Homebuild - Super V15

Rob Lloyd

I wasn’t sure if non-Cruzbikes were allowed or welcome here; but I see Marco has his build diary posted. So, I thought I’d post mine too.

This is my homebuilt MBB race bike. It’s CroMoly Steel, 15deg seat angle; overall, maybe a bit like ‘Magic’. I’m calling it the ‘Super V15’ for now.

Drawing:
50507810432_472160d845_c.jpg

Boom:
50560489928_f232d94725_c.jpg

Fork:
50607197986_256c1068dd_c.jpg

50607314302_5a729c956f_c.jpg

Brace:
50634464953_725200646f_c.jpg

Main frame is under construction now.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I meant the faired recumbent, but that RWD is just as gorgeous and sleek. Is it a handful compared with the V20 stock bars?

Rob Lloyd

Oh, the velo is just a shell on a stand for now. Project kind of in progress. It’s the ‘Lazarus’ shell from Cal Poly SLO.

https://www.hpv.calpoly.edu/old-bikes/cgtvqqkbpwhec89gshq6al1r0ks8f3

The RWD mid racer isn’t really a handful with the gunner bars. But, it is difficult to ride on the road. The turning radius is way too big with the drop chain. That’s my main motivation for building the MBB with nearly the same ergonomics.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Not sure if I am ready to go with gunner bars just yet, but after looking at the RWD mid racer I decided to finally swap the aluminum 44 OEM drop bars on my V20 for a spare CF 42 bar that I chopped and turned into some bullhorns. It's not the final form, but it's a bit lighter and more aero for now.
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 19.35.05.png
Your velo reminds me of the Varna 24, which is still 1 of my faves.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@Rob Lloyd this is a tinkering crew, so bring it all.
you will have to mess the shop up a bit.

what do you think the frame weight will be including the front end?

Rob Lloyd

@Rob Lloyd this is a tinkering crew, so bring it all.
you will have to mess the shop up a bit.

what do you think the frame weight will be including the front end?

The fork is 2.2lb, with the full-length steerer, all cable stops, but before finishing and paint.
The Boom/stem is 2.6 lb with all cable stops and binders; before finishing and paint.
The brace is too light to register on my bathroom scale. So, I'll guess it's a half pound.
The main frame estimate is ~5lbs.

So, the full frame set should come in at just over 10lbs. Not sure if that's heavy or light...

3bs

whereabouts unknown
hard to say. your design is very similar to one i have drawn for steel using a thor seat. Its on my list of things to do. so at this point i am more collecting data on weight and tube thickness choices of different people who are doing now or have done similar in the past. the v20 main frame is like 3.7. i am also thinking about the different materials. jm and marco have carbon under control cb has aluminum handled, so i thought it would be fun to try it in steel. warren beauchamp did a steel bike years ago that has some interesting features.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Doug fattic lives 20 miles from me. One of the pillars of modern american frame building. 40 years ago I tried to take a frame building class from him, but got sidetracked by my work and college.
I am trying to get a class with him after the first of the year.

I want to create some things that don't exist.

M.J

I've been following this on BROL and am happy to see it here where it will get some interest from people who understand MBB better!

M.J

My dream bike is something like your initial drawing but with the seat and BB lower. A steel REV, in other words.
I recently got my first steel bike, a RANS Stratus, and can see the appeal of the material. Carbon sounds like fun but I would be worried about every pothole and bump in the road while riding.

Rob Lloyd

My dream bike is something like your initial drawing but with the seat and BB lower. A steel REV, in other words.
I recently got my first steel bike, a RANS Stratus, and can see the appeal of the material. Carbon sounds like fun but I would be worried about every pothole and bump in the road while riding.

I think my legs aren't long enough for that...

M.J

With MBB you can put the pedals almost anywhere. Levels of wheel overlap that are unthinkable on a RWD bike are no big deal.
4JQf-BEDcu5rFteBl98Zipde5KnZm-y1LNBYqa5-cUI-2048x1224.jpg