MI Cruzbike retreat 2020 - August 6-9, 2020 Benton Harbor Michigan

MI Cruzbike 2020 - vote for days that DO work for you - If your name is not in post 1, PM benphyr

• July 4 (Thursday to Sunday surrounding Saturday July 4)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • July 11

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • July 18

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • July 25

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Aug 1

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Aug 8

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Aug 15

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Aug 22

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Aug 29

• Sep 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

3bs

whereabouts unknown
or here is another route. i have lots of 25 milers because you can do so many of them in a day. take this one for example. the KOA is just to the east of the coloma road 196 exit, so you can see it can start there just as well.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32962184?privacy_code=tzXxTFIk4Qmzm4Dp

this route take you into coloma where there are several great places to eat breakfast lunch dinner.

so if you all want to do sequential rides rather than the longer ones, we can zip out 25 for breakfast, come back hang out, zip out another 10-25 at lunch and the same at dinner. country roads, wineries lakes rivers, blah blah.

i am working on an event shirt. i am torn between a nice useful shirt with zipper pockets on the front with no logo or a very small one, or something more my style like a conventional cotton t shirt maybe with a front pocket for your cigarettes and a logo that no one understands.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
i am working on an event shirt. i am torn between a nice useful shirt with zipper pockets on the front with no logo or a very small one, or something more my style like a conventional cotton t shirt maybe with a front pocket for your cigarettes and a logo that no one understands.
either way I’ll wear it .. and it will confuse my locals. T-shirt can be used as a rag at end of life by those who don’t chain wax and so need such rags in abundance. :D

benphyr, surprised that you didn't start a holy war when you mentioned chain waxing...You need to be more careful what you post on this thread. That's some volatile stuff right there!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
It is getting harder and harder to goad people into response on this thread. It’s as if all those with a wonky / fun / punny / sense of humour are already planning to come and are content to sit back (recumb)?and lurk and content to or are afraid that they will be coerced into coming to maintain and prove their punny prowess and their alliterative annual acceptance address.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
primacy and recency.

we will have as many as we will have. i was working on how i could smuggle slim out in a roadie box. carlos used one to get out of nippon, and it seemed to work out okay for him....

the tourists are slowly coming back. right now the level is about April volume.
the cyclists are filling back in, but it is remarkably devoid of the triathlon pros that basically train here all summer.
but that also means the roads are not stuffed with as many cars and SUV's.

Sunday my son's school had a high school graduation parade in lieu of a normal graduation. seemed to me to be something they should do anyway.

barbershops reopened yesterday. i drove by my barbershop this morning and at 7:30 the three chair were full, there were three inside waiting and 5 outside. maybe tomorrow.

remember, if you have friends that want to come and ride and dont have CB's that is fine withe me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_073808843_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200616_073808843_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

3bs

whereabouts unknown

3bs

whereabouts unknown
speaking of breakfast, here is a route we did Saturday morning to eat breakfast at phoenix street cafe in south haven.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51518465?privacy_code=gdq5jj9wIM6PjjOQ

and yes one of the guys was riding my TiCa.

keep in mind this route can easily start the the KOA which is just one mile east of the starting point
also keep in mind that we could use this as a breakfast point on the kalhaven century

Attachments

• north shore miscreants.jpg
    north shore miscreants.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Well team, with the cancellation of the official CB event in October, we are faced with the legitimate question as to our event. Since we are August and here, and I live here, I can tell you only "field of dreams" rules apply. If you build it they will come. Well , if you come, we will ride. No pressure. Do what is smart and best for you. This is America even for Slim and Ben.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Well team, with the cancellation of the official CB event in October, we are faced with the legitimate question as to our event. Since we are August and here, and I live here, I can tell you only "field of dreams" rules apply. If you build it they will come. Well , if come, we will ride. No pressure. Do what is thesmartbethe smart and best for you. This is America even for Slim and Ben.
I will have to cancel, UNLESS you can find an oxygen supplied, warmed box for me, and my Silvio, to travel to MI, USA as air freight!!!!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Now = just in time delivery. Its use is a Michigan auto assembly plant specialty. Or was before covid.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Slim. St. Joseph is an international seaport. Get on a boat now. Cruise up the Mississippi or the st Lawrence....
I just checked and the fastest time is 35 days by ship from Port Adelaide, to Long-beach CA, then truck to Detroit MI, assuming there are no customs hold ups at Long-Beach, and the sniffer dogs cannot smell a man who has eaten, slept, used a chemical toilet, and stand up dry washing for 30 days!!!!!

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
Spoke with my touring buddy recently and we both have newfound scheduling difficulties that force us to delay our MI tour by a few weeks. So, regrettably, we won't be in MI at the time of this get-together -- if indeed folks are still coming together for this. I was very much looking forward to meeting folks, hopefully we can ride together at some point in the future. Thanks much to 3bs for his initiative and effort to create this opportunity.

Cheers and ride safe!

-Jack

benphyr

Guru-me-not
:(Boohoo.
Who is still planning on coming?
Benphyr, 3bs... Reply to let us know if you are still planning on coming.

So sad.:(
I must cancel this trip. We’ve had a significant increase in COVID-19 cases here. I work at a hospital and don’t want to risk spreading the virus to you. I’d also rather participate in this event when I could enjoy restaurants and camaraderie with a lower risk of bringing the virus back to my home.
Knou & Jim, I started an off-post conversation with you regarding the KOA cabin as the three of us had planned to share (Slim dropped out earlier).

woodguy

Sorry to add to the diminishing attendance, but I will be canceling my plans to come also. The resurgence of Covid means that we won’t be able to have the enjoyable experience I was looking forward to.

Hope we can plan this for another year!

Seth Cooper

seeing as i am basically a local, i can still come out, as long as michigan doesn't go back into full lockdown...

but my riding has not been enough this year, so i'm not going to be able to put in a lot of miles.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay so here is the latest tally, which looks to me like an event punt.

@3bs - local yes
my neighbor - local yes if in town he just bought a v20
@Seth Cooper - local yes but no long stuff

@benphyr - yes thursday am riding thur pm

@Merczak73 - maybe - have not heard from lately
@CruzLike - maybe - have not heard from lately

@Jim Parker - maybe
@Maria Parker - maybe
@Lucia - maybe

i thought @benphyr lives in Canada, so unless they open the border on the 21st to non essential, i don't see him getting here.

i don't expect the parkers to come all this way unless they just want to ride around here, which of course i think is a good idea, so they are most certainly welcome.

my neighbor may be back in Italy by then

we have a little more time, and either way i will be riding at least two of those days as my normal ride days, so please give me an update if you haven't already.

and remember we can always set up another next year.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
okay so here is the latest tally, which looks to me like an event punt.

i thought @benphyr lives in Canada, so unless they open the border on the 21st to non essential, i don't see him getting here..

and remember we can always set up another next year.
You assumed correctly for me. I need an open border minimum.

And I am assuming that next year will be the second annual Cruz MI even if this year turns out to be your weekend ride. In fact, some might even count my ride around Gun Lake which had in 2019 to be part of the ancestral mythological beginnings of the ride.