Bag solutions for Vendetta V20?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I figured since I have the back wheel off for a tire change I'd post a pic of the support I made for my Brainbox.
It's 1.5" aluminum, the front part is bent up and bolted to the end of the frame (I drilled a hole between the stock headrest holes) and then the bag is bolted to that.
It rides just above the tire but never drags and holds all the weight I'd ever want to put in it without swaying or shifting.
View attachment 12434
Great idea MJ. I bet a similar one could be connected via the Perez clamp holes as well, and bent up just behind the head rest bars.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
@Frito Bandito show us pictures when you do it. You’ll get to it before I ever do.
I don't even have 1 of those bags yet, but I will be passing a Home Center shop today near Tokyo Dome so I can drop in and see if they have a something that'll work.

Interestingly, just now I saw 2 golf shafts on a shelf that have been chopped and were leftover from a different project. The bent flatbar connected by using the Perez clamp holes is probably the easier solution, but I wonder if someone with CF skills could fashion a strong but light weight rear carrier with the golf shafts, some CF, epoxy and dowels.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
This thread is very helpful... I found a Bacchetta BrainBox on eBay for $50... now, I can see how that works out with my new adjustable headrest.
Good deal! If I recall correctly, those fit over the Thor seat without any modifications, but with the OEM seat you might have to use 1 of the mods that V20 owners use to get it to fit sturdily. It will make you faster though.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
This bag is about $30. It looks good and is high quality. It took a little thought to figure out how to adapt it for mounting without a rack. A little Velcro tape is all it took. When riding centuries outside in November, in temperatures that can range from forties to twenties F during a single ride, in the dark, after work, it’s important to have space for different gloves, wind breaker, rain jacket, spare headlights and taillights, and other stuff. I need space to stow stuff if it warms up, or put on more stuff if it gets colder or wetter. This bag gives me that. 214F12A7-7F7F-42C3-AFA7-8009ED987284.jpeg F2BC667B-F280-40CB-86F2-BD909D04ED8B.jpeg

Amazon Link:
BAIGIO Bike Trunk Bag Waterproof Bicycle Rear Rack Pannier Extendable 10-25L Cycling Carrier Rack with Lengthened Shoulder Strap & Rain Cover, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKRWN9...abc_CT16Z3Y1CK3KYR2SAT95?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

TransAm

I’m having a hard time orienting the bag and bike in my mind. The picture is upside down, right? The bar goes under the bag - between the wheel and the bag, right?
Yeah, it looks like the brake calipers are facing up.

Al_D

I am starting to mount the Bacchetta Brain Box... to test fit and see if I like it better than the Race Case
(which is cool looking, but continues provide some extraneous noises... even when empty).
The Race Case is just a bit small some of my rides... so I like having a larger option.
All the tips I got for quieting the Race Case were very helpful, but reduced the available space within.

TransAm

This bag is about $30. It looks good and is high quality. It took a little thought to figure out how to adapt it for mounting without a rack. A little Velcro tape is all it took. When riding centuries outside in November, in temperatures that can range from forties to twenties F during a single ride, in the dark, after work, it’s important to have space for different gloves, wind breaker, rain jacket, spare headlights and taillights, and other stuff. I need space to stow stuff if it warms up, or put on more stuff if it gets colder or wetter. This bag gives me that. View attachment 12436 View attachment 12437

Amazon Link:
BAIGIO Bike Trunk Bag Waterproof Bicycle Rear Rack Pannier Extendable 10-25L Cycling Carrier Rack with Lengthened Shoulder Strap & Rain Cover, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKRWN9...abc_CT16Z3Y1CK3KYR2SAT95?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Ha, that's the exact same bag I originally put on my rack:

f5993811c8d1efbfff9d104682c7e197

Does it sway much without the rack? I find that if the bag sways, the tail wags the dog, and that can cause control issues.

Tuloose

Guru
No sway at all the way I have it attached. And no rack.

Joe, it's so good to see you back on the forums.
I have missed your tales of the fast group rides and how you would outrun the field of riders trying in vain to beat you to the next stop sign.
Oh yeah, and the snobbish attitude of some of the road warriors and how the leader tried to disinvite you from joining in the rides.
Do you still participate in those events?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Joe, it's so good to see you back on the forums.
I have missed your tales of the fast group rides and how you would outrun the field of riders trying in vain to beat you to the next stop sign.
Oh yeah, and the snobbish attitude of some of the road warriors and how the leader tried to disinvite you from joining in the rides.
Do you still participate in those events?
I still participate in events hosted by friendly bike shops or events that do not discriminate against frame type. I won’t ride R&R due to discrimination. I participate in events by Loose Spokes bike shop, the Unruly Ride, ODRAM, Holland Hundred, N24HC, and others. I try not to get caught up in the pace line when group riding by staying on or off the back, on the front pulling, or off the front. Or I ride alone. Even though I’ve done a lot of racing and group training in the last twenty some years, and have a lot of experience riding in groups, I don’t trust other people who either don’t have group racing experience and/or don’t know how to ride a pace line with a recumbent.

Currently, I’m trying to expand my Vendetta season by riding as far into the winter as possible (I just rode a century today with a 20 mph wind in 39 to 45 degrees F - that was a workout and it was not fast). In the Spring of 2022, I plan to get out as early as possible, on the Vendetta, depending on the weather, if it’s over freezing.

This fall, I started riding two centuries per week when the weather cooperates. This is working really well. Riding two days a week gives me a lot of time for recovery. I’m probably going to experiment with more miles when it warms up in the spring or summer.

I also have been fasting during my centuries. I became fat adapted a few years ago as the result of a successful experiment. So now I’m dual fuel. When training, I only ingest water. But when competing, I’ll eat peanut butter, potato chips, Starbucks frappes, Clif Bars, etc.

Last winter, I started riding a fat trike outside in mud, snow, dark, wind, and sub-freezing temperatures, down near 0 degrees F. The fat trike allows me to ride outside when the conditions don’t allow riding the Vendetta. This year, the fat trike has been upgraded to tubeless tires, among other upgrades.

So, first, I made my peace with winter instead of riding in the basement. Riding outside is superior to riding inside for many reasons such as brain health and lack of boredom. Think of all the differences between riding inside and outside: traffic, stop signs and lights, temperature changes, wind, sun, clouds, dark, rain, snow, hills, balance, wild animals crossing the road (especially deer at night), road kill (with sharp broken bones that will slash your tires), stick and branches, crashing, smells, sounds, flat tires, road construction, road conditions, pot holes and cracks, sewer grates, clothing, etc. I like to think of outside training vs inside training as Rocky vs Drago. You know how that turned out.

Second, I found a way to ride on ice without any chance of going down on ice. Neither two fat tires nor steel studs can prevent you from going down on ice, but three fat tires will totally prevent it. Going down on ice can break the ball off the femur or break a leg - both require surgery and titanium. The trike prevents that risk.

That’s what I’ve been up to. I like to try new things. Sometimes, they work out and sometimes they don’t, but I always learn something.

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I know Zwift has its place, especially in Winter if it snows or during rainy season. But I am like you in that I need to be outside with the wind on my face. Sometimes that is a bad idea in the land of the rising sun where Murder Hornets originated from. 1 got stuck in a vent of my helmet, another somehow hooked a foot or two in the material of my gloves between my thumbs when I was on my TT bike, and another bounced off my maskless face at about 35kph prior to Covid-19. So that hurt. But I still gotta be outside even though I hope to do a bit of indoor stuff this Winter on the worst days.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
My opinion only (feel free to disagree):
View attachment 12506
View attachment 12507

scott of the Antarctic great movie. :)

rocky a bit crappy movie. Prefer the hurricane or raging bull for a boxing movie. ;)

zwift etc has its place but for mine it’s a definite second place. I have not tried zwift racing which I would imagine racing and camaraderie sharpens the experience.

the smells pleasant the real vista fresh air outweigh the risk of outdoor cycling traffic and the relative ho hum of indoor training.

I understand seasonal variation and yes safety concerns but I’m downunda where the annual weather is pretty darn good. Think Florida without the cyclones.

lastly vitamin d. Safe travels .

Congratulations on the fat trike Joseph getting out of the house to ride is an immeasurable uppercut to the indoor covid winter blues.

scoutie22

Has anyone tried altering a Topeak beam rack for the V20? Wondering if it might be possible to cut the tube quick release mount off one of the beam rack options, fabricate a mount similar to the one for the V20 headrest and then have a rear pannier set on the V20.

Just wanted to thank Peter Lundgren for posting his photo. In particular the bag stop bolt as mentioned by DavidCH is something I just added today. Seems my Moose Bag slipped back and rubbed my rear tire. My bag is a tiny bit different, but same problem. I did not want to apply velcro to the frame.
MooseBagwithBolt.jpg