Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I got my participation trophy today, yay!
Matthew,
You got one with "Champ" on it? I wonder if you got the wrong one?
The overall winner was supposed to get a special one, but I never saw what the difference was.
Peter - What did you get?
Unfortunately mine is lost in the mail. It has apparently been traveling around the country in the USPS system for several weeks now! haha

M.J

It's January 3rd and we got 2" of snow last night, so if course I'm on Strava designing my TT segment for this year's Cruzbike Challenge :D

nobrakes

Mine arrived today so deliveries making it across the pond!

thanks again for organising this Larry / Cruzbike

nobrakes

In commemoration I am also currently installing a set of woodchipper bars with SRAM brifters on the m5. No doubt less aero than the ultra small m5 bars but I miss the open feeling of the v20. BB is too high for O/C bars which is a shame as I had a set spare, so I’ll see how these work out. Currently all roads are ice rinks so playing about in the garage only. Feels good though.

No medallion here yet.

As for "taking it easy" I tend to follow a training manual by the late Pete Read, which has base mileage from the start of Oct through to end DEc at strictly controlled heart rates. It then starts progressively loading with intervals. I've done it slightly differently in lock down this year, using a fairly flat course on BigRingVR for the steady stuff, and a course that is 10km flat-10km uphill-flat again instead of intervals. I've seen good results with an increased in power at the same HR. You really do have to focus on the discipline of it though. It's a very similar approach to the MAF methodology if you've looked into that

Bill Wightman

As for "taking it easy" I tend to follow a training manual by the late Pete Read
I am not good with following anybody's rule book. I have been riding weekend groups at 22 - 24 mph for the first 65 miles then bust loose on the last ten miles by myself at 25-29 mph between those darn stop lights. Went through a stop light (still yellow) at 32 mph Saturday. A little scary. On Tuesdays do a 30-mile fast night ride with crazy old DF racers at speeds between 24 and 33 mph. Really flat around here which is a big V20 advantage. It takes all of my go-fast magic to keep up with these riders. That is my weekly "training manual". Strava did not upload Saturday, not sure why it does that sometimes.

Last edited:
I am not good with following anybody's rule book. I have been riding weekend groups at 22 - 24 mph for the first 65 miles then bust loose on the last ten miles by myself at 25-29 mph between those darn stop lights. Went through a stop light (still yellow) at 32 mph Saturday. A little scary. On Tuesdays do a 30-mile fast night ride with crazy old DF racers at speeds between 24 and 33 mph. Really flat around here which is a big V20 advantage. It takes all of my go-fast magic to keep up with these riders. That is my weekly "training manual". Strava did not upload Saturday, not sure why it does that sometimes.

Not telling you what you SHOULD do, just saying what I do. Taking a block of low HR base stuff for three months or so is what gave a whole load of running, rowing and cycling PBs. Running at 10k, HM, 65km ( that one was by an hour!). It's not about doing ALL training at low HR ALL the time, but using periodicity of approach.

Bill Wightman

It's not about doing ALL training at low HR ALL the time, but using periodicity of approach.
I think it is great having a structured approach that shows results. I envy anyone who can do running also, that usually means you have a healthy weight.
On a different note I swapped in my medium chainstay from the large and removed my "aero" wheel guard and the bike is like a little sports car with a better acceleration and the top end does not seem to have decreased. I also swapped back to my 90 mm HED Jet from a full RENN disc on the front because the HED wheel was getting a little lonely doing nothing and I was getting blown beyond a safe limit at high speed Saturday with gusts over 25 mph from the aft quarter. I can feel the slight increase in drag from the spokes but it is safer.