Bag solutions for Vendetta V20?

Tuloose

Guru
I have a Bacchetta Brain Bag on my Vendetta.
I have had the bag for 6 years, notice the faded appearance, and it has held up well.
I previously had it on my Silvio 2.0 but when I switched it over to the V I had to modify it some to keep it from dragging on the wheel.

upload_2020-4-6_11-47-31.png

There is a nylon strap at the front of the bag that I hooked onto the rear of the headrest to pull the bag up.
The strap wasn't tight enough so I shortened it by folding it over and securing the fold with a pop rivet.
The strap needs to be held on securely with a zip tie.

upload_2020-4-6_11-53-53.png

Tuloose

Guru
Those are stock bars.
No idea what kind they are.
The stock seat with a Ventist pad, the stock headrest and stock bars all work out fine for me.
I did add a couple pieces of yoga mat foam to the headrest to put my head in a slightly more vertical position.

That aero bag of yours looks really rad!

M.J

Not trying to resurrect a zombie thread, but I modified my headrest this weekend to fit a Bacchetta Brainbox and it turned out pretty good.
20200829_074846.jpg 20200829_075000.jpg
I removed the stock headrest tubes and bent up a piece of 1.5" wide aluminum stock to mount the rest to. It's long enough to wedge down between the seat and the frame almost to the second clamp bolt. I also put two holes in the seat and bolted the headrest stalk through those.
To mount the bag I added cross pieces on the stalk similar to what I saw someone on this forum do. I cut a slit in the bag's mounting sleeve (where it would normally slide over a hard shell seat) for the stalk to go through and it rests on the top cross piece. The lower one is at the lower end of this sleeve. I used the circular headrest mount holes in the frame to run the support strap through for extra stability.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Here is a pic of stock seats and stock neckrest with bachetta brain bag. Use aluminium flat bar shaped and bob is your uncle. This allows the pocket to support the bachetta brain bag as designed by bachetta.

9233A7ED-BF88-481C-B727-CF7773602041.jpeg 106AB51E-552E-40F9-BA64-0B924EF14CB9.jpeg 88660DC0-F979-457B-A854-0D689D4B7ACB.jpeg

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Best thing about the bachetta bag is the rear net storage pouch. I am able to have my Garmin bike varia Radar plus cache battery on the bag. Yay.

I’ve got the radical design bag too narrow solo and whilst it’s a better quality the brain bag is a lot more versatile and much much cheaper. No brainer.

NadiainLA

Most structural CF seats, I think, can fit the Bacchetta Brain Box which just about perfect, imho. Inexpensive, large capacity, even aero somewhat and the esthetics aint bad either. This shot of my new and first V has the seat at about 23 degrees; still plenty of space at 20 degrees it appears.View attachment 9082
Question: did you modify the Brain Box to get it to fit, or it just slipped on like Cinderella's slipper? I have a Radical Design Solo Aero Narrow and it seemed like SUCH a good idea... and I am FOREVER fiddling with it, having positioned it in a useable but unsatisfying position at best.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Question: did you modify the Brain Box to get it to fit, or it just slipped on like Cinderella's slipper? I have a Radical Design Solo Aero Narrow and it seemed like SUCH a good idea... and I am FOREVER fiddling with it, having positioned it in a useable but unsatisfying position at best.

post 28 oem seat. Or slip on aftermarket seat @NadiainLA scroll up to post 28 mate. See it’s possible to fit a bachetta brain bag with the original seat using a simple aluminium flat bar. I can breathe again whew.

Last edited:

NadiainLA

I cut the mesh off mine and sewed in some Velcro tape, now it works fine.
View attachment 11814
As a newbie, I was looking at this thinking, how is that possible? I realised-- the Thor seat is a totally different animal. I have the seat it shipped with (even though I upgraded the foam). I didn't realise a Thor seat made it where you would be more upright and therefore the seat itself clears the wheel. On mine, Only the headrest clears the wheel. What made you get a Thor seat-- was it to be more upright, or (and) another reason?

What made you get a Thor seat-- was it to be more upright, or (and) another reason?
What I like about Thor’s seat is the extra support of the wider seat and the upsweep at the shoulder that helps with high power output efforts (pressing the shoulders into the seat. The reduced neck flexion is nice, too.
What I don’t like is the increased air resistance and that the wider seat rubs the thighs when Flintstoning around. Of course there’s cost as well.

Regarding use of a Brainbag or Narrow Arrow bag with the standard seat, others have created supports from things like a wooden paddle or metal frame.

Tuloose

Guru
Yesterday I mounted a new version of the Bacchetta Brain Bag on my Vendetta.
The newer one has more upsweep so no more worries about the bag dragging on the tire.
It looks a lot spiffier than my faded 7 year old brain bag.

upload_2021-8-29_12-4-56.png

This newer version has 2 pockets for mounting rather than the single pocket the old version had.
Lets call these the outer pocket and the inner pocket.
The outer pocket, the same as on the old bag, is wide and open on both the bottom and the top.
Using the outer pocket allows the bag to swing from side to side, something I wanted to prevent if possible.
The inner pocket is sewn at the top so is only open at the bottom.
This pocket is tighter and is the one I wanted to use but I needed it open at the top so I could slide the headrest through it.
I used a seam ripper to open up the stitching at the top just enough, about 4 inches, for the headrest to come through.
Alternatively you could just cut the heavy cordura fabric next to the seam.
My thumb is holding the outer pocket and the inner pocket is tightly gripping the headrest

upload_2021-8-29_12-58-44.png

To complete the installation I inserted a piece of yoga mat foam in the space between 2 pockets to provide more cushion on the headrest.
The foam was blue so I spray painted it black to match.
That stalk I have mounted to the headrest is for my Cycliq camera.

upload_2021-8-29_12-59-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-29_12-14-45.png
    upload_2021-8-29_12-14-45.png
    22.9 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TransAm

I've set my V20 up for overnight credit-card touring. I'm carrying 5lbs of camera gear plus my stuff so I opted for a rack. I've settled on the Topeak waterproof rack bag so my camera won't get wet.

Here's a recent photo of it on tour at the mouth of the Lackawaxen River in NE PA.

acb90025e624d7ecab75cb24397b7c93

And on an earlier tour on the Empire State Trail W of Albany NY:

0987b50ce17c6d5284f40fc3d5cbabfb

More detailed info here:

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/v20-rack-in-back.13973/

Mr Ben Sherratt

Made my own rack using old low pro arm rests. I use this for my rapha roll bag or Carradice Barley that sit behind my head/ shoulders out of the wind. Works really well

Attachments

• 567095D6-FB95-4AD1-8011-7DAE7D5907BF.jpeg
    567095D6-FB95-4AD1-8011-7DAE7D5907BF.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 9C1DE4F0-35E5-4308-9136-999ED758D455.jpeg
    9C1DE4F0-35E5-4308-9136-999ED758D455.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 58

M.J

I figured since I have the back wheel off for a tire change I'd post a pic of the support I made for my Brainbox.
It's 1.5" aluminum, the front part is bent up and bolted to the end of the frame (I drilled a hole between the stock headrest holes) and then the bag is bolted to that.
It rides just above the tire but never drags and holds all the weight I'd ever want to put in it without swaying or shifting.
20211121_100831.jpg

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I’m having a hard time orienting the bag and bike in my mind. The picture is upside down, right? The bar goes under the bag - between the wheel and the bag, right?