 2cm of extra bar clearance, without losing power. (there are studies to show that shorter cranks--within limits-- don't decrease your power even though the 'lever' is shorter)
(the opposite of shortening your cranks is also true when it comes to bar clearance: for every 1cm longer your cranks are, you lose 2cm of bar clearance)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
--> There's an S30 for sale near me. I'd appreciate any input form you guys in this. Is the S40 in whole another league? :D

I own a V20 (obvious from photo:rolleyes:) and love it but have ridden S30 and S40. I like the S30 a lot, but no interest in buying one, whereas I'm giving serious thought to adding an S40. Far more versatile, apparently about as fast as S30, and no headrest needed. also more carrying capacity if you need that.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
There were a several iterations of the S30. Technically the Silvio and S30 versions could be taken apart and packed into airline luggage (barely). Here are the differences that I can think of:

Silvio 1: (the original performance Cruzbike)
-welded frame
-straight road components
-straight front triangle
-dual suspension

Silvio is the first Performance Cruzbike: Splits into Silvio as Road/touring machine and Vendetta as Race specific

Silvio 2 & 2.1:
-hydroformed frame
-curved front boom
-evolved into S30

In between somewhere people started occasionally calling some of them Silvio 3, or often called Silvio S30 in error - see @Robert Holler 's message several posts below machines that still had the same Silvio 2 features:
-27 degree seat angle
-dual suspension (air head-shock thing and rear elastomer) - some swear it was great, some say gimmicky, some say never really worked - probably depends on the person, setup, type of roads you ride, etc.

S30 (has suspension/geometry changes):
-only sold for a short while
-basically same as original except no front shock, 33 degree seat angle, and different head angle
-slightly different paint scheme
-some say short wheel base good for maneuverability, some found head position hard on balance and short wheel base a little harsher

S40.1:
-no active suspension
-larger tire clearance and larger tires came stock
-rear triangle is welded frame triangle similar to "regular" bike
-wheel base lengthened significantly - improves stability (think loaded touring and straight line no hands)
-adds many attachment points for racks, fenders, etc. that were not on S30

S40.2 (current):
-1x drivetrain
-even more tire clearance and larger tires - up to gravel bike sizes??

S40.3 (Next generation - Hoping for a near future unveiling)

I think I have most of it right. Let me know of any errors so I can correct them. (Corrections made --Thank you @Robert Holler)

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Since you are purchasing your new bent mainly for commuting and not all out speed, I would still choose the S40. It will be a little slower than the S30 but not significantly based on the speeds you will probably be going.
Once you get the real speed bug and want to race and go really fast, then you can look around for a used V20!
I would consider getting SRAM etap setup - or the Di2. I have had both and prefer the etap! - that way you can very quickly and easily move the parts from one frame to another (i.e S40 - V20, etc - you end up saving money in the end because you only had to buy one set!
My 2 cents (no worth much these days!) - :rolleyes:

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay so i have sat quietly as long as i could.

since everyone knows that one cruzbike is a lonely bike and your friends wont ride with you if you don't have two, you should long term plan to have two cruzbikes. and since you are planning to have two, your first should be an easy to ride all purpose bike, so your second one can be a fast zipper, that may not be as easy to ride. so, i will have to suggest a used Q of some version. easy to learn, better all purpose bike than a v20 and a better starting value than a t50. i have a t50 and it is my give to others to ride bike as it is nutty easy to ride, and its my experiment bike, and its also my ride on crushed limestone and crappy dirt bike. it is not set up to be fast. it is set up to be my adult sting ray. in fast last weekend i put a 406 on the front and it was my version of the a 60's schwinn krate, a pea picker since my t is green. the guy i first convinced around here to get a CB got a used quest. great all arounder. not slow not super fast, easy to ride. not as cool as a q45 but more refined than a t50.

then, having learned how to ride and played with whatever stuff comes on it, and work on it so you are familiar with the systems, , you could then get #2, and be able to go full bore on a v20 frameset, build it yourself, buy a thor seat and let the market perfect electrics and 12 speed cassettes.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
There were a several iterations of the S30. Technically the Silvio and S30 versions could be taken apart and packed into airline luggage (barely). Here are the differences that I can think of:

-welded frame
-straight front triangle
-dual suspension

Silvio is the first Performance Cruzbike: Splits into Silvio as Road/touring machine and Vendetta as Race specific

Silvio 2:
-hydroformed frame
-curved front boom
-eventually name transitioned to S30

S30 original:
-27 degree seat angle
-dual suspension (air head-shock thing and rear elastomer) - some swear it was great, some say gimmicky, some say never really worked - probably depends on the person, setup, type of roads you ride, etc.

(I'm not sure if there was an in between version)

S30 final version:
-basically same as original except front shock removed resulting in 33 degree seat angle
-some say short wheel base good for manoeuvrability, some found head position hard on balance and short wheel base a little harsher

S40.1:
-no active suspension
-wheel base lengthened significantly - improves stability (think loaded touring and straight line no hands)

S40.2 (current-sold out):
-1x drivetrain

I think I have most of it right. Let me know of any errors so I can correct them.

This is not entirely correct. There was only ever ONE actual S30 production run. "Silvio S30" for the bike before the actual S30 was produced is nomenclature only - that was a "Silvio" production run that became in name "Silvio S30." The actual S30 had a solid front fork (and different head tube angle) and "S30" logo on the side, and a triangular hole in the rear gusset as opposed to the Silvio that has a round hole. If there are pics on the internets of one that have the "S30" paint on the side and a round hole in the gusset those are photoshop - the REAL S30 had a triangular hole.

There are still current second-production run S40's available.

Rishi@Cruzbike

2 ways:
1) they allow you to keep your knee-bend on the upstroke at, near, or maybe even more open than 90 degrees, which is better on your knees in terms of pain and wear and tear

2) they help you get the thigh and knee clearance to the handle bars that you need, while allowing you to keep your arms reasonably extended. every cm you shorten your cranks allows you to have your bottom bracket a cm further from your bars at maximum leg extension while still having your reach to the pedal where you like it; and every cm you shorten your cranks means a cm of extra thigh/knee clearance on the upstroke. this is additive: 1 cm shorter cranks effectively gives you 2cm of extra bar clearance, without losing power. (there are studies to show that shorter cranks--within limits-- don't decrease your power even though the 'lever' is shorter)
(the opposite of shortening your cranks is also true when it comes to bar clearance: for every 1cm longer your cranks are, you lose 2cm of bar clearance)

It didn't make sense till I sat down in a recliner chair and acted out your descriptions. Got a core workout too LOL. Thanks:D

Rishi@Cruzbike

-welded frame
-straight front triangle
-dual suspension

Silvio 2:
-hydroformed frame
-curved front boom
-eventually name transitioned to S30

S30 original:
-27 degree seat angle

(I'm not sure if there was an in between version)

S30 final version:
-basically same as original except front shock removed resulting in 33 degree seat angle
-some say short wheel base good for manoeuvrability, some found head position hard on balance and short wheel base a little harsher

S40.1:
-no active suspension

S40.2 (current-sold out):
-1x drivetrain

I think I have most of it right. Let me know of any errors so I can correct them.

WOW. Guru indeed.

I upgrade my PC every 18 months. Looks like I might have to do the same with Cruizbikes :cool:

Rishi@Cruzbike

okay so i have sat quietly as long as i could.

since everyone knows that one cruzbike is a lonely bike and your friends wont ride with you if you don't have two, you should long term plan to have two cruzbikes. and since you are planning to have two, your first should be an easy to ride all purpose bike, so your second one can be a fast zipper, that may not be as easy to ride. so, i will have to suggest a used Q of some version. easy to learn, better all purpose bike than a v20 and a better starting value than a t50. i have a t50 and it is my give to others to ride bike as it is nutty easy to ride, and its my experiment bike, and its also my ride on crushed limestone and crappy dirt bike. it is not set up to be fast. it is set up to be my adult sting ray. in fast last weekend i put a 406 on the front and it was my version of the a 60's schwinn krate, a pea picker since my t is green. the guy i first convinced around here to get a CB got a used quest. great all arounder. not slow not super fast, easy to ride. not as cool as a q45 but more refined than a t50.

then, having learned how to ride and played with whatever stuff comes on it, and work on it so you are familiar with the systems, , you could then get #2, and be able to go full bore on a v20 frameset, build it yourself, buy a thor seat and let the market perfect electrics and 12 speed cassettes.

HAHA... that was precisely my original dilemma. I've had a Q559 (for 6 months, 3 years ago) and a Q45 (for 6 months, just sold it). I didn't give them the amount of riding time I should have. I can ride trails just fine. It's riding in traffic that gives me pause. I was probably hasty in selling the Q45, but just couldn't wait to get the next upgrade.

I'm going to get the S40, not sure if I want to build from frameset, and with the T50E coming soon....;):)

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hi everyone!!!

Bought most of the groupset, and Thor seat.
Shimano R8050GS R-Del.
Shimano R8050 F-Del.
Shimano R8050 Shifter set
Wire, JCT boxes etc...

I'm having trouble sourcing the following:

1. Di2 R8050 compatible 155mm 34/50T crankset? The smallest one i can find is 165mm
2. 11 speed 26" tubeless ready rims - disc (I'm only 5'7" and believe it will be easier learning on 26". I'll get 700C set later)

Already drooling for my bike:D

Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
I use a Rotor 3d+ with 155mm cranks on my V20. Works well with the DI2 derailleur.
If you go this route, be sure you get the correct bottom bracket. The crank shaft is 30mm dia. Many cranks are 24mm.
Also check out Bikesmith. I have no personal experience with them but they have a great reputation.