extremely steep hill climb

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Rough pavement is tough on climbs. Smooth cadence is key . . . but that's easy to say sitting here in my living room. A lot harder when you're sitting on the bike, grinding up a big climb.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
25mm at 90psi front and rear. Standard front rings 46/34. 11-32 cassette. 155mm cranks. Started with 23s at 110psi when I switched from DF . . . that was a big mistake, My bones are still recovering!

I am running 25,s front and rear 95 psi front and 85 rear. I have a 36 QXL inner chainring with an 11- 34 cassette. Above a 10% gradient is tough for me.

Front is 52/39/30, rear 12-32. 28mm conti gp 4 seasons front and rear running around 100psi both.

On an audax, lightly loaded is very different to touring, even with just 15 kg of luggage.

The climb I failed on was reasonably good tarmac, but I was down to minimum speed for staying upright until I just hit a bump that threw me off my line and rhythm and towards the verge and that was it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
ElyDave said:
believe me, it still hurts just not for quite so long
Even now, I am limited by breathlessness that prevents me from reaching the pain barrier. Maybe that is a good thing. I do not remember this on DF. I have never got so slow that I fell off, although I get pretty snakey sometimes. I have 23mm Rubino and never slip, although I got two pinch-flats within 100 miles. I have a Garbaruk 40t single oval ring and a 10-42 cassette and 145 cranks. I am not a mountaineer. I think the steepest hills around here are about 12%. 46-56 is pretty good going. I usually stick to flat English beer. It is the flat Italian tyres that annoy me.

It seems I have been lying to the forum, the bit coming out of the ferryport that I'd put at 6-7%, I'm reliably informed by two separate locals on today's group ride starts at 9% and then steepens to 14%.

I'm now slightly impressed with myself, although it would not have taken much more of it to have me off and pushing.

Bentas

I'm using Conti Grand Prix 2's x 23 at between 85 -90 psi and 1x 44t up front, with 10 speed 11 to 46 cassette,
Only have to get off and walk when it gets to steep to keep my balance, don't know what degree these inclines are but speed is walking pace, around 4 to 5 Klm's per hr. This is rare, as is any kind of front wheel slip.

Enid

I'm planning on taking a V20 to a country with insanely steep and gravel-laden hills. I tried a Performer FWD and the wheel slip was prohibitive. Are Cruzbikes any better?

I'd agree in general. I've been up 14% with a touring load, and struggled with wheelspin on any dampness on tarmac. Also struggled with wet roads at lower gradients - in this case more of a re-start issue if you get stopped. Lower gearing helps on the roads, and then it becomes a function of low-speed balance, but I'd honestly give gravel a miss on an unsuspended recumbent in general. I once rode my S40 on a dry dirt track for between 1km and 1mile and it was not the most pleasant experience.

Enid

Saturday I rode up the steepest hill I normally rode on my DF. It's a 10% grade with some length compared to the really short hill of the other day.. I realized that I was trying to pedal too fast and that was causing most of the tire slip I was having. After slowing down my cadence to a more reasonable pace and increasing the gearing it wasn't that bad. Only milestone left is to be a able to ride hands free

So, a 13% grade is probably out of the question? we have a lot of 13% grades here in Thailand.

Winded Lowrider

I'm still working on steep climbing with the V20. So far 13 percent is my max in dry conditions. I've got a 11-40t that will be installed soon for hill climbing experiment. I'd like to be able to conquer 15-18 percent grades that are common in my area.

I ride gravel frequently now. In my experience FWD is not viable on gravel. Just a short section of packed gravel on the V20 and I lost control and landed hard on my right shoulder. Still hurts months later, making Doc appt today.

For gravel the Giro 26 works very well. 26x1.75 tires handle rail trail and forest roads well. no slipping. Very steep inclines (above 15 percent) can cause spontaneous wheelies

Attachments

• Recumbent gravel.png
    Recumbent gravel.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

ed72

Zen MBB Master
When fit I weigh 235 lbs including fully loaded bike setup for randonneuring.

On a 15% climb, it takes me 200 watts to go 2.5 mph and 360 watts to go 4 mph.

It took me a long, long time and training to make it up a relatively long 17% grade and it was only a 15 minute climb and it hurt bad. Some of this comes down to balance and traction but the W/Kg factor cannot be ignored. Hats off to anyone climbing 15+ percent gradients on a bent.