Zwift - Cruzbike Activities (races and group rides)

@trplay looks like you did well against @LarryOz ! Once he moves to the A grouo, we’ll get some time back from him! ;)

Sorry that I did not make this AM. I woke up briefly at 4AM then went back to sleep until 6; I needed sleep today. I did check on Tuesday and did not see any of us signed up.

For me, the Sunday race is a nice time. Wednesday at 1725 also works well. It does mean outside riding needs to be done on Saturday, but that’s not bad. I will make a strong effort to get up for the Wed early AM ride as well.

Now to figure out how to get the Winter TT rides in as well!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@Pollock Thank you for the setup suggestions, I'll try them.

Don't count on me until I get all the bugs worked out of my trainer Zwift setup - I need a better portable device. I hope to be able to do Wednesday 1925EST or Sunday 1300EST.

I have several old notebooks that are just too old to handle Zwift even with max ram. Is it possible to run it on Linux? Zwift seems to say no? Can I run Zwift using only my phone?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

Don't count on me until I get all the bugs worked out of my trainer Zwift setup - I need a better portable device. I hope to be able to do Wednesday 1925EST or Sunday 1300EST.

I have several old notebooks that are just too old to handle Zwift even with max ram. Is it possible to run it on Linux? Zwift seems to say no? Can I run Zwift using only my phone?

I can run run Zwift on my phone but it’s a iPhone XS so I don’t know how many earlier models can handle it

I am not seeing a lot of useful info searching for Zwift wine. If you are not familiar, wine is a Windows emulator. In theory it could work, but in a quick search, I did not see anyone being successful with that combination.

Your best bet might be your phone. It comes up as installable on my iPhone 8 (normal/small screen). It should be on the Google Play store if you have an android phone. Of course, keep in mind all of your sensors will need to be Bluetooth to work with your phone.

I looked up the Hound & Hare race for tomorrow. Looks like due to the US early time change, this race is now at 6:30ET this week and next. That means it is a no go for me and I am usually getting ready and heading to the office by then.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I looked up the Hound & Hare race for tomorrow. Looks like due to the US early time change, this race is now at 6:30ET this week and next. That means it is a no go for me and I am usually getting ready and heading to the office by then.
Yes, I rode this race, but I am usually winding up my morning ride by the time this starts. Still it is always good to get in a 1 HR TT effort once a week, so I will probably adjust my schedule to do it.
About today: I did not feel all that "great" today compared to last week same ride, and it showed! Could have been the hard Century I rode on Monday or working 14 hours yesterday, or that I had chicken fingers for lunch! Who knows. I did manage to stay with the "B" main group pretty much the entire time this time, which was an improvement from last week. However, when the "A" group caught us, I was not able to stay with them nearly as long as I did last week. They were very strong and most of them averaged well over 4 W/Kg - which I cannot do (yet). :) So, I survived to live & ride & race another day! I still made it on the first page of the results, so good for Cruzbike visibility. :)
I do not know how that "C" rider that edged me out at the line managed to do it on 0.6W/Kg less than me!
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 09.06.25 AM.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Since the winter TT is over I decided to give my first honest effort up Alpert’s de Zwift. Previous PR was 49:40 which was a solid effort but not like a warm up, quick few off the bike stretches and then all out race effort. The new benchmark is 43:57 which should put in like 3000th place on strava’s segment leaderboard :lol

I’ll definitely be doing this route for the next TT challenge because I can see this each week taking my V20 climbing game to the next level. I can’t stress enough how important it is for me to see the road climbing ahead and me making the hard choice to not down shift and just push harder over the hump. Just like this past Saturday when racing against the fast guys in my local ride. Every time the road would kick up for 50’ and you’d expect they’d expect me to loose ground, is instead surge into the hump and pull ahead of the group forcing them to respond. Sure I’m putting out more effort but it’s a mental win for me and keeps the others questioning what they should expect from the bike that’s not supposed to be able to climb. If I can better my climbing ability on Zwift I think it’ll set me up well for the next few hard double century races.

LarryOz

I woke up at 2:15am this morning and could not go back to sleep. So I logged onto Zwift and rode in their 163Km "B" race as I knew today and tomorrow was forecast to be super rainy. It was supposed to be a steady state 3.0 W/KG, but seemed to fluctuate a lot. 127 riders started and only 18 finished I think. They were trying maintain 26+mph, and it got harder and harder as more and more people dropped out to help with the draft. I finished 2nd - My first podium in any Zwift event. And I think the older to enter the event. There might have been one other in the 60+ to start, but I was the only 60+ t0 finish. Also had the highest max heart rate at 186bpm which I think might be my max for the year so far. Nice to be done with a Century before 6:30am on Sat- lots of time left in the day for other stuff - although I might need a nap at some point! :rolleyes:
resutls 2019-05-11.PNG

LarryOz

Ok - so I rode the Giro d'Italia TT challenge this morning. I thought I had seen a few results in this thread, but do not see them now. My race started with over 200 people. I think I ended up around 20th.
It was short, and of course that last 1Km was pretty brutal. I was not sure how I was going to do on this after a pretty hard Century on Saturday, but I guess I did OK. I think I was 20th out of 200 or so on one report I saw, but then when I logged onto ZwiftPower it showed me at 10th - not sure how this placement system work - although I suspect people are being disqualified for some reason. Doesn't really matter I guess. It looks like I might have been the fastest "old fart" in the 60+ age group! haha
Wow - 2 top places aveaged 5.7w/Kg -t hat is incredible when compared to my 4.3
One person listed as 47.2 Kg and averaging 246w - Is that even possible - just barely over 100lbs.???

When climbing it does help to have those carrots out in front of you, but also demoralizing to get passed like you are standing still going up such a steep slope. I just can't put out those big watts though like some of those guys can and that is just that. Part of it might be laying back at 14 degrees, but the other part is being 60!. Having said that, I did not go as hard on the first half as I should have though and if I do it again will really try and push as hard before the climb as I did on the climb itself.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 08.50.41 AM.png

Here is my segment data from Strava: Stats say I averaged 282w for the 17:14 of the ride (260 for first half, 304 for 2nd half)- I am pretty satisfied with that number for now and it represents my highest 15 min power in the last 4 years looking at my power curve. :) I think I might be able to push it to 300w with a better effort. Might try in a couple days and see what I can through at it. So, I am 1,107 out of 15,492 - Gosh - only 1106 people faster that this old man! hahaScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 08.39.04 AM.png

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Raced my long time rival Derek today on my first ever Uber Pretzel attempt and didn't even know it and I lost :confused:.

After finishing my ride I check on the full segment and noticed Derek also happen to ride the Uber route like starting like 2 hours ahead of me, what a coincidence. Turns out he beat my time by 2:30 mins and unknown to me I was closing down the gap on the climb up the Alpe and got it down to under a min until I kind of blew up with 2 miles from the top. Would have been cool to have coordinated with him and ridden together but chances are it would have just forced both of us to push too hard and blow up that much sooner. This was my hardest indoor ride to date by a long shot and even though there wasn't a drop of sweat on the floor I was covered in more salt than a diners salt shaker, I have a very good fan. I even felt a bit ill for about 30 mins afterwards until my stomach finally got ahold of my post ride smoothie. Did the whole ride at 100% sim on 3 donuts before the ride then plain water, one sleeve of shot blocks and hot and spicy cheez-its. Maybe I should have prepared a sandwich or something else beforehand, maybe next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2381726339#60133931232

Untitled.png
Untitled1.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'll be on zwift for the next few hours and can log onto discord if anyone has questions for me that are maybe too complex for me to type out on a quite forum response, like @ccf and his corner questions.

Message me on the app otherwise, I'll be zoning out to some music for a bit.

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
I have signed up for the 6:30edt Vatternrundan Out and Back course twice. 50m/80km. Come out and play. If you don't want a whole 50mile. Come and ride 25. See you on Discord

The Zwift Academy 2019 is coming to a close today. For the last week or so, I have had 4 rides to complete; the last 2 workouts and 2 group rides. Of course, I left them all for this weekend. Luckily there have been some shorter races (2 laps around volcano circuit) every hour. One race and one workout is a bit tiring, but easily doable.

this morning I finally completed the last rides and graduated from it. If you are close, push through and finish up today!