Help me choose

ThunderThighs

Hello everybody

I am looking for my First recumbent bike which i would like to build up myself as i have most of the parts , so I am looking at two framesets which are the V40 and the T50 . I would like to ride two to four times a week with two hour rides during the week and maybe longer on the weekends. I have had a herniated disc since my early 20's and i am now turning 40 that would also be something to consider. Originally i had settled on the V40 but my mind keeps telling me I must be nuts as I would be paying close to 3000$ for an aluminium frameset ( I live overseas). The T50 seems to be advertised as a arround town bike and there is not a lot of Information on People doing longish rides on them which makes me a bit weary also that it is more upright and that it could be a problem with my back.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hello everybody

I am looking for my First recumbent bike which i would like to build up myself as i have most of the parts , so I am looking at two framesets which are the V40 and the T50 . I would like to ride two to four times a week with two hour rides during the week and maybe longer on the weekends. I have had a herniated disc since my early 20's and i am now turning 40 that would also be something to consider. Originally i had settled on the V40 but my mind keeps telling me I must be nuts as I would be paying close to 3000$ for an aluminium frameset ( I live overseas). The T50 seems to be advertised as a arround town bike and there is not a lot of Information on People doing longish rides on them which makes me a bit weary also that it is more upright and that it could be a problem with my back.

If you have a problem with your back with a rigid more upright position then try the Cruzbike Q45. The seat angle is adjustable and it has rear suspension.
It looks like really good value for money becuase it is a complete bike.

hero-products-q45-green_540x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe
Hello everybody

I switched to a recumbent in 2016 choosing the V20 for its efficiency and comfort. It seems most long distance riders prefer the V20 with the S40 (and its predecessors) up next. The S40’s more upright stance gives more recumbutt on longer rides, but could be easier to learn and to look around. The Q45 has been used for long trips as well. See this report.
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/q45-across-america.12787/
Look through the blog posts and this forum for stories. There’s a great blog post from the Parkers’ tour with their T50s.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i presume you mean the s40 not the v20 since there his no v40 except if someone jacks the angle on the v20 to 40, which is fine.

i have a v20 and a t50, i have ridden s's and q's

the furthest i have ridden my t50 at once was about 65 miles. it is not my preferred bike for any distance because mine is stock. you can move the seat all over the place, so i would not be concerned about that. likewise, there are many things that can be done to it to make it a good long distance bike.

since i have the privilege of more than one bike, my t50 is my crappy surface and pub crawl bike where stops are frequent and speed is not an issue.

if i was trying to spend money to have just one, and i was not a total speed freak, i think i would get a q45.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hello everybody

How fast do you need/want to ride. 10-15mph or 13-18mph?

The T50 can be made a 2 hour bike; but you will need good wheels for comfort. I would happily ride my for 4 hours on my build but the average speed would be around 14mph
Meanwhile the S40 I have no issue considering an 8 hours ride.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
My first recumbent was an S40. Been riding it for 2+ years. Built up a V20 4 or 5 weeks ago and have ridden it most in that time. I love the V for its speed and comfort. I could ride it all day long. And honestly it is faster than I am on descents. But it is not as easy to handle. If I was not looking for best speed/efficiency I might give the nod to the S40. It is an overall more versatile bike. Rack mounts, a bit more visible in traffic. But w that said, since I built the V, theS has been hanging in the basement

simonc

Hi Everyone,
Down here in lockdown New Zealand we very rarely see any recumbent bikes - ever! I think I might be about to change that as I am very nearly committed to getting a Vendetta V20. To save money I want to purchase a new frame set from Cruzbikes. I have a few questions that Ratz should be able to help me out with:

1. Due to chronic back issues from riding DF bikes for about 20 years I reckon the move to a recumbent will extend my biking days another 10 plus years. I am 67. I managed to rent a trike for a week and found that the recumbent position was very relaxing and no problem for my troublesome back. The trike was a real heavyweight but certainly the position I was put in was fine. The V20 has a 20 degree seat position which I am guessing is no further back than the trike I tried out. Is diving straight into getting a V20 too big a jump for someone new to recumbents? I want to keep up with my DF bunch riding friends so need a bike with real speed. I have no issue with putting in the time to learn the skills a V20 requires.
2. Will my Ultegra 6700 10 speed groupset from my Giant TCR Advanced fit onto the V20? - particularly worried about the BB.
3. Will my aero wheels be compatible with the V20? The rim of the back wheel is 52mm - this would become the front wheel on a V20. The front wheel is 34mm and would become the rear wheel.
4. I have changed bottom brackets, cranksets and and various other bits on my bikes over the years so whilst I am no bike mechanic I do have moderately good bike building skills. W hat is your take on the skill level required to use a DF groupset to build a V20?

Hope you can offer some advise here.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I think you are headed in the right direction. Sounds like your skill level with a wrench should make it easy enough to move your kit of parts from your Giant to a new V20 frameset. The CB assembly videos are quite good and of course this forum is an amazing source of good input if you get yourself in a jam. Wheels, Ultegra groupset, BB should all be fine. And as a bonus, the new V frameset has a longer FD stem so getting it in the right position should be easier than with older frames. One caution on the build process. Avoid the tendency to go and wrap those handle bars right away. Cut your shifter and brake housing and cables a bit on the long side to give yourself lots of room for adjusting the bike set up. You'll have a few extra bends of housing to temporary hold in place with some velcro bands or zip ties. But it will be worth it in the end. Once you have it dialed in, ride it a few more times just to make sure. Then disconnect all the cables, trim the housing to appropriate length and finish up everything nice and tidy. Nothing more frustrating than getting it all set and finding out it really isn't - and then having to go out and buy more housing and cable . . . and bar tape. Do I sound like someone speaking from experience?

As for learnign to ride the V and getting comfy with it, you obviously already have the right attitude which is 90% of the battle. Everyone new to CB hits a plateau after a bit of time, some after a week and others after a month or two, where they feel like they are never going to "get there." But perserverence will pay off and you will get there. As I and others have said here before, just don't get impatient with speed. If you start feeling uncomfortable when you go above a certain speed, then stay under that mark for a few days and give yourself some time. Do the "learning to ride" exercizes and watch the videos. In no time you'll have no problem keeping up with your DF buddies . . . although they may have a hard time keeping up with you!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
paco1961 said:
Avoid the tendency to go and wrap those handle bars right away. Cut your shifter and brake housing and cables a bit on the long side to give yourself lots of room for adjusting the bike set up. You'll have a few extra bends of housing to temporary hold in place with some velcro bands or zip ties. But it will be worth it in the end. Once you have it dialed in, ride it a few more times just to make sure. Then disconnect all the cables, trim the housing to appropriate length and finish up everything nice and tidy. Nothing more frustrating than getting it all set and finding out it really isn't - and then having to go out and buy more housing and cable . . . and bar tape. Do I sound like someone speaking from experience?
It took me ages and miles to get my Silvio to fit right. I cannot remember how many handlebars I tried and how many times I turned them round or inverted them. That was before I got short cranks. Does the bike feel weird because you are not used to it, or because you have it set up wrong? This question is impossible to answer quickly. Eventually you will reach that state where the bike seems to fit like a glove. Tape the bars and feed the cables through the frame in haste, repent at leisure.

Giloun

Hello everybody

The main difference between S40 and Q45 is rear suspension and weight.
For "longer rides" and back problem I think a Q45 is more suitable for you IMHO.
I did a 8 days solo ride of 600km with Q45 last year and here is my report of it as a long distance touring bike.
I think Q45 is perfect touring/"longer rides" bike on different road condition. If anything I want to add on it, is a nice head rest (which I did add) and front suspension.
Here is my report of the ride:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/korea-q45-solo-from-busan-to-seoul.12819/

Last edited:

simonc

Still trying to match up my old Ultegra 6700 to a V20. I am told it should all go OK but I see that the BB on the V20 frameset is a threaded 68mm while the Ultegra groupset has a press fit. I presume this means buying a new threaded BB? Can anyone out there tell me definitively plus any other compatibility issues I may face?

ratz

I presume this means buying a new threaded BB? Can anyone out there tell me definitively
Email chris@realworldcycling.com and ask him what BSA68 thread BB's he has that are compatible with your crank. Then my from them because they make the best and you have to have a great BB to make the V20 shine. If you have the old chainstay all one part you are limited to 24mm cranks. If you have the new chain stay wear the clamps come apart then you have the options to use 30mm cranks.

simonc

Thanks paco1961, bladderhead and ratz for your great advice. I still have the odd issue about compatibility when building a V20 using Ultegra 6700. The biggest issue is the thought of commiting around $5000 NZ to a bike that may or may not allow me to ride again (after years of dealing with chronic back pain from riding a DF). I am now at the point of accepting that unless I go for it I will never really know - there is however, an excellent chance that a V20 will give me a new lease of cycling life. Now I am going to demostrate just how little I know about bikes by asking what you may well regard as some pretty dumb questions:

I know I will need a new BB as the Shimano SM FC7800 is a press fit and I need threaded BB to go on the V20. I will take ratz advise and buy one from Real World Cycling. Rookie question: will the total BB width be changed by using HT2BSA BB Ceramic BB's? On my Giant TCR Advanced frame the total width with the press fit BB installed is 90.4 mm. I am guessing that if this changes using the threaded BB I won't be able to use my Shimano 50/34 compact crankset.

Can I presume that the Ultegra 6700 front derailleur (whcih uses a braze on fitting) will easily fit the front derailleur stem on the V20?

The rear derailleur hanger attaches using two screws next to the frame dropouts on my Giant TCR. The V20 hanger is totally different and uses a different kind of hanger. Can I use the V20 hanger on my Ultegra 6700 rear derailleur?

I read the Vendetta V20 build diary 2016 by ratz (a great source of inspiration) and noticed that the rear brake had very little clearance with the V20 frame. Am I likely to have an issue with installing a Shimano Ultegra rear brake?

If anyone out there has some answers for me I will be most grateful. I just want to be sure about building my V20 before I commit the $'s

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@simonc
When I first got my v20 frameset, I pulled an old ultegra triple group set off the shelf and built it. Used bar end shifters. Had to fabricate the wheel and guide for the front mech to run the triple. I never really liked how it ran and that winter I rebuilt in sram Force 22. Added wickwerks wide rings. Ran that for a while but couldn't get the rings to run the whole cassette so this winter I converted to 2x10 by putting a rival brifter on and changed cassettes. I use a stock seat with a wedge. I tried a mid sized Thor seat and could never get it right. I think too small.

I modified my hanger to increase the adjustment by tapping in a fence.

Fun stuff

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Thanks paco1961, bladderhead and ratz for your great advice. I still have the odd issue about compatibility when building a V20 using Ultegra 6700. The biggest issue is the thought of commiting around $5000 NZ to a bike that may or may not allow me to ride again (after years of dealing with chronic back pain from riding a DF). I am now at the point of accepting that unless I go for it I will never really know - there is however, an excellent chance that a V20 will give me a new lease of cycling life. Now I am going to demostrate just how little I know about bikes by asking what you may well regard as some pretty dumb questions:

I know I will need a new BB as the Shimano SM FC7800 is a press fit and I need threaded BB to go on the V20. I will take ratz advise and buy one from Real World Cycling. Rookie question: will the total BB width be changed by using HT2BSA BB Ceramic BB's? On my Giant TCR Advanced frame the total width with the press fit BB installed is 90.4 mm. I am guessing that if this changes using the threaded BB I won't be able to use my Shimano 50/34 compact crankset.

Can I presume that the Ultegra 6700 front derailleur (whcih uses a braze on fitting) will easily fit the front derailleur stem on the V20?

The rear derailleur hanger attaches using two screws next to the frame dropouts on my Giant TCR. The V20 hanger is totally different and uses a different kind of hanger. Can I use the V20 hanger on my Ultegra 6700 rear derailleur?

I read the Vendetta V20 build diary 2016 by ratz (a great source of inspiration) and noticed that the rear brake had very little clearance with the V20 frame. Am I likely to have an issue with installing a Shimano Ultegra rear brake?

If anyone out there has some answers for me I will be most grateful. I just want to be sure about building my V20 before I commit the $'s

I’ll go in reverse order.

Rear brake. I had no problem w the rear. The front was a different story. Had to turn an aluminum bushing to hold the calipers about 3/8” out from front of the fork crown to keep the pad holders from hitting the fork. Before I turned the bushing I used a bunch of washers and it worked ok.

Attachment of rear derailleur should not be a problem. I have had an Ultegra 6800 on my S40 w no problem.

Front D will work. If this is a new V frameset you’re in luck as I understand they have lengthened the mount. Should take care of some adjustment challenges others have had.

Don’t know anything about that particular BB

Enjoy the build process!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
... Fun stuff
@simonc Don't be scared off by @3bs experience. He likes to tinker so when he says Fun Stuff that really is what he means. In the unlikely event that you run into difficulties after gleaning all that you can from these good people then the local bike coop or shop can help you with anything you might have problems with. It sounds like @paco1961 addressed all your other concerns.

An alternative might be to purchase a used Vendetta or V20 and have it shipped to you. You would have to keep your eyes on this forum's Marketplace and maybe on bentrider and local craigslist/ebay/etc. That way you would get a complete bike and would be able to replace parts with your ultegra parts only if/when you want to. I purchased my first Cruzbike from a Kiwi. It was a conversion kit that he to shipped me all the way here in Ontario, Canada when he was replacing it with a Vendetta from Australia.

Once you have the bike this forum will continue to be a wealth of information and answers any questions you might have (well if they are related to Cruzbikes - for the meaning of life outside of bikes you might need to look elsewhere.) Welcome to the Cruzbike family.

MariposaLand

Welcome to the CB world KK! I went through the same process of doubt I would ever be able to ride a bike again due to spinal stenosis. I was in severe pain every time I rode my $6,000 DF beauty. I still wish I could ride it but I sold it for $3500 on eBay and reluctantly bought a S40 doubting its ability to reduce the pain. I was pleasantly
surprised. No neck or lower back pain; in fact I feel much better when I ride my S40. Regarding the learning curve, it just takes time. I wanted to throw it in the lake after a few months (I am a slow learner). It took me 400 miles in the saddle before I was proficient; now it is a wonderful experience...with no pain!!! There is also an issue of building your bent legs; don’t get discouraged when you first start riding (you will be slower), especially up hills. You will overcome all of that and start gaining PRs after a while. As a 61 year old I can keep up with my much younger riding partners. You will not regret pulling the trigger on a CB...all the luck from Arkansas! TZ

Last edited:

ratz

Crank width is a function of the crank not the BB it will work and be the same.
Press fit looks narrow because it fits into a wider frame bb shell.
Thats how you improve aero on non aero DFs

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
MariposaLand said:
I wanted to throw it in the lake after a few months (I am a slow learner). It took me 400 miles in the saddle before I was proficient; now it is a wonderful experience...with no pain!!!
My experience. I berated the bike loudly in the street. I told it it was a waste of aluminium. I called John Tolhurst a shyster and Maria Parker a Russian bot. They are vindicated now. All that "learning curve" business is worth it. Bike is a blast. I just feel sorry for the poor old Grasshopper with its front and rear springs, massive load capacity and Rohloff gears.

I never threw the Silvio in the lake. It just looks like I did. So does the Grasshopper. I seem to have that effect on bikes.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Hi Simonc,

After 27 years on a DF, my lower back couldn't take it anymore, but the stigma surrounding recumbents kept me away for awhile. Eventually I had to choose: ride in pain, don't ride at all, or consider a recumbent. Didn't know anything about them, but after some research I pulled the trigger on a Vendetta frame kit, taking it totally on faith that I was making a good decision. That was almost five years ago, and the V has become the best, most entertaining road bike I've ever owned. Even if my back were somehow able to return to a DF road bike, I wouldn't go back. The V is so comfortable and so fast, including climbing, that I often extend rides from my original route because the miles just feel so good. My friends ask me how I can routinely do longer rides, and my answer is simply, "nothing hurts." Yes, there is a learning curve, but it's worth the effort to work through it.

As for your compatibility questions... Most standard threaded bottom brackets should work, as long as it is compatible with a Shimano 24mm axle crank.

Your front and rear derailleurs and rear brake will fit just fine.