Cruzbike S40 in Nairobi, Kenya!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
May be I should have started a new thread on fitting but anyway here goes a long post:
Another Update on my S40:

So, I changed the crankset and chainring as earlier shared and then got slightly bigger shoes.

First the Crankset:
The 170mm cranks with a 48T chainring works well with the stock 11-42 cassette for grades upto short sections of about 10% . Offcourse this is not for a loaded cycling. I found that it feels good becuase I was well adapted to 170mm cranks on my homemade bicycle. I really like it. I also got a Sunrace 11 speed Cassette (CSMX8 11-46) to try for steeper climbs and it fits beautifully!

Sunrace-Cassette.jpg

The Shoes, cleats, Hotfoot, Recumbutt, fit issues and performance

First, a little disclaimer this issues were there even before the S40. I had battled them on my homemade for a while. Thankfully, the beautiful S40 is very adjustable!

I personally think that one challenging aspect of recumbent bicycles is gettting a good reference for optimal fit. Upright bicycles have a well understood fitting procedure. The cruzbikes/MBB front triangle is similar to an upright bicycle. However gettting the equivalent of the optimal "seat height" is not as straight forward due to the shape of the seat and the nature of the seatpad. The pad compresses under pedalling loads and eventually "sets" and changes the actual seat to crank distance. For this reason , I believe a thick and squishy seatpad like the stock one is actually not good IMHO. I replaced the inner form with a yoga mat form. Thickness is only about 20mm yet still very comfortable. S40-upright-Comparison.jpg

The S40 is significanlty lighter than my homemade one and only about 1.3Kgs heavier than my roadbike. Yet I could not match my road bike on climbs with 2.5% - 10% grades (higher grades just favours the roadbike) that I have repeatedly measured. Looking at the picture above, I still I could not see why I could not match my roadbike on moderate climbs. By this point I was now fully convinced it's something wrong with my fit.

Fit Solution
So I got bigger shoes and combined with the 170mm cranks came fitting issues . I also started experiencing mild recumbutt on my right leg. This was not there the first few weeks after I got the S40 (but was accassionally there on my homemade bike). I was therfore convinced that definitley something was wrong with my fit.

I had to do some research. I believe I discovered two or three things:

1. The recumbutt is not necessarly always a result of the seat angle especially if it tends to occur on one side. I'am now convinced, the body shifts the weight to the dominant leg on one side while trying to compensate for the discomfort due to either over reaching/over extension of the legs or improper cleat positions. I'am fairly flexible and I think I did not realise that the BB was too far. I was over extending my legs and overreaching my handlebars.

2. My hotfoot solution required that
a.) the shoes to be spacious
b.) the cleats to move back behind the ball of my foot. I found a bike fitter on youtube who recommended that the best place is about 10 to 15mm behind the ball of the foot. This stabilises the foot, reduces the load on the calf muscles and reduces the likelihood of numbness.
c.) Consequently due to (b) above, my effective leg length became shorter and I had to also adjust the boom to bring the bottom bracket closer. I did it in steps of 5mm. (I love the way the S40 boom is marked out! )​

3. Relaxed and well supported upper body: I modified by neckrest using a PVC pipe to resemble the Cruzbike suspension headrest in order to improve the support to my neck and relax my upper body.
Neck-rest.jpg

I have strava segments that I have recorded using my roadbike and then my recumbents. Several times over a few months. In the past, try as I may, I could not match the roadbike. I just couldn't understand why. The segment in question is 1.5Km long at an average of 3.6% max at about 8.9% or 9% . There is a 400m section that I was always aboout 12 to 20 secs slower than my road bike. After the above changes my best S40 effort was now within only 4seconds of my average DF climbing time. I will repeat again for a couple of weeks to be sure.

Things are looking up! I have a good feeling about this. I hope this helps other S40 owners out there.

More next time.

Koros.

Ref:
Midfoot Cleat reference Videos:

Last edited:

Don1

Guru
Hmmm .. can ya stick it in a teainer abd get some dynamic video. See what's really going on. Good progress though

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm .. can ya stick it in a teainer abd get some dynamic video. See what's really going on. Good progress though

I don't have a trainer at the moment. May be later if I find a friend willing to loan me one . For now, it's repeated road tests and strava segments.

billyk

Guru
Looking at the picture above

I looked at that picture for an embarrassingly long time before I realized it was an overlay ...

Ok, I was looking on my phone.

I thought "cool! Andrew is riding one handed while holding a light weight road bike behind him, while someone took a photo." Figured it took a bunch of takes to get that right.

It's good for the humility to be (occasionally) dumb in public.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I looked at that picture for an embarrassingly long time before I realized it was an overlay ...

Ok, I was looking on my phone.

I thought "cool! Andrew is riding one handed while holding a light weight road bike behind him, while someone took a photo." Figured it took a bunch of takes to get that right.

It's good for the humility to be (occasionally) dumb in public.

Thanks Billy. Not sure exactly I understand what you mean by the overlay.

It's just a photo of me and the S40 before my turn to rollout at the startline.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
@ak-tux Why not get rid of the clunky pedals? Recumbent riders create a lot of turbulent air. Guess it might be difficult to get your hands on descent cheap gear. I haven't tried them yet but the Chinese speedplay lollipop pedals are incredible with only 69g each pedal and it lies flat on your shoe. You can even put them further back too which will help max out the power.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
@ak-tux Why not get rid of the clunky pedals? Recumbent riders create a lot of turbulent air. Guess it might be difficult to get your hands on descent cheap gear. I haven't tried them yet but the Chinese speedplay lollipop pedals are incredible with only 69g each pedal and it lies flat on your shoe. You can even put them further back too which will help max out the power.

Thanks. Yes, I had watched that video.
I will consider those one of these days.

I actually have an old pair of Welgo road pedals that appear like look pedals. But due to some hotfoot issues I chose a wider bigger shoe which happened to be spd.

JerseyJim

This discussion about fit is really interesting to me because I've also been thinking about the lack of information concerning recumbent bike fit. What I've been thinking of doing is contacting the teams/schools that do Battle Mountain and seeing if I can find someone willing to do an interview about recumbent bike fit, especially from a performance/racing standpoint. I imagine anyone contesting the HPV speed record will have some ideas about rider position and efficiency. If anyone out there has a contact, please let me know.

When comparing segment speeds on upright versus recumbent with the same rider, one would think that there should be parity between the results but there are more variables. Recumbent position is one variable - I have no doubt that makes a difference - but perhaps the conditioning and contribution of different muscle groups when riding an upright versus a recumbent is a greater factor. There are anecdotal accounts of upright riders switching to recumbent and initially reporting that they are slower. In fact some abandon recumbents for this reason. It takes time to condition muscles to perform in the recumbent position. Not only are slightly different muscles engaged but the neuromuscular paths have to be built for proper triggering of those muscles.

For a rider acclimated to the recumbent position, I agree that they should be able to easily match their upright performance. If you're able to generate the same sustained power in the recumbent position as you do in the upright position, then recumbent aerodynamic advantages should take care of the rest. This should result in a speed differential in favor of the recumbent on a flat course.

Other variables that might affect the difference are tire choice and tire pressure, drivetrain efficiency, and gear ratio choices.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Thanks @JerseyJim .

There was once a cruzbike fit thread by @ratz some time back with some formulas here:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/v20-finding-that-fit.11520/

It's quite theoritical but makes for a good starting point or discussion.

For me, personally, the key is to get the quads fully engaged for maximum power output while at the same time minimizing the feet numbness and recumbent butt issues.

Key points to consider:
1. Optimum cleat position (15 - 20mm behind ball of the foot or in extreme cases midfoot cleats)
2. Optimum leg extension for full quadraceps engagement
3. Optimum hand extension for good bike control and upper body input
4. A means to compare power output against a known reference point (strava segment or power meter)

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Everyone on a Cruzbike seems to want different crank lengths and different handlebars and this complicates it more. I just kept adjusting it until it seemed right.
Agreed. Same here.

But what we are saying is: what are the good starting points before those final fine adjustments can be made?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Another group ride. Should hopefully be a nice one to watch especially to see group riding dynamics.

This time I made some tactical mistakes in the group ride and got dropped. Adrenaline can indeed cheat one into thinking they are invincible!

IMG-20211023-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
That group is pretty quick. You need to make your cruzbike a little more aero. I guess you could put a 650b wheel on the back and drop your bars a little so that your top of your thighs almost touch your handlebars

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
That group is pretty quick. You need to make your cruzbike a little more aero. I guess you could put a 650b wheel on the back and drop your bars a little so that your top of your thighs almost touch your handlebars

Thanks. It's food for thought.

Probabaly will be a bit faster on the downhill but I wonder what will happen on the climbs and handling on the busy traffic parts of the roads. The bike still needs to be all round capable.

I think I also need to improve my fitness, I have ridden the same segments shown in this last video, faster in the past with my DIY recumbent. I should not have attacked too early though. Lessons learnt.

Last edited:

JerseyJim

We can always use more fitness. I think my fitness peaked in spring 2020 when I was doing a ton of indoor structured training and strength training during lockdown. When I got out on the road all the little things I thought I might do to my bike for extra speed I realized I just didn't need to do. I was going much faster on the same setup. Fitness will always be the cheapest upgrade.