Homebuild - Super V15

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
2nd ride, camera mounted on the boom. Still feels weird to me. Turning actually feels more natural than trying to go straight.

With the number of cars parked outside, it looks like really early morning. When ever I christen a build ... I do the same. You will feel better when you get clipped in. Just use one foot first and use the other foot as a balance. Something tells me you are already an experienced rider. Great build by the way

Rob Lloyd

Finally got around to putting some more miles on this thing (Been to busy training and racing with the CruzBike team in Zwift). Rode about 7mi around the neighborhood back and forth. I’m getting more used to it, but it’s still funky.

Some conclusions:
1. Time to clip in. One of the biggest problems was my feet moving on the pedals going over bumps.
2. This bike is very smooth. Just complaint enough in the back half to be comfortable. But still feels very solid (that’s probably from the stiff front triangle).
3. I wouldn’t have thought it, but hammering down on the pedals actually straightens this bike out. It’s more squirrely when just spinning.
4. Hammering down on the pedals is fun! It moves.
5. No chain noise. I thought my long-chain RWD bikes were all pretty high up there in the quiet department, but this is a whole other level.
6. Low speed turns - can’t pedal in a tight turn, but it will turn pretty sharply without feeling like it’s going over. The bending in the middle feeling is worse the sharper the turn. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Last edited:

Rob Lloyd

The Wellgo cleats that my PowerTap P1’s use won’t fit Shimano pedals. So, I ordered a set of MTB style pedals for the bike. They came in last week. I also didn’t really like the shifter location. Too much movement to get to the levers. So, I swapped brake levers to TT style TRP levers, and moved the shifter to a better spot. That also required a custom shift cable ‘noodle’ that I made from galvanized auto brake tube.

51243570424_2379a2e1c2_c.jpg

51242804421_e7944ccaa6_c.jpg

Now, need to RIDE IT!!!!

Last edited:

Rob Lloyd

Love me some clean cables…

Gave it about 3 miles around the neighborhood tonight. Shifter is perfect. Brake handles are a bit of a reach. But who wants to slow down, anyway? Seriously, though I wish they were adjustable.

It’s really time to clip and give it a serious ride now.

M.J

I keep coming back to this post because I dream of building my own MBB lowracer. For now, I live vicariously through you and Marco.
Any updates on the bike's performance or your acclamation to the platform?

Rob Lloyd

Every time I decide I need to go practice again, it seems to rain. I want to get this out to last year TT route and see how it does. If it's almost as fast as my mid-racer, I would want to take it to the Michigan Senior games and HPRA at Waterford in Aug.

I'm also thinking about doing the Blue Streak in September.

M.J

Every time I decide I need to go practice again, it seems to rain. I want to get this out to last year TT route and see how it does. If it's almost as fast as my mid-racer, I would want to take it to the Michigan Senior games and HPRA at Waterford in Aug.

I'm also thinking about doing the Blue Streak in September.
I did Blue Streak this month and am signed up for July, but that will be my last chance for the year, unfortunately.
I keep hoping they bring back the North Manchester HPRA race. It's less than 2 hours away and I feel like the V20 would be the perfect weapon for a parking lot crit type race.

Rob Lloyd

I forgot about North Manchester. I have never done it, but I think this bike would also bee good for it. I hope they bring it back, too.

Rob Lloyd

Just finished these guys up this afternoon. 200g lighter each than my ‘basic’ wheels (almost a pound). Novatec ‘Atomic’ hubs, Titanium skewers, Pillar 3.2mm aero bladed 14g straight pull spokes, and DT Swiss R460 rims.

These wheels deserve GP5000’s. Good thing I have a bonus coming. Now, I have to paint this bike flat black to match.

I’m planning (in other words - hoping for decent weather) to get this bike out to my TT course this week.

51278030549_9fece53d3b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Lloyd

I did Blue Streak this month and am signed up for July, but that will be my last chance for the year, unfortunately.
I keep hoping they bring back the North Manchester HPRA race. It's less than 2 hours away and I feel like the V20 would be the perfect weapon for a parking lot crit type race.

I did sign up for the July Blue Streak TT. We’re supposed to take a trip that week, but we’re not sure my wife will be able to go. If we cancel the trip, I’ll be in Dayton…

Rob Lloyd

Hmm. Feeling a bit frustrated with this bike today. Got clipped in a rode it 5mi or so. It’s new nickname is the ‘Goblin’. As in wobbly goblin. It’s so hard to keep it going straight, even clipped in. Turns are no problem, I think this thing would carve a slalom out nicely. But, forget trying to get to go in a straight line. If I concentrate on trying to keep it straight, I find myself instantly moving across both lanes toward the left shoulder. What the hell?

Does anyone near me have a V2 I can test ride? I want to see if this is just the way MBB is, or if I missed the steering geometry. I can make a new fork if I just missed it.

Oh, and the viscoset is doing nothing as far as I can tell (even set to ‘max’ as it is now). The steering is super fast which isn’t helping.

I’m gonna go ride my LWB now and relax…