Homebuild - Super V15

Rob Lloyd

OK, here’s one thing - I rode the LWB bike right after the goblin; the LWB seat is about a half inch further away, and the seat angle is 35 instead of 15. But, it feels closer to the pedals than the MBB. Should an MBB be a bit closer to the pedals than a ‘regular’ recumbent? All else being equal? The seat to pedals distance and seat angle (15deg) are exactly the same on this bike as my RWD mid-racer. My mid-racer is about perfect. Just wondering if maybe the pedals should be a bit closer for this bike?

If I’m over-extending on the MBB, maybe that’s why it’s so hard to control?

Last edited:
I will say on my V20 I could ride a straight line easier initially with less pedal reach than I had on my Baron. But once I got use to the MBB I moved it back out to about the same distance.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Tweaks to get fit just right is normal for any bike. A Cruzbike (yours included) has many interacting elements to adjust and getting them set is part of the early process. One day you will wake up and say to yourself. Wow, I haven’t adjusted anything in a while. And that will mean that you either have gotten it dialled in or stopped riding it for the winter. Persevere. It is definitely worth it.

Rob Lloyd

So, I basically put this bike on the back-burner this summer as I was having some much trouble figuring it out. I found out this morning that the viscoset must be setup wrong.

The headset on my mid-racer was loose at the MSO 5k TT, and when I took it apart to tighten it, I realized the cap was bottoming out on the steerer tube. So I borrowed a spacer from the mobile bike shop guy and low and behold, the voscoset started working. Well. I had ot take it back apart and try to loosen it up. I could only get 2 of the plates out without any real tools. It still needs to be loosened up some more.

Now, I imagine the same or similar thing is going on with this MBB bike as 'tighteneing' the viscoset really had no effect at all. I want to fix it this weekend and try this bike again.

It's still going to come apart very soon, though. It needs paint desperately. It's starting to get a little surface rust in spots...

Rob Lloyd

Back on the front burner this weekend. I (finally) painted the frameset. Ran out of paint before I got the BB painted. I'll pick up a little more tonight and finish it up, then re-assembly.

I've been riding my LWB a ton outside. But, it's not fast. I've tried a couple fairings, seat angle, handlebars, etc. and nothing lowers the CdA much below 0.300. So, this FWD bike gets another shot.

Rob Lloyd

Painted, assembled and on the training stand. It'll need some tweaks to the bars and boom...

52941587064_934e5aec16_c.jpg

cruzKurt

I never really rode this bike on the training stand before. It's super quiet.
Looks awesome, I like the training stand for getting my pedal position adjusted, I put my M5 on a training stand and makes a world of difference getting dialed in before too many miles on the road. Good job!!

Rob Lloyd

Yeah, I'm just touching the flat part of the bar, as well as the drops - on the stand. So, you know I'll be hitting them on the road when the steering can move, too.

I also think the boom needs to go out another 10-15mm. Not quite getting full extension. Some of that is the indoor shoes/cleats. I need to get some Looks for this bike so I can use my outdoor shoes with the midfoot adapters.

cruzKurt

Yeah, I'm just touching the flat part of the bar, as well ....
I ride with Wahoo speedplays, I have a few thousand miles on my v20 and have the position dialed in. I started too far away, basically knee almost flat and really felt like I couldn't push enough. Then too close and it felt like I was cramped. I made myself a crude protractor out of two sticks and a bolt. Seems like about 146 degrees between shin and thigh at max extension is really good for me. 10 mm either way on the boom and I can tell. I also have some sweet biomac midfoot shoes, and love them.

Of course the M5 and Cruzbike I can adjust leg extension and handlebar position independently. I keep my handle bars so if I extend my fingers I can just barely touch my thighs as they come back towards me. I guess that is different for everyone. But 200 hours over the winter on the trainer, you get plenty of time to think about such things.

Great looking bike, I want to build one myself. I only know how to TIG weld, I would like to build something similar to my M5 for the heck of it.

Great write up, too bad I just found it today. I never wander over to this innovators workshop much.

Kurt

Rob Lloyd

Bar and boom seem pretty dialed in after last nights training. I’m sure I’ll have to adjust again after the new pedals come in and I can try it with my mid foot cleats.

Rob Lloyd

First (painted) ride in. I'm more comfortable on it this time around. But, that's not to say I'm comfortable. Trying to be smooth on the pedals helps, of course.

It's time to clip in. I can see that really helping to be smooth; and with steering with your feet. But, my big concern is, how do you clip out without a violent steer toward the unclipping foot? I feel like I'm going to go down just trying to come to a stop.

cruzKurt

First (painted) ride in. I'm more comfortable on it this time around. But, that's not to say I'm comfortable. Trying to be smooth on the pedals helps, of course.

It's time to clip in. I can see that really helping to be smooth; and with steering with your feet. But, my big concern is, how do you clip out without a violent steer toward the unclipping foot? I feel like I'm going to go down just trying to come to a stop.
For me, clipping in… make sure I am in lowest gear possible. Clip in my right foot, then pedal bringing my left foot up and don’t focus on the foot, focus ahead of you, you can pedal without being clipped in. If you are in lowest gear possible, there won’t be much pedal steer. Focus ahead of you and forget about your feet.

Unclipping, I get in lowest gear possible and unclip both feet simultaneously while still rolling and then both feet down and hands on the brakes. I do not try to sit up until I am balanced and stopped. If for some reason it is an emergency, I unclip my right foot and try to stay upright.