front wheel change

There’s also the effect of the derailleur.
When I switched my V20 from a SRAM GX (mountain) to a Force 22 (road) it became easier to remount the wheel. The mountain bike derailleur has a cam that sticks out and catches the wheel’s hub. Especially difficult with disc brakes when alignment has to be just right. I use the Zip ties on the left side only so if I’m struggling too much I can pop out the derailleur hanger until the wheel is seated. I wonder if the electronic mtb derailleur would be easier.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Important bit missing from the above discussion is wheel choice. If you’re a rim brake aficionado, you can use a 130mm hub spacing and the wheel slides in and out, no problem. But there does not seem to be such an animal as a 130 disc hub. Disc wheels are 135 spacing and require spreading of the fork legs during a wheel change. That’s where the problem is greatest.

Using a RD w cage lock, (Sram) helps a whole lot by removing one moving part.

Easiest arrangement is rim brake (130mm) plus cage lock. Disc brake w/o cage lock, out on the road, in the rain, with cold hands . . . Call UberX!
The Silvio V1.0 with rim brakes is the easiest with the 130 hub AND 90 degree mating surfaces on the derailleur, compared to 30 degrees, so any sideways force on the forks does not pop the derailleur out!!!!!!

The best solution will be a through axle with the derailleur retained by a lock nut!!!!!
When are we going to see the details of the new Q45 front axle?????????

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Not that I'd need it after learning how to reassemble it, and there is still the Ziptie option, but Tac welding on the back sides might be possible. However that would make changing the rear derailleur a PITA if you ever bent it.
Yes, I AM bored. This half loaf of cinnamon bread and cafe mocha for breakfast aren't doing it for me haha

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
@Frito Bandito it is time for you to start doing noodle shop reviews. should take a few years for you to eat thru them all.
3bs, I have the absolute worst luck in ordering food. I have a group chat with the boys here, mostly golf stuff, but a few cyclists and they get a weekly report on just how bad it is. It is called "Frito Banditos Food Follies." Everything from too much mayo and leaving the onions on the burgers, putting corn on a pizza, undercooking my steak. I have no idea what it is. I speak Japanese well enough to order food, have them repeat the order back to me, check the receipt, I'm polite to them... it has happened so much that I have lowered my expectations as far as I can.

But, it would be fun to start VLOGing my trips. As a matter of fact, I am riding through Tokyo tomorrow to go to Lake Yamanakako near Mt. Fuji with a friend. I was thinking of taking the V20 this time. The storage on it is much better than what I have on my commuter bike, but I will take it in Spring. Like last time, I will send a "booze box" full of home made pina coladas, Mojitos and/or Palomas in the mail so it will be waiting for us when we get there. Hopefully the steak restaurant is still there too. There are a few campsites in the mountains along 413 (Doshi road) where people can rent cabins (We rented a few for the 2020 Olympics to watch the bikes pass by) but Corona screwed that up. Instead we just drank like fish all weekend and had tons of BBQ as it rained. Oh well, we have them rented for the last weekend next July just in case hahaha.

Reactions: 3bs