Cruzbike S40 in Nairobi, Kenya!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Thanks!

Incase anyone is interested in a rim brake option for a 2019-S40 front fork, that is a Tektro R539 caliper brake. I think they are Long Drop Brake Calipers 57mm (The rim brake pads can be adjusted between 47 and 59mm , I think. I will need to confirm.) They work well.

My original diskbrake wheel freehub started siezing after 12,000+ KM. I had a spare 700c rim brake wheelset which I borrowed from my DF upright roadbike for this trip.

Here is one last one picture:
View attachment 14222
That helmet makes you look fast even when you are standing at the beginning! You make the s40 look good, or maybe the other way around, anyway you look at it the pictures are great.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
That helmet makes you look fast even when you are standing at the beginning! You make the s40 look good, or maybe the other way around, anyway you look at it the pictures are great.
Thanks!
The S40 is quite a capable bike once you dial-in the fit. It can climb well (especially short punchy grades) once you train on and fully adapt to it. It takes time and patience.

The upright aka DF bikes are still faster uphill particularly on long arduous grades. To be fair, however, the S40 is approximately 3 to 4Kgs heavier on average. I think a good climbing bike should not exceed 15% of the rider's body weight(My own theory ;)). This is especially true for lightweight riders, because the power/weight ratio is significantly reduced. A 8Kg road bike versus a 12.5Kg S40 for a 68Kg rider is siginificant when the climb extends beyond a few tens of meters.

With a good component choice and a minimalistic setup probably the S40 can come down by a couple of Kgs. But I appreciatre the fact that the S40 is designed to handle loaded touring. So it 's pretty good all-round performance considering this fact.

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
This past weekend, I had a fun 4-day charity group tour between Kenya and Tanzania on my S40! Total about 521Km (324 miles)

Here is a short clip.

20231124_082536.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyJim

Looking good on the S40! That's some ride. It would be great to get a full ride report.

I like the solutions you've come up with for storage on the bike!

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Looking Good! And what a fine looking bike!!! So.....glad the boom worked out! I feel like I rode along with you on your ride! I've been to Kenya and now by proxy, to Tanzania too! :)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Looking Good! And what a fine looking bike!!! So.....glad the boom worked out! I feel like I rode along with you on your ride! I've been to Kenya and now by proxy, to Tanzania too! :)
Iam grateful Jim! The cruzbike always captures attention everywhere I go!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
My S40 has become search a pleasure to ride. On the first day I covered about 160Km at 30.9 Km/h and I was not even tired! I felt like the bike was just gliding through the air, smooth as butter!

Most of my friends had saddle sores at the end of the trip while all I had was minor glute fatigue.
Perfect way to convert them to the "dark" side hahaha