New Vendetta V20

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Eventually all DF's are victims to a V - feels so great to pass them almost effortlessly!

Yeah just try this; look for a small pace line of 4 or 5 heading into a head wind. Rather then run them down; just take your time catching them so they can see you coming for a long time. Then when you finally do pass them; then finally pedal up to full normal speed so they know you'd been sand bagging it. After about a mile or two find some place where you can take a break and lett'em catch you for conversation at the rest spot. Generates more than a little interest in the bikes especially at social events.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
a V20 to come in at 8.3KG.
I *could* have another customer if he can reproduce that build

Pretty sure that's even within reach with 700c wheels if he has the budget. :cool:
Although 9.5kg and a 3lb diet for the engine is immensely cheaper. :p

Jeremy S

Dude
A friendlier forum would let you upload an image larger than 1MB, then downsize/recompress it on the server for storage, instead of putting the burden on the user. Ah well.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
A friendlier forum would let you upload an image larger than 1MB, then downsize/recompress it on the server for storage, instead of putting the burden on the user. Ah well.

Given how this forum is really their side business, I'm quite impressed they've gone through as much trouble as they have.

Photo sharing sites do exactly what you suggest (allow you to upload big pictures and share them as smaller pictures*), so if anybody has trouble resizing images, that's what I'd recommend doing.

* Once a photo is elsewhere, there is no size limit to posting it here, so resizing is no longer necessary. (Click on image below)

McMurdo_labeled.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Given how this forum is really their side business, I'm quite impressed they've gone through as much trouble as they have.

Photo sharing sites do exactly what you suggest (allow you to upload big pictures and share them as smaller pictures*), so if anybody has trouble resizing images, that's what I'd recommend doing.

* Once a photo is elsewhere, there is no size limit to posting it here, so resizing is no longer necessary. (Click on image below)
I use this method most of the time. That way the image can be vary large, zoomed into, and show off a lot of details on the bike...just make sure it's nice and clean like Ratz's Cruzbike are :D:D:D!

Jeremy S

Dude
Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the forum overhaul, and I think the photo uploading is a lot easier than it used to be, but there's always room for improvement somewhere. (Also I'm not sure the forum is such a side thing, it seems very comforting to new buyers.)

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the forum overhaul, and I think the photo uploading is a lot easier than it used to be, but there's always room for improvement somewhere. (Also I'm not sure the forum is such a side thing, it seems very comforting to new buyers.)

And there is nothing wrong in asking. :)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Joseph - Second Rick's remarks. :)
Eventually all DF's are victims to a V - feels so great to pass them almost effortlessly! (Ric has some great video footage of that)
But, I like you, prefer the give and take, the ebb and flow - let them pass you every once in awhile and then return the favor but with more fervor!
Keep riding - Train hard - Rest harder - Ride like the wind!
Two more unsuspecting victims presented themselves Thursday night. A draft was offered and accepted. The V slowly jacked up its speed to about 26. Number one held on for a few minutes but started making strange breathing noises - then (you guessed it) KABOOM! Number one quickly dwindled in the mirrors. Number two swung around number one, came on fast, and latched onto the gravy train. The V slowly jacked it up to around 27 or 28 mph. Number two held on for much longer than number one - very impressive - but all of a sudden (deja vu) KABOOM! And the V kept smokin' down the road like a runaway locomotive. Similar to the original Frankenstein's Monster, its maker can barely control the beast as it leaves a trail of victims in its wake.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Two more unsuspecting victims presented themselves Thursday night. A draft was offered and accepted. The V slowly jacked up its speed to about 26. Number one held on for a few minutes but started making strange breathing noises - then (you guessed it) KABOOM! Number one quickly dwindled in the mirrors. Number two swung around number one, came on fast, and latched onto the gravy train. The V slowly jacked it up to around 27 or 28 mph. Number two held on for much longer than number one - very impressive - but all of a sudden (deja vu) KABOOM! And the V kept smokin' down the road like a runaway locomotive. Similar to the original Frankenstein's Monster, its maker can barely control the beast as it leaves a trail of victims in its wake.
....:eek:....:eek:............. :D

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
A draft was offered and accepted. The V slowly jacked up its speed to about 26. Number one held on for a few minutes but started making strange breathing noises - then (you guessed it) KABOOM!
Joseph - That is quite some speed you can generate! Way to go!
Next plan: Mount front and rear facing cameras so you can record a mix together a nice video of it!
Drafting a V: IT is almost unfair really, because a DF can't really get a decent draft off a V. Basically if they can't ride as fast as you on their own speed they will crack!
Great job again!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hard to tell without some real data. Have read there is up to a 40% savings of drafting with a DF bike.
Might assume it would be the same, but since the V is so much more areo, there might be less.
One thing for sure - it is not easy to to get "as close as possible" to another V. You feel as if your feet are going to bonk them in the head.
Quite hard - but with lots of practice and knowing the person riding with you; this would definitely help.
I would love to do some testing in that area. Possibly Gary and I could do some on a track one day and get a rough estimate.
Anyone have any data thus far:

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Joseph - That is quite some speed you can generate! Way to go!
Next plan: Mount front and rear facing cameras so you can record a mix together a nice video of it!
Drafting a V: IT is almost unfair really, because a DF can't really get a decent draft off a V. Basically if they can't ride as fast as you on their own speed they will crack!
Great job again!
Thanks, Larry. I'm just having fun with the DF riders. Most of them have no idea how fast a V is. I think that none of them have ever heard of a V. This is an ego destroyer for a strong DF rider. Too bad most cyclists are stuck in the DF paradigm (as was I). You could call "blowing up DF riders" a form of "tough love". ;) Seriously though, in my humble opinion (after riding a DF for many years and putting up with the "ass hatchet" pain), I have come to the conclusion that this is the future of road cycling. It is really no different than all the other aspects of a bike that roadies try to optimize. Such as: aero wheels, carbon wheels, ultralight tubes, tubeless tires, using a chain drive for efficiency of power transfer, carbon frame, aero seat post, carbon seat post, aero water bottles, carbon handlebars, titanium parts, light shoes and pedals, tight clothing, lightweight aero helmet, weighing parts down to the gram, and bending over as far a possible to reduce drag. So if lean back a little and put my feet up (and maybe watch a movie?) is that cheating? (According to the UCI, it is.) Or, is it a major technological advance in the evolution of human-powered cycling? Maybe the DF dinosaurs will one day become extinct. I now have none of the medical issues common to DF riders, I'm extremely comfortable for long distances, and I go fast like the wind. I'm back to enjoying cycling instead of feeling the pain. But, I sure do like to watch them blow up in the mirrors! Bonus! :p

Thanks, Larry. I'm just having fun with the DF riders. Most of them have no idea how fast a V is. I think that none of them have ever heard of a V. This is an ego destroyer for a strong DF rider. Too bad most cyclists are stuck in the DF paradigm (as was I). You could call "blowing up DF riders" a form of "tough love". ;) Seriously though, in my humble opinion (after riding a DF for many years and putting up with the "ass hatchet" pain), I have come to the conclusion that this is the future of road cycling. It is really no different than all the other aspects of a bike that roadies try to optimize. Such as: aero wheels, carbon wheels, ultralight tubes, tubeless tires, using a chain drive for efficiency of power transfer, carbon frame, aero seat post, carbon seat post, aero water bottles, carbon handlebars, titanium parts, light shoes and pedals, tight clothing, lightweight aero helmet, weighing parts down to the gram, and bending over as far a possible to reduce drag. So if lean back a little and put my feet up (and maybe watch a movie?) is that cheating? (According to the UCI, it is.) Or, is it a major technological advance in the evolution of human-powered cycling? Maybe the DF dinosaurs will one day become extinct. I now have none of the medical issues common to DF riders, I'm extremely comfortable for long distances, and I go fast like the wind. I'm back to enjoying cycling instead of feeling the pain. But, I sure do like to watch them blow up in the mirrors! Bonus! :p
The reluctance is silly. Two of the people I rode with last week said it looked like I might fall asleep on Sigr-D because she looked so comfortable. And they come up with so many excuses that all boil down to 'it's different'. This bike is comfortable. Even more than my RWD SWB recumbents. It's like pedaling a carbon fiber hammock. I'm not looking to race. I just want to get down the road safely in a reasonable time. I went with the Vendetta because I like riding smarter. :cool:

image.jpg

Obvious which is the diamond among the DFs. At least they know they're handicapped. image.jpg

We've got cows.
image.jpg

Sigr-D Unfettered

This weekend marked another interim milestone in my training regimen in preparation for the big JDRF Tour de Tahoe ride in September. My best friend and I planned to do a local charity ride today as an interim goal.

The original plan was for us to ride 100km over Chuckanut Drive and around Lake Sammish. But the weather was spectacular and his wife decided to join us. Suddenly he was doing the 25 mile loop at a leisurely pace and then had urgent plans immediately afterward. And I was left deciding what made sense for me to ride solo and lost my ride to the event.

I've been riding the V20 for 13 days. I don't have the perfect gears for the local topography. And I need to err on the side of caution when I ride solo due to my volatile BG. I swallowed my ambition and opted for the 47 mile route with 1100' of climbing.

But a funny thing happened when I broke into the clear at mile 15. Sigr-D was free to set whatever tempo I felt was comfortable. No longer was I tied to any time constraints or restrictions of pace. Just me, SD and the road. And with the other riders out on the course, solid SAG support and well stocked rest areas, a veil lifted.

The flat farm land around the course was familiar from my ride last week. But the hills were a new addition. There were three major sections of climbing.

The first was a steady long slog with varying moderate pitch. We handled this segment well and kept just ahead of a group of similarly fit DF bikers we passed just before the climb started. That was a pleasant change from life on a RWD bent.

Hill 2 was too much. Too steep, too long and way too busy for me to wobble up. Add a retaining wall crowding the limited shoulder and I opted to walk. At least this year there wasn't someone wearing a devil costume to torment me. Knew I was probably going to have to walk this, so no big shakes.

But the third set of rollers near Bayview proved to be the real revelation. About 28 miles in as I crossed the farmland south of Edison I had another handling epiphany. Suddenly my speed rose to around 18-19 mph and I started dropping DFs.

I knew the flats ended with a nasty little right hand hill that climbed into a set of uphill rollers. And then it happened. I started passing DFs on the climbs like they were standing still. And it wasn't from conserved speed on the downhills. I was laid back and just hammering. 14-16 mph uphill and all manner of 20s in the flats and short descents. I've popped high speed descents before. Acceleration due to gravity when you're my size on a bent is common. But this was different. I let her have her lead and I got a taste of how she can gallop! I'm still gobsmacked.

We must have blown by two dozen DFS like they were traffic cones in a ten mile stretch. Please excuse me while I go drool at my new bike...

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
We must have blown by two dozen DFS like they were traffic cones in a ten mile stretch. Please excuse me while I go drool at my new bike...
I love how the Vendetta can gain momentum downhill then maintain that momentum coupled with power-mashing up the roller, roll over the hill-peak with a descent amount of speed and do it all over again. The Vendetta rocks when it comes to rollers.

Abbott I'm glad to see that you share the same amazement and enthusiasm as I and many others here on the forum do.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The reluctance is silly. Two of the people I rode with last week said it looked like I might fall asleep on Sigr-D because she looked so comfortable. And they come up with so many excuses that all boil down to 'it's different'. This bike is comfortable. Even more than my RWD SWB recumbents. It's like pedaling a carbon fiber hammock. I'm not looking to race. I just want to get down the road safely in a reasonable time. I went with the Vendetta because I like riding smarter. :cool:
I rode 53 miles today in the rain with three strong DF riders. I let her loose on one long, hilly, twisty, wet section and easily stayed away from the group. But afterwards, they still didn't get it. It wasn't excuses as in your case. It was just like the V was invisible. It didn't enter into the realm of possibility that the V might be an option to riding a DF. But that shouldn't be surprising - that has always been typical of new ideas and change. But regarding the wet roads, I was very concerned that I might slip around or go down or have my back wheel slide out. I was pleasantly surprised that I had absolutely no slippage on either wheel on the flats, the hills, or the corners (although I did feel a little squirrelly on a freshly-painted white line a couple of times). I'm running 28 mm Gatorskins at 100 psi. I'm retired from amateur racing now, but I used to race a 35- to 42-mile weekly DF race on 23 mm tires at 120 psi on a track with hills, cambers, and turns and sometimes it would rain. I remember very well having my rear tire slip around a lot (but I never went down from that). The V never had any slippage at all. So I can now check that concern off the list. I also found that the Ventisit pad was amazingly comfortable in the rain. After I got home, I took a hose to my bike since it was covered in sand from the road spray. I took off the Ventisit pad and sprayed it out with a hose also and hung it up to dry. While I don't like riding in the rain because it's a mess to clean up afterwards, I was extremely comfortable for the entire ride. Riding a V is just plain enjoyable in cold weather, in wet weather, and in nice weather. Yes, there is a price to pay - a person has to learn something new and difficult. It takes a great deal of mental and physical work to get there. I felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again on my first few rides. But the biggest obstacle seems to be that DF riders simply can't mentally picture themselves on a V. Oh well, more fun for the rest of us.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
But the biggest obstacle seems to be that DF riders simply can't mentally picture themselves on a V. Oh well, more fun for the rest of us.
I don't know why that it is. I hear them complain of butt, back, wrist, and neck pain all the time. I truly feel bad for them.

On my ride today, I had a Df'r stop me, really nice guy. Seemed like he may look into one. He said "I've never seen anything like that, it is so cool looking. It just looks done right, unlike other recumbent I've seen". So I gave him my story, and "the" story.

I've never raced, but I find the vendetta handles very well on fast quick winding roads. Better than all other recumbent's I've owned by a large margin. It makes me feel very secure and hooked up. The steering is precise and quick with no surprises. Hmm, I've had my Vendetta and Silvio for a year now, with over 10,000 miles on the two, and I sound just as stoked and enthusiastic as the new owners.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I don't know why that it is. I hear them complain of butt, back, wrist, and neck pain all the time. I truly feel bad for them.

On my ride today, I had a Df'r stop me, really nice guy. Seemed like he may look into one. He said "I've never seen anything like that, it is so cool looking. It just looks done right, unlike other recumbent I've seen". So I gave him my story, and "the" story.

I've never raced, but I find the vendetta handles very well on fast quick winding roads. Better than all other recumbent's I've owned by a large margin. It makes me feel very secure and hooked up. The steering is precise and quick with no surprises. Hmm, I've had my Vendetta and Silvio for a year now, with over 10,000 miles on the two, and I sound just as stoked and enthusiastic as the new owners.
Now that I think of it, I'm having the same experience trying to get DF riders interested in the V as I had trying to get DF riders to try out a recumbent boat. I have two recumbent boats and live in an area with a huge water system and beautiful, sandy beaches. There are a lot of cyclists around here. Wouldn't it make sense to combine biking and boating? I've offered to let quite a few of them use my spare boat and we can ride boats just like we ride bikes. And yet I've had zero takers. Riding a recumbent boat is just as fun as riding a bike, but you get to go on the river and out on the big lake (actually an inland sea). It's a whole new take on cycling. And yet, DF riders cannot get their minds around having that much fun. So I shouldn't be surprised when DF riders fail to get the message about the V.