front wheel change

Fletch

Thank you so much for the video Robert. I had all of those complications 5 days ago but I had a front wheel flat. I've only had my S40 for about a month and your video answered all my questions even though slightly late. I got a whole bunch of insect bites that are still itching, while I tried to figure out what to do and in what order. I survived and so did the S40. Thanks again for your rapid response.

Brad R

the numerous replies, tricks people have listed and mishaps described all make my point. And yes I have been riding for fifty years and built bikes so quit shooting the messenger. I have the new T50, there are no instructional videos on changing the front tire or even a warning that it is as tricky as everyone is saying. To get out on the road not knowing that is disastrous.

I also have a T50. I had to replace the inner tube on my front wheel during my ride last night. I have had the bike since the Kickstarter launch. The T50 doesn’t have the issue of the stays separating because it has a regular dropout. My wheel had not been out for a long time. My only difficulty was that it didn’t slide out easily and I had to bump it out with a little hand strike. I built the bike up from a frame set and knew that it was a normal dropout, but I was afraid I had forgotten something when it didn’t slide out easily at first. Of course the drive wheel on a DF or rear drive recumbent doesn’t flop around. So that adds a wrinkle the first time you have to dismount the wheel. Glad you got it changed and made it back home.

Kenneth Jessett

I decided to change the tyres on my Vendetta in my garage yesterday for 28's from the original 25's. An hour later with much swearing and throwing things and bloodied hands, the job was done. I'd hate to have to do that out on the road side. These through-skewers are the most stupid idea ever. The idiot who built these bikes with that system is *%$#@^&*%$.

Fletch

Agreed. Similar experience on the road. Even after seeing Robert's video, changing front tire on S40 a frustrating experience. A design update possible?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Changing a wheel or tire is never what I would call fun but what specifically is harder about the Cruzbike wheel change?
1. Removing the wheel,
2. Changing the tire,
3. Putting the wheel back on?

All three of them have their challenges but typically:
1. is pretty similar to a diamond frame bike,
2. is exactly the same as a diamond frame bike, and
3. is a new experience because of the differences between Cruzbike front wheel and diamond frame rear wheel.

If you are doing it with the bike upright then 1, 2, and even 3 are actually easier on the Cruzbike because one hand on the boom or chain stay can balance the whole bike and control the orientation of the dropouts - two things that are more awkward with a diamond frame while trying to not have the front end swing around. If you flip it over the diamond frame might be easier but I never do that with my Cruzbike because I have a mirror sticking up off the handlebars and it would break. On the QX100 I have few problems removing wheels and putting them back on. The hardest part is lining up the disc brake rotor to fit between the pads - same for both and absolutely worth it. But to be honest, with I usually just place the bike on its side. It must be just the S and V models that fork and chain stay CAN separate.

...The idiot who built these bikes with that system is *%$#@^&*%$.
:eek: Please stick to complimentary name calling only please. :p

Further, @Robert Holler clearly identified in his video the reason for the choice of hub type - trying to meet future and cross-platform compatibility and that it was a mistake and will be replaced with a better set up next run. What a company - willing to admit a mistake, make an excellent video to demonstrate how to use the product, how to avoid common pitfalls, best methods, including explaining how it works, and improving things for the next round based on company expertise AND consumer experience. Wow!

jond

Zen MBB Master
nah no mistake it’s a great small family company beholden to industry evolvement and can’t possibly react as quickly to trends advances etc as the bigger crazy popular dictated by dollars only behemoths.

And yes I turn my bike upside down at my peril to change a flat. And my triangle is ahem zip tied to stay happy. Once you’ve flatted a few times on the front it’s second nature and as Ben says as easy as a rear df wheel.

My springs on qr ended up in the bin through attrition rather than any thought of mine. Lol.

Last edited:

Kenneth Jessett

"Changing a wheel or tire is never what I would call fun"

Oh, I don't know. I can change the tube on any of my standard bikes on the side of a road in five minutes. I'm really rather good at it.

"Zip tie is the key."

I used a zip tie, didn't work - for me.

"Please stick to complimentary name calling only please."

Any one you have in mind? :p

"If you are doing it with the bike upright..."

Seeing I was doing it in the garage, I hung it from a hook, I turned it upside down, I sat it upright, I threw out it out into the road :mad: but nothing worked. :(

Kenneth Jessett

One of the reasons I never ride the V more than an hour's walk from where I leave the car is for this very problem.

Oddly enough, the new standard Cannondale Synapse bike I just bought has the same skewer arrangement and since I ride that multiples of 100 miles at a time, I really need to experiment with removing the wheel and seeing if the same issue presents itself.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
OK all - here is another pro tip that I imagine I should re-edit into the video. Or maybe a new one. Bear with me:

Your front end - if it is popping out all over the place all the time, must have some kind of static tension on it because something is misaligned. The fork - when aimed straight - and the chainstay/boom/slider assembly - when pivoted down to meet the fork, should go on totally 100% aligned so the skewer goes straight through one side, the hub, and the other without forcing or needing to "tweak" one side.

If the front end has been adjusted - and all the parts aren't aligned correctly - the tendency of the stay is to need a "twist" to align correctly with the fork. I believe I cover this at least in the build videos. I used to see this on the older Suspended Silvios when someone would make a boom adjustment and not release the tension at the BB clamp bolts or skewer, causing the front stay to be under a serious amount of tension sometimes bent the wrong direction.

But even under some tension this change is not particularly difficult. Some RWD recumbents (depending on the derraileur/hub/brakes) are a more serious headache than any model Cruzbike IMHO and I spend every day swapping wheels and changing tires on all kinds of bikes. I do not rank the Cruzbikes as any more or less difficult than any other bikes. Just different.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
OK all - here is another pro tip that I imagine I should re-edit into the video. Or maybe a new one. Bear with me:

Your front end - if it is popping out all over the place all the time, must have some kind of static tension on it because something is misaligned. The fork - when aimed straight - and the chainstay/boom/slider assembly - when pivoted down to meet the fork, should go on totally 100% aligned so the skewer goes straight through one side, the hub, and the other without forcing or needing to "tweak" one side.

If the front end has been adjusted - and all the parts aren't aligned correctly - the tendency of the stay is to need a "twist" to align correctly with the fork. I believe I cover this at least in the build videos. I used to see this on the older Suspended Silvios when someone would make a boom adjustment and not release the tension at the BB clamp bolts or skewer, causing the front stay to be under a serious amount of tension sometimes bent the wrong direction.

But even under some tension this change is not particularly difficult. Some RWD recumbents (depending on the derraileur/hub/brakes) are a more serious headache than any model Cruzbike IMHO and I spend every day swapping wheels and changing tires on all kinds of bikes. I do not rank the Cruzbikes as any more or less difficult than any other bikes. Just different.
Robert, Thanks for the boom misalignment suggestion, I will recheck!!!

joy

Just ride with a partner :) I swap wheels out all the time on my S40. We turn it upside down. Hubby holds the chain, derraileur. I pop the wheel in and out and we’re good to go.