Wondering about the fastest, while wide-range, drivetrain

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Go 12 speed... lose the brifters... get some aerobars and attach brake levers. Try to go electronic with blip switches for gear up and gear down and you will be so fast and light.

Tor Hovland

I worked it out to be (40-23)+(46-11)

Oh, I understood that part. What I don't understand is how you made that work, as no rear derailleur supports more than 47t, as far as I can tell. But I know Shimano is a little conservative about these numbers, and you can go a little beyond them, at least if you're OK with sacrificing some shifting performance.

Beano

Oh, I understood that part. What I don't understand is how you made that work, as no rear derailleur supports more than 47t, as far as I can tell. But I know Shimano is a little conservative about these numbers, and you can go a little beyond them, at least if you're OK with sacrificing some shifting performance.
It was a long cage ultegra shadow rear mech on a wolf link

Tor Hovland

Go 12 speed... lose the brifters... get some aerobars and attach brake levers. Try to go electronic with blip switches for gear up and gear down and you will be so fast and light.

Even if I did, I don't think there are any electronic derailleurs that will give me the capacity I need.

Tor Hovland

It was a long cage ultegra shadow rear mech on a wolf link

That's even more impressive, as it only has a 39t total capacity!

What I think this means is that you could only use the low gears on the small chainring. Which is of course the ones you need the most, but still.

Right, I see that is indeed what you wrote in your post.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I seem to recall someone did a hybrid. Sram 1x GX AXS RD (10/52) with 2x FD. I think he said it actually shifted fine mixing 1x with 2x except more noises near small small or big big gears. That was really interesting.

I’m very happy using SRAM’s 1x 12 speed that has 520% range. If I was going to do some steeper stuff, or loaded hill climbs, I would use a smaller chainring and sacrifice the ability to pedal up to 40+ mph.
Pro: no more front derailleur. Con: fewer gear choices (at 20 mph I choose 77 or 87 rpm cadence.)

Attachments

• 7826DDED-F687-4C2F-8D12-B85C93B227ED.jpeg
    7826DDED-F687-4C2F-8D12-B85C93B227ED.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 9

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Tor, here is my progression to my current setup. Probably not very enlightening, but here goes.
11 speed Shimano R7000 105 52/36 with 11-25.

Changed small ring to make it a 52/34 for about $10 to hopefully give my V20 enough to get over my most difficult climb. It barely was.

Changed RD and FD to SRAM Force 12-speed AXS, and bought a 12-speed Ultegra 11-30t cassette to use with my R7000 105 cranks to be able to get over what I believe will be my most difficult climb. I didn't think it would be enough, so I bought a 12-speed Ultegra 11/34 which should be enough. My short cage RD won't go bigger than an 11/34 cassette. I could be wrong but I believe SRAM Force AXS long cage RD will go up to an 11/36t.

The 52/36 wasn't tall enough and I was spinning out on the descents where I could occasionally get up to about 70kph, so I bought a 53t chainring for my R7000 cranks to make it a 53/36 for about $40. I have been looking for a 55t big ring, but they are not available for my R7000 105 cranks. I would have to jump to a Dura Ace crankset, which wouldn't be too expensive with an older model. However, I am virtually maxed out with the FD because the FD stalk on my V20 doesn't seem to be long enough to mount the FD with a 53t chain ring installed. I could go to a 1x with an older model Dura Ace 55t (inexpensive) for my usual rides to give me that extra speed on the small descent I have in mind when there is a HELLA tailwind, but in reality that is only a few times a year where it would occur.

So now I am running a 53/36 and an 11/34. My low speed balance issues on my V20 are essentially non-existent at anything lower than about 6kph which is what I would be capable of on "small/big" with my current setup, so I doubt I will be getting a long cage RD to give me an 11/36 capability because even if I was capable of keeping it upright at 3-4kph I'd most likely get off and push instead of wobbling off the shoulder and into traffic.

With all of that said, I could switch to the SRAM GRX AXS RD to give me access to I think a 10-50t SRAM cassette, but my wheels don't have SRAM drivers, so it would also likely require buying new wheels.

Last edited:

Tor Hovland

There's a new king in town. When it comes to derailleur max capacity, that is. It used to be the Shimano Deore XT RD-M8000 with 47T capacity. Now there is the Shimano Cues RD-U8020 with 48T capacity. And it supports 45T cogs, as opposed to just 42T.

Only problem it introduces a new pull ratio called Linkglide. So not only are there no compatible road shifters (yet), there are also no Jtek Shiftmates that will work, I think.

But it got me thinking... has anybody put MTB trigger shifters on their drop bar Cruzbike? Think about it, we only really use one hand position anyway (the drops). In that respect it is the same as riding a flat bar MTB. It should be possible to position a trigger shifter in the right spot for the fingers. Sure, it's going to look odd, but it might work. Or will it?

slu800011r.png

Tor Hovland

Having re-read the thread, I think the most promising option is to keep my 11-42T cassette, and to replace my chainrings with Wickwerks 53/34. This requires a capacity of 50T, but really only 48T since I won't use the low/low crosschain combination. And that's just one tooth beyond my RD-M8000 capacity. Which is fine since I can live without using the 13T cog with the small chainring as well.

has anybody put MTB trigger shifters on their drop bar Cruzbike?
On my V20 I used the SRAM AXS trigger shifters with mtb brakes on a Soma Gator drop bar. It worked well, but I would occasionally hit it with my thigh and the ergonomics of hand positions didn’t feel quite right. Also maybe less aerodynamic. I’ve since switched to the SRAM brifter which is fully compatible with the Eagle electronic derailleur. I’m glad I did.
My S40, however, is set up with cable actuated mtb trigger shifter & brake combo on the Soma Gator bar.

Flying Dutchman

I've heard very positive reviews of the Campag Ekar 1 * 13 (at least on gravel bikes). Of course it's expensive (it's Campag after all :)) but with a 13-ring cassette 9 - 42 and a 44 chainring, you have top speed and climbing with reasonably small steps.
Campag of course has the thumb-shifter on the hood which sticks out a bit so I'm not sure how comfortable/reachable that is on a Vendetta.

DavidCH

I use an x-shifter with a 12 gear configuration and got rid of the brifters and front deuralleur. If you go for this try to buy an extra battery as its pretty useful on a long ride

3bs

whereabouts unknown
hey tor
i still run my wickwerks 53/34 and 11/36 on my v. but, on my gravel experiement. up front 50/34 and rear 11/42. even with stupid cross chainig, i only lose on gear.

i tried the 53/34 and the 11/42 as a 2x10 and it worked but you must have discipline becuase from a practical stand point you lose three gears. i lack that and i dont ride the gravel bike that fast so i went back to 50/34

Tor Hovland

Yeah, I've ordered a Wickwerks, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. It makes sense to me, because I will need both the 53 and the 34 :)

I'll see how well it works with the 11-42 cassette, and then I'll rather just downsize that to whatever works well enough.

DavidCH

Hi @Tor Hovland , here are the photos.

I am thinking about getting the medium sized chainstay as i have a large , which is too horizontal for me with hills. I think the optimum is something in between.

The cranks are 155mm.

I'm a bit adventurous with the brake cables but I check for fraying every time I go for a ride. But there is like very little drag.

Compress_20230731_203616_6120.jpg

Compress_20230731_203615_5384.jpg
Compress_20230731_203616_6471.jpg
Compress_20230731_203615_5769.jpg

Last edited: