Zwift - Cruzbike Activities (races and group rides)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
“switched on supercross and spun it out till I got to the epic kom climband then switch back to zwift to finish strong”

@RojoRacing the above statement - do you mean you watched super cross racing on tv while riding on Zwift? Curiosity kills cats and keeps me awake.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yeah I had recorded it the night before so after I got dropped I got off paired my headphones to my computer instead of my phone(music) and switched the screen to supercross round 1 while Zwift ran in the background. I do change the simulation setting to 0% so I don’t feel the changes in grade and I can just leave it in one gear and set a pace. I actually held a respectable 200+ watts while watching the races and even had another rider drafting me the whole time. Poor guy probably had no idea I wasn’t even looking at the screen while he attempted to work with me :lol I had the companion app open on my phone so when I saw we where getting close to the start of the epic KOM climb and switch the screen back to Zwift and the simulation setting back to 100% and tried to finish out the ride strong.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I just committed to taking the zwifting recumbent dork over to some darker waters, I just ordered my first zwifting unicycle setup. Nah I'm kidding, I just ordered a Concept 2 dowing machine because why the hell not and because I miss those days of racing motorcycle when I had the upper body strength of a gymnast. So for zwift should I call myself the Rowing Dork? Fish out of Water? Wet Recumbent?

ccooper

Congratulations.
It's a great exercise, but honestly Zwifting has it easily beat for fun potential.
Although your upper body is used, it's mostly the back. Your lats and biceps really amount to 10% or so of the total power, so it will help to build them up, but your strong legs will really be your biggest advantage.
Just as biking favors particular body types, the same is true for rowing. However there is a lightweight division, so as long as you are under 75kg you can compete with other small guys.

ccooper

I have no interest in rowing against other rowers, I’ll be entering Zwift races on my boat :)
I don't know if you're kidding, but you can do this. There's an app called RowedBiker just for this. I've never been able to get it to work.

There is one interesting feature. Since wattage for rowing is not directly comparable to wattage for biking, there is a fudge factor you can set in the app. It adjusts your actual wattage to a higher number which is more "bike like". In other words, it can easily become a cheating dial.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I don't know if you're kidding, but you can do this. There's an app called RowedBiker just for this. I've never been able to get it to work.

There is one interesting feature. Since wattage for rowing is not directly comparable to wattage for biking, there is a fudge factor you can set in the app. It adjusts your actual wattage to a higher number which is more "bike like". In other words, it can easily become a cheating dial.

Nah I want pure natural watts, if I'm weak at rowing it just goes to prove I was right in buying it. I want to get my core and upper body back to how it was before I broke my wrists, like when I was racing motorcycles and mtbs. I have a good handle on what I need to hook it up with zwift, the only question is figuring out if I want to set it up in my bedroom and use the PC or in the garage and buy an Apple 4k box. Bedroom is climate controlled but space would be tight next to the V20 on its trainer, The garage is whatever temp it is outside but has plenty of space.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Ok so I just committed to taking the zwifting recumbent dork over to some darker waters, I just ordered my first zwifting unicycle setup. Nah I'm kidding, I just ordered a Concept 2 dowing machine because why the hell not and because I miss those days of racing motorcycle when I had the upper body strength of a gymnast. So for zwift should I call myself the Rowing Dork? Fish out of Water? Wet Recumbent?
What kind of "dowing machine" did you get? Does if make $ dsough, or pizza dough, or donut dough? My guess is donut dough - :)

ccooper

There is a rowers on zwift facebook page with lots of info
Thanks for the pointer. I did manage to get it working using the PainSled app.
Now I think I need to set up a separate Zwift ID for my rowing, since my rowing wattage is lower than my biking wattage.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I may do the same - I really need to rebuild my upper body too! :D We shall see! :rolleyes: