Commute to work

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: There are some things about commuting to work by bicycle that are not attractive. You have to get up earlier than usual, you do not have the creature comforts of the car, you cannot make impromptu trips out for lunch. The weather can be spotty, there are people to contend with, both in and out of cars. Some days, it can be really, really tempting to skip riding. Some days, it can't be helped; you wake up late, there are issues that need to be dealt with and as I've said before, life just gets in the way. Most days, though, if I just get on the bike and start rolling down the street, I'm good to go. I can count on one hand, in all the years of on again, off again commuting to work by bicycle that I have actually turned around and gone back home. I would say pretty safely that most, if not all of those days have been rainy days. Living in Southern California, there are too many nice days to ride to suffer through a rainy day if you don't have to.

There are many great things about cycling to work, too. Some people will tell you they think you're crazy, but deep down, I believe most have quiet admiration for what you're doing. Whatever your cause or reasoning; be it saving gas, personal health, "going green", or any combination thereof, people respect what you're doing. I take a fair amount of ribbing about my spandex and lycra cycling attire, but that's to be expected. I'm certain that; to the layman, I look pretty rediculous. But, when they think about what I've done, pedaling 20 miles to work, they know that takes some constitution. The jokes on them, though. That hour and ten minutes is some of the greatest quiet time I get throughout my day. Couple that with the magic of the pre-dawn morning; the sights, sounds and smells as the world wakes up and you have the beginning of a great day. There is nothing more beautiful than the snowcapped mountains, illuminated by the light of the moon, the city lights in the valleys below and the first hint of daybreak. As I wheel into work, the satisfaction is incredible. I feel alive and ready to begin my day. Not so on the days I drive. It's a different mindset altogether.

I know I'm "preaching to the choir" with a few of you. You know what I'm talking about. This is great stuff and while it can be challenging to get up some mornings and get going, the fact that I have will provide me with a lifetime of memories. There will come a day when I can no longer ride, be it due to health issues, or age... Hopefully I stave that off as long as possible, but when that day comes, I'll be able to look out my window at those same pre-dawn hours and think about the days I did.

Mark

There are recumbent trikes: I hear that even old people can ride those.
Then, of course, there are industrial-type upright trikes. I used to see those parked here and there inside huge industrial complexes. Like Lockheed.
Some are available with hand-cranks.
Even carbon-fiber!
Not to mention, those fully-enclosed velomobiles.
Electric assist!
Hey, it need never end...until it ends.
Bike on, dude!
;)

-Steve

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Being only a bit over 6mi from work, commuting is definitely an attractor for me. I often take that route on weekends and it is an easy and mostly comfortable ride. Only about 2mi of the route is on a section without shoulders...but that part is still a divided 4-lane (45mph). The area is quite bicycle friendly and there are usually at least a couple bike-commuters seen on the way in (or out) daily. Tue/Thu. after-work group rides start in the parking lot of my building and the head honcho leads one of these 20mi rides at least one of those days. I rode with them a good bit 2005-7 but my ride-time has been truncated significantly this year.

Unfortunately, I have to go home every day at lunch...as I have for the past 10 yrs. No commuting until that requirement goes away.

The need to 'go out' for lunch would also going to be a real tough habit to break. I've eaten lunch at home (or out) for the past 30 yrs. We have a nice cafeteria in my building but I really enjoy 'getting away' for an hour at lunch (of course, I could go for a ride during that hour).

Trikes are a fine alternative, I started 'getting recumbent' on a Catrike Speed (I need to sell it). The big upright traditional 'delivery-boy' trikes are too heavy and unwieldly. My wife bought a Sun EZ-3 trike a few years ago and although perfect for her, it is a nightmare to ride above walking speed.

As much as I enjoy the Catrike, two-wheels are faster than three. At equivalent energy output levels, I average 13-14mph on the Catrike and 17-18mph on the Baron. Tire wear is a niggling problem on the Catrike, front tires last about 8 months...the tires on the Baron have been on for over 3 yrs (roughly 3k mi).

C minus 4 days. I'm counting!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
trapdoor2 wrote: The need to 'go out' for lunch would also going to be a real tough habit to break. I've eaten lunch at home (or out) for the past 30 yrs. We have a nice cafeteria in my building but I really enjoy 'getting away' for an hour at lunch (of course, I could go for a ride during that hour).

That one was tough for me, as well. There is a little market with a grill just a few miles from work that make the best burritos... Problem is, I was also downing a pretty good portion of delicious french fries with them. So... I had to cut that business out.

My work has a nice breakroom with a big screen TV. I can enjoy my lunch and catch up on what's going on in the world, or just watch mindless stuff (been into unsolved mysteries lately, thought I saw Yakmurph on there, today! :lol: ) But, because I drive in very few days, that means I have to plan far enough in advance to bring in the week's groceries and clothes. I seem to have the routine down pretty pat, though.

Mark

trapdoor2 wrote:
Trikes are a fine alternative, I started 'getting recumbent' on a Catrike Speed (I need to sell it). The big upright traditional 'delivery-boy' trikes are too heavy and unwieldly. My wife bought a Sun EZ-3 trike a few years ago and although perfect for her, it is a nightmare to ride above walking speed.

As much as I enjoy the Catrike, two-wheels are faster than three. At equivalent energy output levels, I average 13-14mph on the Catrike and 17-18mph on the Baron. Tire wear is a niggling problem on the Catrike, front tires last about 8 months...the tires on the Baron have been on for over 3 yrs (roughly 3k mi).

C minus 4 days. I'm counting!

This trike seems to be very fast it has levers in stead of a crank? http://www.shererusa.com/

Peder

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, that lever trike never went anywhere. Evidently energy = energy and no matter how much leverage you have, you still can't do perpetual motion. :) The lever trike allows one to use both legs at the same time, thus potientially absorbing more power in a single stroke. However, rotary gearing is simply a "round lever" and although the input mode is somewhat different, it accomplishes the same thing. It still has three wheels in contact and will always be slower than a bicycle; watt for watt.

WhiteSilvio

Peder Torgersen wrote:
This trike seems to be very fast it has levers instead of a crank? http://www.shererusa.com/
Peder

I like that. :lol: I like that heaps!!!
That's what I had in mind in one of my posts when the discussion was about Q-rings and I proposed an alternative drive.

WhiteSilvio wrote: I have some ideas for making use of the most useful part of the power stroke, by going from a rotary system drivetrain to some sort of oscillating system. I'm sure someone will have made one somewhere. This has the potential to deliver 3 or 4 "power pulses" per equivalent revolution and greatly reduce the "dead spots"
Re: Qrings
Postby WhiteSilvio on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 pm

One is able to get the equivalent of 3, 4, 5 or 6 "power strokes" per revolution of the drive layshaft with the "front chain-wheel(s)" on it. There are far fewer "dead spots" with this arrangement. Others have done similar things, but this chap seems to have "nailed it".

What do you think about that drive for the Silvio, John T.?? :cool:

John R.

WhiteSilvio

Okay.
Some further though down the track, as they say, and I reach an initial conclusion that the oscillating drive may not be suited to MBB design recumbent, however, I still reckon it would be good for rear wheel drive recumbents.

It has quite a few pluses, more power strokes, could well cut out heel strike that occurs with RWD recumbents and could be better for starting off uphill. Well just a few ideas.

John.

We have had good winter weather the last week it has been -5°C in the morning no wind and clear blue sky in the day. Good riding conditions for my Sofrider to and from work. The suspension works very well on ice and snow I now have a very comfortable ride even from the bumps from some ice on the road. The traction is good in cold weather I’m able to climb the hills to and from work. When it’s mild and I have to ride in thick layer of wet snow it has been some problems getting up a couple of hills. As soon as I ‘m over the top I can continue riding. So far it has happened 2 days I have had to walk 2 hills. I have also practiced starting on a hill it works in cold weather under 0°C but just over 0°C and a thick layer of wet snow is too difficult it’s extremely slippery.
This is my second winter riding a Sofrider. When I first got it I thought of getting an electric assist on the back wheel for better traction in winter. As long as it functions as well as it does for me I see no reason yet for having an assist. If someone has steep hills and wants to use it in winter an assist on the back wheel is an option.
If there are deep tracks from a car and it freezes you have to be careful. There are 2 options ride in a steady line in the track or try to stay out of tracks if possible. I’m able to ride in a straight line in a tire track but the speed is slow and I wear boots so I can easily put my feet down if I lose control.
Yesterday my gear wire froze I have to leave the Sofrider outdoor at work and we have much changing weather this time of year rain, snow over and under 0°C so wires can freeze. I have a Sofrider V1 it was in 2 gear I can climb all hills in that gear but the speed on the flats is not so good.
Those of you that live in a climate that don’t have temperatures that drop under 0°C you miss out a lot of interesting riding. When I wake up in the morning I know the ride can be different from yesterday because of the changing weather and road conditions.

Peder

JeffParker

San Francisco commute recorded w/iPhone 3G "Trailguru" app

I've been commuting every day on my Sofrider V1 since September. Trailguru application for Apple iPhone 3G lets me record my commutes using the phone's GPS. It's a great way to monitor your ride time, speed, distance, and elevation. Its a free application from the iTunes store. Check out a few of my trailguru "tracks" and the kind of data that it records.

http://www.trailguru.com/ui/user/tracks/Sfcruzbiker

In the city my commute in SF takes much less time (10-15 minutes) by Cruzbike than by car, because I don't need to find parking and can take a route without much traffic. There are some crazy mountains where the downhill to work gets pretty fast :eek: , but I don't get so sweaty that I need a shower after I get to work. The ride back up is a little slower, but still faster than by car, and I get a good workout.

The Trailguru application must be running in the foreground in order to record tracks. Use the trailguru lock button before putting the phone in your pocket or pack.

Enjoy your Cruzbike commute!!!
Jeff

Re: San Francisco commute recorded w/iPhone 3G "Trailguru" app

JeffParker wrote: I've been commuting every day on my Sofrider V1 since September. Trailguru application for Apple iPhone 3G lets me record my commutes using the phone's GPS. It's a great way to monitor your ride time, speed, distance, and elevation. Its a free application from the iTunes store. Check out a few of my trailguru "tracks" and the kind of data that it records.

http://www.trailguru.com/ui/user/tracks/Sfcruzbiker

In the city my commute in SF takes much less time (10-15 minutes) by Cruzbike than by car, because I don't need to find parking and can take a route without much traffic.

Enjoy your Cruzbike commute!!!
Jeff

Using your Sofrider you don’t have the same trouble this lady has parking her car!
http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/12/kultur/endelig_fredag/moro/4017550/

I also enjoy my commute to work with my Sofrider no parking problems. :lol:

Peder

This morning was the coldest so far this winter -13°C no wind. We also got a little snow that came on Sunday morning. When I went for a walk yesterday it was very slippery in some areas I didn’t notice any slippery conditions on my ride this morning. So the winter tires functioned well. It’s not every winter it gets so cold here by the coast it will not last for long before we get just under 0°C. I had to put on an extra sweater and extra long underwear to keep warm. I also take the cushions on the Sofrider inside when I am at work but the temperature should rise on my ride home. My ride home is mostly uphill so I get much warmer on my ride home.

Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
That's dedication, right there. -13C? Brrrrrrrr! My boogers just froze thinking about it!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Today was my first commute to work this year. Time constraints, the holidays, some really bitter cold (keep quiet, Peder, I'm content with my level of "bitter cold") have kept me off the bike. It's not that I don't like riding my bike to work, but I suspect it's a lot like methadone. It's pretty good, just not the same as the real thing. ;)

I always push my limits when it comes to getting out the door. I mess on the computer too long, then I have to take care of my morning business. I always underguesstimate how long it takes to don the arm warmers, leg warmers, etc. By the time I got out the door, I was about 10-12 minutes behind where I like to be. That's cool, I always allow plenty of time so I can shower/shave at work... No worries, I'll be fine.

It was a little cool as I left the house. I almost wished I had on an underlayer, but noted that when I started climbing, I would be too warm. I was fine, really. I motored across the Santa Ana river wash and was happy with the world. The bike was rolling nicely and I felt good.. I needed to ride off several of Jamie's Full Sail beers I drank over the weekend (yummy, BTW), so life was good!

I got into Highland and headed west. This is a fun street to ride and usually has light traffic. I can hold a 23-24 mph pace pretty easily through here without pushing real hard. There's one section I have to slow down for because it's extra rough pavement, but it's only a couple blocks, then it's hammer down again. I was rolling along, still enjoying life, when I felt a very noticable temperature change. I bet the temperature increased 10-15 degrees, which is a huge "uh-oh!"...... Wind.... BIg wind..... When I hit it, I realized I was in trouble, because where I work is usually waaaaay worse than what I'll get in San Bernardino. It was too late to even consider turning back, so I reminded myself that riding in wind is like climbing hills; it just makes you stronger. Besides, at least it was a warm wind!

The east-west streets were a challenge keeping the bike on a straight line through the gusts. It was mostly a steady wind, so I could lean into it for the most part. The north south streets were all about gearing down and keeping the pedals churning. I got over the freeway viaduct and was heading just fine toward my next north south street when I started feeling my rear tire going soft. I stopped to check and as I reached around, I put my thumb right on the goat head protruding from my tire. Damn. Windy, dark and now, a flat to fix.

Fortunately for me, I had pretty good street lights to work by, so I didn't have to burn my headlight for illumination. One thing about Cruzbikes I've learned is; they are great to turn upside down, rest them on the brake hoods and seat back. Then, all your tools, spare tubes and such can sit on the bottom of the seat pan while you work on the bike. They can't go anywhere and everything is very handy to get at. Of course, because I'm on my way to work, the pressure is on to get the bike rolling quickly and I did a fair job of it.

Once back on the road, I tried to pick up the pace to make up time, but it was a lost cause. I headed across the wash going from San Berdoo into Rialto, which is a pretty short, but fair climb. Here, the winds are merciless and while climbing and fighting the cross winds, I had a real hard time going straight. Good thing there wasn't much traffic. I got to my check point and found I was about 23 minutes behind where I like to be. Not too bad, but I would have to rush once I got to work.

Expecting the worst as I neared my workplace, I was pleasantly surprised to find the wind was less intensive than normal. I actually began getting a little better pace going, though still way below normal. I got to work and still had time for a shower, just no shave. So, I'm a little scruffy, but I was to work on time and I smell good!

Mark

The cold weather only lasted for a day! The rest of last week we had good temperatures one day we had +9°C so the snow and ice melted! Today we have -3°C ice on the road good riding condition. Temperatures change often here that’s normal. What I really wanted to write about is my ride home yesterday. The sun was shining no wind when I stopped at my postbox a lady came over and asked me about my Sofrider. She was going for a walk and said she had often seen me pass her and was interested to learn more about it. One question was you can stand when you pedal. I tried to answer all her questions and she sat on the seat but didn’t ride it. She said it was very comfortable and it looked very practical! She also used her bike all year around when she needed to get a new bike she would consider a Sofrider. This is the third time I have been stopped on my ride home from work.
The other 2 were men as far as I know none of them have bought one yet maybe since this was a lady she will when she needs a new bike?
I really enjoy when people take interest I do get many comments when I ride slowly where there are many people gathered. When people see a good product over time they get interested.

If John T had the money to send commercials regularly on TV I think we would see more Sofriders on the road? ;) :) :D

Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
It's kind of funny; yesterday, without thinking about why, I compared cycle commuting to work with methadone. I thought about it some more on my ride home and I guess you could say that cycling is my drug of choice. I prefer the weekend rides with friends, no time schedule and breakfast along the way somewhere. But, when I can't get my fix (during the week), commuting to work is my methadone. It's not the same, but it gets the job done. Sometimes better than others.

Yesterday's ride home was kind of edgy. I got honked at a few times, though most were followed by a thumbs up. Regardless if they're friendlies, or not, they still spook me when they honk. I came across two accidents and it seemed like there were lots of shady people about. I was feeling good when I got back close to home, so I stretched it out another couple miles. If I go up and around my house, it's downhill coming back. That makes a nice little cool-down.

This morning, I got up and was on the road in good time. Today was a day when the methadone was working! I was a little cool at the start, but warmed up nicely. A little wind, but not as bad as yesterdy. No flats and I got to work in plenty of time for a proper shower, shave and breakfast before assuming my duties.

Mark

Saturday I got exercise shuffling snow. Sunday I went cross country skiing a very nice weather and a nice trip. Today when I was going to ride to work I tried the brakes it was just a few meters from home there was no front brake the handle went all the way without any effect. The cable had stretched I adjusted the brake and it worked again. There are many hills and there is snow and ice and on the road and also traffic so it’s good to be able to stop when I have to. So the ride this morning went fine.

Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Windy Ride

I rode my bike to work yesterday. I kind of knew I was in trouble when I left the house. I dropped into the Santa Ana River wash, heading north into Hghland and noticed a bit of a breeze. Ordinarily, a breeze wouldn't bother me, but where I work is in Rialto, in what is commonly referred to as the wind tunnel. I know I've mentioned this before, but when the Santa Anas get to blowing, it will be worst at the foothills to the mountains, right where we are. So, I can't say I was terribly surprised at the gale force winds as I neared work.

I hadn't actually planned to commute this week, family obligations got in the way for the most-part. Yesterday, however, I got a break in the action. I don't normally carry clothes and stuff on the bike, instead preferring to drop off and pick up on the days I drive, typically Monday and Friday. For this occasion, I decided to carry my change of clothes in a messenger bag and it worked pretty well. I got blown about pretty good as I neared work, but as I said, that came as no major shock.

Coming home was another story. There is one particular place where I drop out of Rialto on Baseline avenue and go across another wash into San Bernaghetto. This is the place I was talking about how scary a front fairing would be and this ride left me even more convinced. I'm going west to east and the wind always blows north to south. The dropoff from Rialto is fairly steep and I can easily hit 30 mph. I got into trouble as I dropped down into the wash. Just as soon as I cleared all wind breaks, the messenger bag, which was haning on my left side, caught the wind full on. Good Lord! My sphincter went into a reflexive puckering mode and I thought for sure I would either run off the road, swerve into traffic, or just blow over. At one point, I just stopped in an attempt to regain my composure. Tempted to walk across the wash, I finally decided just to take it easy and go. I switched the bag over to the downwind side, which was uncomfortable on one hand, but made all the difference in the world in regard to the wind. I started off and the gusts were doable with the bag on the other side, so I got back up to speed immediately. Now I'm wondering how a tailbox would work on this bike. A hardshell might not catch the wind as bad as a bag or pannier. Keep in mind, though, these winds aren't as bad as most of you will encounter. I believe this to be pretty extreme.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. North to south runs were fun and incredibly fast, while west to east streets were gusty. As I neared home, the wind died down and became a non-factor altogether. The highlight, for me, was my return across the Santa Ana wash. I was nearing the climb back into Redlands and caught sight of a roadie in my mirror, working hard to catch me. I dropped him on the climb and never saw him again.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: ...I was nearing the climb back into Redlands and caught sight of a roadie in my mirror, working hard to catch me. I dropped him on the climb and never saw him again.
Now, now Mark. You should know from BROL that you must caveat that statement with, "by 'roadie' I mean a geezer on a comfort bike, towing a trailer." We all know that these Silvio things don't really climb at all. :x If he had been a Cat 1 rider on a Bacchetta, you would have been toast. :twisted: