Cruzbike S40 in Nairobi, Kenya!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
We can always use more fitness. I think my fitness peaked in spring 2020 when I was doing a ton of indoor structured training and strength training during lockdown. When I got out on the road all the little things I thought I might do to my bike for extra speed I realized I just didn't need to do. I was going much faster on the same setup. Fitness will always be the cheapest upgrade.
Very true.

I was at my peak in the year 2019 and partly towards the end of 2020 then things dropped. Worst point was when I got my first COVID-19 vaccine this year . Was a tough time. I may have probably picked up the virus earlier but never got to test for it.

I believe this bike is very capable as is. As long as the fit is perfectly dialed in. Fit and fitness is the main thing. It may not be as aero as the V20 but again probably I may or may not want to ride an extremely reclined bike like a V20 in chaotic Nairobi traffic. Maybe in the outskirts and suburbs, but before I get there the traffic is usually inevitable.

JerseyJim

I may or may not want to ride an extremely reclined bike like a V20 in chaotic Nairobi traffic.
I hear you on that. The s40 is a good all-rounder. It's aero enough to eat up the miles at a decent clip while retaining good visibility and control for the rider. The T50's upright riding position is one of the things I like about the T50 when riding in traffic. However, I'm very curious about how fast I might be on a V20. Speed is so seductive. :)

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
The V20's speed is completely addictive. I have owned a V20, S30, and S40, and have never found the V to be that much more to handle in traffic. And once I do make it to the less travelled roads, the thing just wants to romp! And since your head is closer to the ground than the more upright models, the sensation of speed is higher. I still have the V20 and S30, but I ride the V the most, by a lot.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The V20's speed is completely addictive. I have owned a V20, S30, and S40, and have never found the V to be that much more to handle in traffic. And once I do make it to the less travelled roads, the thing just wants to romp! And since your head is closer to the ground than the more upright models, the sensation of speed is higher. I still have the V20 and S30, but I ride the V the most, by a lot.

Thanks Craig. I guess, I can't argue with your real-life experience. :)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Sometimes my cycling groupmates don't like drafting me especially on windy conditions.

I just didn't realise how much smaller my frontal area is. Now I understand why:

upload_2021-11-30_10-24-47.png

Probably I should trim 2 inches off my handlebar drops and cover my rear triangle for some marginal gains too. Now, if only I could produce the same power as I think I do on an upright bicycle!

If this is how small an S40 appears then V20 practically gives no draft!

While the opposite is true, I get a perfect draft but my view ahead is partially obstructed.
upload_2021-11-30_11-4-28.png

Last edited:

Don1

Guru
Yeah everyone I ride with complains about no draft, I group ride sometimes with my brakes on,lol(no) .... Now it's interesting you talk about power... I have 40w extra on my ftp since the v20 compared to my road bike from 2016 ... and I have another 14 weeks of hard hill training ahead of me. Aero gains? Lol you definitely one of the tribe now!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Yeah everyone I ride with complains about no draft, I group ride sometimes with my brakes on,lol(no) .... Now it's interesting you talk about power... I have 40w extra on my ftp since the v20 compared to my road bike from 2016 ... and I have another 14 weeks of hard hill training ahead of me. Aero gains? Lol you definitely one of the tribe now!

.. about the power. Mine is a subjective judgment really, especially on the climbs. I have no power metre to trully compare, so probably Iam actually producing similar power values but my S40 is 3Kgs, maybe 3.5Kgs more than my old Aluminium upright roadbike.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
IMG-20221127-WA0013.jpgIMG-20221201-WA0010.jpgIMG-20221127-WA0002.jpg

Our end of year charity tour.

465 Km round trip in 4 days.
4298m total elevation gain.

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Great pics!!
Thanks!

Incase anyone is interested in a rim brake option for a 2019-S40 front fork, that is a Tektro R539 caliper brake. I think they are Long Drop Brake Calipers 57mm (The rim brake pads can be adjusted between 47 and 59mm , I think. I will need to confirm.) They work well.

My original diskbrake wheel freehub started siezing after 12,000+ KM. I had a spare 700c rim brake wheelset which I borrowed from my DF upright roadbike for this trip.

Here is one last one picture:
Karatina-Nyeri-MnH-2022.jpg

Last edited: