extremely steep hill climb

Winded Lowrider

With consistent effort I dropped 15 pounds to 173lbs this summer. That helps substantially when climbing. Every pound counts. Back in my racing days i did not find my climbing legs until my weight dropped below 165...160 was better. Strength to weight ratio rules climbing with both values hard to change much. A ten percent drop in weight and a ten percent increase in strength makes a huge difference in how it feels to climb.

My Df riding buddy was crawling up a 14 percent climb at 1.5 mph that I had to bail and walk up. I was amazed at how slow he could go uphill.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
More than 15% on gravel is tough on anything that isn’t spelled mtb. And even on mtb it takes not just strength but lots of technique. As I’ve shared on here many times, smooth cadence is absolutely key for steep road climbs. I can do 15% or a bit more (not for 30 minutes) on the V early on a ride but after 75 hard miles it’s usually herky jerky cadence that gets me before insufficient wattage. Still think I can climb those really steep grades a bit better on the S40

Greg S

I've done a relatively short stretch at 17% on my S40 and if I recall correctly hit a very small patch of wet pavement which caused significant wheel slip. I've done that particular climb a number of times and can manage it OK but it would be impossible on gravel. I think even if your pedal stroke were smooth as silk that 10% would not be possible.

I tend to categorize climbs not by whether or not I can get up them but rather by whether I can maintain a straight line (or close) on the climb. 17% on dry pavement is my limit and I'm really having to focus on smooth, steady power and not making any unnecessary tugs on the handlebars. I've found that it's actually harder to climb that gradient with a super easy gear and maintain any semblance of control. My easiest gear is 34x40 which at 90 RPM has me going about 6 MPH. This allows me to maintain a straight line if I focus on it.

Bill Wightman

With consistent effort I dropped 15 pounds to 173lbs this summer.
Congrats on the weight progress. I am down to 189 lb from 199 and it makes a huge difference on starts off lights and random sprints in group rides. Still have ~15 to go. Will take a while but is worth the effort.

Some years ago I made a deal with myself. Reach and maintain ideal body weight (BMI < 26) and I could reward myself with a new diamond frame bike.
:emoji_mountain_bicyclist:
Fortunately when Cruzbike came on my radar I bought the V20, rejecting the requirement to loose the excess weight first. :)
Now with this talk I have additional commitment to reach that goal. Better health. Faster climbing. Keeping up with the fast riders. Easier to pedal while sitting up (to get more weight on the drive wheel.) All good reasons.
As it is now, I can do short segments of 13-14% (Garmin reported) incline but want to be better. So, once again, my New Year’s Resolution is to commit to the steps necessary to loose >30 lbs.

Bill Wightman

So, once again, my New Year’s Resolution is to commit to the steps necessary to loose >30 lbs
A way I have found to consistently loose weight is to have a long term reasonable goal, like six months out. I record my weight every day and watch how it responds to my weekly eating pattern. So if you keep a paper or Excel log you can set up a nice easy 1/2 to 1 pound per week loss rate forecast. All I do if I am over my expected weight for the day is to skip a meal the next day. Usually dinner is best as you can sleep while you are a little bit hungry and get a healthy short fast. If you are a carboholic like me it helps to cut back on the chocolate just on general principles. Keep it really simple and it will nag you in a good way, like brushing teeth. I think it is the only way to actually make the V20 even more competitive on big hills for us old guys. If you have lost 27 lbs then your bike is essentially weightless (relative to you)! Consistency in the first month is most important as it establishes the habit, similar to the habit you have to get out on the bike once, twice, or more per week. IMO dropping carbs is way healthier than any other way but that is a whole different discussion.

that is a whole different discussion.
Oh, yes. Like these:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/diet-low-carb-and-ultra-cycling.11000/
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/a-proposed-method-to-fight-cancer-starve-it.11085/

I have another good reason to lighten the load. I signed up for part of America by Bicycle's "Ride The West". There will be lots of climbing, but not likely to be so "extremely steep" to require walking.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32428659