New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest for the Cruzbike V and S series

Still... it would have been nice to have a
longer pad option.
It’s good to know the Standard Ventisit is too short for your setting at 5’10” on the S40. Cruzbike has a Large option when ordering, but it says for “6’ or more.” I’m formerly 5’10” and use the large Thor on my V20 and S40. It would be nice to try out different sizes before commitment.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Coming soon (to your wallet’s dismay): The adjustable ventisit pad. The ultimate in adjustability.

@Al_D Can you post pictures?

Al_D

OK, OK... I guess I exaggerated... not 3 inches too short, actually 2 inches too short form my set-up.

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_153016880.jpg
    PXL_20220620_153016880.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220620_153035518.jpg
    PXL_20220620_153035518.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
Try adjusting the seat-back closer in (by 3”.) That’ll probably raise your shoulders some, but it may give you the fit you want. Like this guy:

Attachments

• BF2705DE-ACDB-419F-BFE1-193035CEBEB7.jpeg
    BF2705DE-ACDB-419F-BFE1-193035CEBEB7.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 38

mortjr

It’s good to know the Standard Ventisit is too short for your setting at 5’10” on the S40. Cruzbike has a Large option when ordering, but it says for “6’ or more.” I’m formerly 5’10” and use the large Thor on my V20 and S40. It would be nice to try out different sizes before commitment.
I got the long one and it fits pretty good.

mortjr

One 20 mile ride on the new seat. Felt good on the shoulders but felt like my butt was hanging off. Gonna take some getting used to. Miss that sliding butt plate on the stock seat.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
One 20 mile ride on the new seat. Felt good on the shoulders but felt like my butt was hanging off. Gonna take some getting used to. Miss that sliding butt plate on the stock seat.
Considering the bottom tabs for attaching the seat are still the same, can the old sliding bottom plate be bolted on top new seat to extend it at the base?, .. Just thinking ..

Al_D

I asked Maria about mounting the the butt plate to the new seat already. She said that she thought
Robert had been working on a solution to this.
At 20 degrees, the seat bottom is supportive... but, at 40 degrees, the new seat bottom is just a bit too short.
If Robert doesn't have a fix for it... I think I will look for some nylon spacers/washers and longer bolts to attach it to the new seat.

Al_D

To anyone who purchases a new adjustable cf seat for their S40...
I noticed a slight gap at the bottom end that did not completely conform to the
hydroformed frame ( this is a new S40).
Here is a quick fix to eliminate the gap and protect the cf from undue tension/wear.
I found it a Lowe's and it is just thick enough to fill the gap... and it did not require new
hardware.

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_144446028.jpg
    PXL_20220621_144446028.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I asked Maria about mounting the the butt plate to the new seat already. She said that she thought
Robert had been working on a solution to this.
At 20 degrees, the seat bottom is supportive... but, at 40 degrees, the new seat bottom is just a bit too short.
If Robert doesn't have a fix for it... I think I will look for some nylon spacers/washers and longer bolts to attach it to the new seat.
I used the stock extension plate on BRAG just to see what is would do for a bit extra extension for those of us with the large backsides. It isn't intended or meant to be used in that was and wasn't considered as a functional piece tot he design of the new seat. It was a spur of the moment experiment.

It isn't pretty and it isn't a "fit" given the curvature of the new seat - these are completely different shapes with different applications - but for me it added a small bit of added support on the S40 that I was riding that week. I only rode it that way for a few days after riding it without the first two days and wanted to just compare.

I would say it is worth trying only if you want to experiment or really really need some added "butt area" there.

I cannot say what the long term impacts are tot he smaller piece as far as durability goes, but I simply bolted it straight on. Again it isn't a pretty liking arrangement that way but YMMV.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Considering the bottom tabs for attaching the seat are still the same, can the old sliding bottom plate be bolted on top new seat to extend it at the base?, .. Just thinking ..
I did this for a few days on BRAG and liked it, but I also had been riding it without it for months before.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I used the stock extension plate on BRAG just to see what is would do for a bit extra extension for those of us with the large backsides.

but for me it added a small bit of added support.

I cannot say what the long term impacts are tot he smaller piece as far as durability goes, but I simply bolted it straight on.
Hi @Robert Holler with the adjustable seat did the extension fit above or below the seat adjustable seat pan?

M00se

I was wondering if the new seat would help with the S40 recumbutt issue I've been having this year. I had no problems at all last season when the seat pad was new but now that it has squashed down I have butt issues after about 40 miles. I also discovered that riding in regular bike shorts, while nice, gave me issues where the chamois ended. Suggestions?

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I love my Adjustable CF seat on my V20c, but in order to make an adjustment to the Perez clamp (the clamp inside the hydroform tube that holds the "old" headrest struts) you have to remove all four M6 bolts and the upper half of the backrest. Here is a solution: drill a half-inch hole in the center-line of the upper backrest exactly 11 inches from the bottom edge. Now you can just loosen those M6 bolts and slide the backrest up or down to access the two Perez clamp bolts (see photos). This is a nice time-saver if you are still using the strong struts for mounting gear in the rear. The CF used is not brittle and did not flake apart from drilling. I will do this modification for the seats we still have in stock. If you already bought one, you can do this pretty easily with a hand-held electric drill.
CB ACFS hole 2.JPG

CB ACFS hole 1.JPG

Al_D

OK, OK... I guess I exaggerated... not 3 inches too short, actually 2 inches too short form my set-up.
Thanks to CB for sending me a longer Ventisit in exchange for the short one that came with the seat.
Super Customer Service...
Though... I would still like to hear that a lower seat extension (for the S40 application of the new seat)
is in the works.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
But don't they need to be adjusted to the rider before you know where to drill?
You could certainly drill two holes exactly where you need them and avoid having to loosen the M6 bolts. My technique is getting access to both bolts via one hole by sliding the upper section. Since I don't need to access this very frequently, this technique seems best for me.

I was wondering if the new seat would help with the S40 recumbutt issue I've been having this year. I had no problems at all last season when the seat pad was new but now that it has squashed down I have butt issues after about 40 miles. I also discovered that riding in regular bike shorts, while nice, gave me issues where the chamois ended. Suggestions?
I doubt this seat will improve recumbutt.

As for shorts, I prefer ones without chamois, like https://www.boure.com/recumbent.html
I often ride with tights meant for running and such.

Al_D

Update on the CF Adjustable Seat...
CB was very responsive (I got emails from Maria, Robert, and Morgan!!) with helpful suggestions.
I found that using several layers of 3M double sticky foam tape to build up the lower segment of the seat
to match the upper segment's leading edge, and then covering over this with soft velcro... problem solved.
I do have some closed cell foam to use should that solution fail in the future.
As far as the lower end of the seat, though... on the S40, altho' it isn't terrible, I still feel like I am sliding off
the lower end of the seat. I believe that (like the stock seat) a lower extension option would make this seat
more supportive... and live up to the "Adjustable" descriptor.
I hope one is in the works.