New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest for the Cruzbike V and S series

Rogerreece

In reading all the posts in this thread I haven't seen anyone saying this $700 option is a game changer for them. Is it worth it, vs the stock V20 seat? It's new, so I was going to wait until more reviews come in. But last week I ordered one and it shipped today. Once I get some miles on it I plan to review it on this thread. But is anyone who has installed on a V20 or S40 enthusiastic about the riding experience with this new seat?

cruzKurt

First off, I was not displeased with the stock seat. I have ridden a few hundred miles on my adjustable seat. I am pretty long in the torso so I have size maxed out. It is comfortable and I don't notice any issues at all on 1.5 hour rides. Not a game changer for me though. I have been considering trying to sell mine and go back to original.

It was frustrating trying to get my old headrest mount secure so I could use my tail light and water bottle holders. But, I was forewarned as Robert mentioned that in his install video.IMG_0417.jpeg

Last edited:

Al_D

Well... I sold the new seat to a V20 rider.
I found that the lack of bottom support caused me to frequently reposition my butt upwards, and backwards, to avoid the feeling of
sliding off the lower edge of the new seat.
This repeated repositioning caused me to rub my back against the bottom edge of the new
seat where it overlaid on the lower section.
Using closed cell foam padding softened the edge, but only for a little while.
After 20 miles, even the padded edge caused a hot spot on my lower back (thoracolumbar junction).
Maybe a "new" lower seat extension would solve this???
I decided to stick with the stock seat with it's bottom extension for the time being.
All the above: IMHO.

Rogerreece

When I ordered my adjustable seat, I was given these options: short, medium, long. I received the adjustable seat for my V20 yesterday, and the Long version of the pad covers the entire seat even when you stretch it as long as it goes.

Last edited:

Rogerreece

This is my "New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest" review - for the V20.

I received it and installed it on my V20 yesterday. Robert's video was really helpful, and both the seat and the head rest were easy to install. I have to say that I thought long and hard before I ordered this $700 seat. I was not unhappy with the stock V20 seat, but I was intrigued by this statement in the marketing description of the seat: "The shoulder "kick" curve positions the rider's shoulders forward for superior comfort and excellent line of sight. This really is a game changer."

I had previously had a bad experience with an ergonomic seat for another bike that I ordered from Poland. I have a long torso and I ordered the extra large version of the seat. The lumbar lump was in the wrong place and so extreme that it was painful after just a short ride. Even worse, it thrust my shoulders up and forward and it was really uncomfortable. I tried to fix it with self-adhesive closed cell foam, but I never got it right.

So the description of this adjustable seat, saying that it positions the rider's shoulders forward made me nervous. But the fact that it's adjustable seemed like the big plus.

So back to the review. After I installed the seat and the Ventisit pad, I sat on it, and it felt great. It pushed my shoulders up too much, so I extended it as about 1 inch beyond the end point. If you extend it too far, it won't sit right on the frame, but you can get an extra inch which is just what I needed. It felt great. One of the reason I have never been unhappy with Cruzbike seats is that they narrow out at the top, so your shoulder blades are not directly on the seat. So the sore shoulder blades I would get from the seat I mentioned above, and with some other recumbent seats, never happens with a Cruzbike seat. Still I felt like with the right seat my shoulders could feel comfortably supported. That's what this new adjustable seat does for me. As I sat in the seat, I started getting really excited.

We have all experienced game changers, large and small. Switching from diamond frame bikes to recumbents was a game changer for me. Them moving from a recumbent "stick bike" to the Cruzbike FWD, MBB design was also a game changer. So I was looking for a minor game changer in this seat since it passed my big test - of just being flat-out comfortable and supportive.

Then I installed the headrest. What a great headrest! I started out with the stock V20 headrest, and I could never get it dialed in the way I wanted it. So I bought the "suspension adjustable headrest" a while back. It was better, but when I wanted to make a minor adjustment, like moving it back, I had to loosen the perez clamp and pull out the tubes. But the tubes curve upwards, so I couldn't just move the headrest back - it would go up and back, which made it really difficult to make micro-adjustments. This new adjustable headrest is simple, but easy to adjust incrementally in any direction. I love it. The headrest itself is a game changer for me. I hope they will sell a version of it without the seat - I have several bikes I would like to install one on.

So today, I spent 5 hours riding my V20, and making tweaks to the seat and headrest. It didn't take me long to get the seat perfect. The headrest took a lot of tweaks to get it right, but I got it all right and rode another 20 miles to make sure it really was right. I may make a few more minor headrest seats down the road, but it's pretty perfect right where it is.

My verdict is this: This seat is a game-changer for me. I really love it. I would never go back to the stock V20 seat. Every body is different, and everyone has their preferences, so there is no question that my review is subjective. But for me, with my long torso, and my physical back and shoulder problems, the seat is really important, and I have always felt hard to fit. I can't buy a suit off the rack without major tailoring, and I need a bike seat that adjusts to me. THIS IS IT! I love this seat and headrest!

So my next challenge is installing another new Cruzbike adjustable carbon fiber seat on one of my S40s. I bought the used seat that AL_D sold (see his post above), and I'm hoping I don't have the same sliding butt problem he had, but I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I'll post my review for the S40 version in a few days.

Last edited:

Rogerreece

This is my "New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest" review - for the S40.

While I would give this seat two thumbs up for the V20, I have to say the S40 version is not ready for prime time. I bought this seat used from Al_D who discussed the problems in several posts within this thread. The main problem is the lack of butt support. At a 20 degree angle on the V20, your weight is more evenly distributed across the seat. At a 40 degree angle on the S40, your weight slides down the seat, and there just isn't enough seat surface down their to support your butt. The result is an uncomfortable ride where you feel like you're sliding off the seat. At least, that was my experience after installing it.

Al_D has noted that the butt extender plate that is included with the stock S40 seat would be the perfect solution if only it would fit right. Although the mounting holes are in the right place, this bottom plate is formed to fit onto the stock S40 seat, and when you install it on the new adjustable seat, there is a 3/4" gap between the edge of the plate and where it meets the seat, which extends horizontally across the seat. This ridge would not work, but by tightening down the mounting screws, you can bend the extender butt plate down to meet the seat (if you dare). Will this cause the carbon fiber extender plate to crack? Mine hasn't so far. I tightened it all the way down. There is still a 1/4" gap across the seat, but the Ventisit pad makes it so I can barely feel that ridge. It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me more is that a $700 seat is being sold specifically for the S40, when it doesn't really work for the S40 without a but plate, which is not included. There may be some people who are riding their S40s with the stock seat, without the butt plate. If you are one of these people, the new adjustable seat will be perfect for you. But I definitely need the plate, and while the stock butt plate doesn't fit right, it's working for me.

Initially I adjusted the seat to the same over-extended length as my new V20 seat. For some reason, it felt to high in my shoulders, so I ended up adjusting it 1 mounting hole shorter than the V20 setting. I mentioned in my review of the V20 version that I really like this seat's shoulder support. I wondered how it would be in the more upright S40. I bought my S40 first, and later bought my V20. When riding my S40, I never used the headrest or felt I needed one. The stock headrest was there, but I never adjusted it so I could rest my head on it. When I climbed into my V20 I realized the the more reclined angle made a headrest a necessity. So when I started riding the S40 with the new adjustable seat, I realized that now that my shoulders were actually supported by the seat, the headrest made a lot of sense. So with this new seat, the top of my torso leans back further, and the seat feels more reclined than my original S40 seat. Maybe it's because I was sitting in it wrong, but my torso is so long, that the stock S40 seat (and V20 seat) miss my shoulders altogether. They never touch the seat. Now on both bikes, my shoulders are supported, and it feels good. On the S40, it is changing my riding posture (for the better).

The large Ventisit pad works well with the adjustable seat on my V20, but it is about 2" short on the S40 due to the extended length of the butt plate. So, in my opinion, not only should Cruzbike design and include with the S40 version of this seat, a butt plate that fits the seat, and an option for an XL size Ventisit pad that is 2-3 inches longer than the Large pad. I am making the large pad work, but it would be nice to have another inch at the bottom and top of the seat.

The headrest that comes with the new adjustable seat is the best one I've ever used, and so it was easy to get it perfect. After getting everything dialed in I rode another 25 miles, and I'm really happy with the fit and the comfort. Another game-changer. I have 2 S40s so I have to decide whether to spend another $700 for another adjustable seat. If anyone is unhappy with your new adjustable carbon fiber seat and wants to sell it, let me know.

My bottom line is, this is a great seat for the S40. I don't think it is ready for prime time until the butt plate and long Ventisit pad options can be included, but I have made it work for me, and I will be getting one for other S40 as well.

cruzKurt

I decided to go back to the stock seat on my v20. There are a few reasons and I will list below. I have never been disappointed with the stock seat. I can ride for hours in the new seat with no issues, so they did it right. Just not a priority for me at the moment.

1. I had rather spend my money on some other enhancement like etap.

2. The new seat cushion is quite a bit thicker than stock cushion, maybe due to my old one being worn out. This gives the seat a bit of a cushy feel. When going over bumps the effects are way more pronounced (bouncing off seat, etc), also I notice a little swishy motion side to side sometimes and I assume it is due to the thickness of the pad. New seat also places me either higher or further back, maybe both. I feel like I am more of in a cockpit with the stock seat.

3. The new seat interferes with the stock headrest mount, I have my water bottles & taillight on the stock headrest. Was not interested in engineering another solution for water and lights, I am super happy with the headrest cage mount that Cruzbike sells.

As I finish writing this, I realize I just like the look and feel of the stock seat. Maybe it is just a traditional look I like. Maybe the simplicity. It just feels right.

zzlirp

This is my "New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest" review - for the S40.

While I would give this seat two thumbs up for the V20, I have to say the S40 version is not ready for prime time. I bought this seat used from Al_D who discussed the problems in several posts within this thread. The main problem is the lack of butt support. At a 20 degree angle on the V20, your weight is more evenly distributed across the seat. At a 40 degree angle on the S40, your weight slides down the seat, and there just isn't enough seat surface down their to support your butt. The result is an uncomfortable ride where you feel like you're sliding off the seat. At least, that was my experience after installing it.

Al_D has noted that the butt extender plate that is included with the stock S40 seat would be the perfect solution if only it would fit right. Although the mounting holes are in the right place, this bottom plate is formed to fit onto the stock S40 seat, and when you install it on the new adjustable seat, there is a 3/4" gap between the edge of the plate and where it meets the seat, which extends horizontally across the seat. This ridge would not work, but by tightening down the mounting screws, you can bend the extender butt plate down to meet the seat (if you dare). Will this cause the carbon fiber extender plate to crack? Mine hasn't so far. I tightened it all the way down. There is still a 1/4" gap across the seat, but the Ventisit pad makes it so I can barely feel that ridge. It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me more is that a $700 seat is being sold specifically for the S40, when it doesn't really work for the S40 without a but plate, which is not included. There may be some people who are riding their S40s with the stock seat, without the butt plate. If you are one of these people, the new adjustable seat will be perfect for you. But I definitely need the plate, and while the stock butt plate doesn't fit right, it's working for me.

Initially I adjusted the seat to the same over-extended length as my new V20 seat. For some reason, it felt to high in my shoulders, so I ended up adjusting it 1 mounting hole shorter than the V20 setting. I mentioned in my review of the V20 version that I really like this seat's shoulder support. I wondered how it would be in the more upright S40. I bought my S40 first, and later bought my V20. When riding my S40, I never used the headrest or felt I needed one. The stock headrest was there, but I never adjusted it so I could rest my head on it. When I climbed into my V20 I realized the the more reclined angle made a headrest a necessity. So when I started riding the S40 with the new adjustable seat, I realized that now that my shoulders were actually supported by the seat, the headrest made a lot of sense. So with this new seat, the top of my torso leans back further, and the seat feels more reclined than my original S40 seat. Maybe it's because I was sitting in it wrong, but my torso is so long, that the stock S40 seat (and V20 seat) miss my shoulders altogether. They never touch the seat. Now on both bikes, my shoulders are supported, and it feels good. On the S40, it is changing my riding posture (for the better).

The large Ventisit pad works well with the adjustable seat on my V20, but it is about 2" short on the S40 due to the extended length of the butt plate. So, in my opinion, not only should Cruzbike design and include with the S40 version of this seat, a butt plate that fits the seat, and an option for an XL size Ventisit pad that is 2-3 inches longer than the Large pad. I am making the large pad work, but it would be nice to have another inch at the bottom and top of the seat.

The headrest that comes with the new adjustable seat is the best one I've ever used, and so it was easy to get it perfect. After getting everything dialed in I rode another 25 miles, and I'm really happy with the fit and the comfort. Another game-changer. I have 2 S40s so I have to decide whether to spend another $700 for another adjustable seat. If anyone is unhappy with your new adjustable carbon fiber seat and wants to sell it, let me know.

My bottom line is, this is a great seat for the S40. I don't think it is ready for prime time until the butt plate and long Ventisit pad options can be included, but I have made it work for me, and I will be getting one for other S40 as well.
Totally agree - I really was looking forward to the new seat and it does solve my shoulder and neck problems (due to cervical spine damage), but I slide off the seat too much - trying to find a solution via messing with the stock extension (which is a stop-gap measure), cutting a custom piece of foam for support, or wearing sticky shorts - but I am dissaponited that I spent over $700 for something that is really designed for the V20, not the S40.

rfneep

Totally agree - I really was looking forward to the new seat and it does solve my shoulder and neck problems (due to cervical spine damage), but I slide off the seat too much - trying to find a solution via messing with the stock extension (which is a stop-gap measure), cutting a custom piece of foam for support, or wearing sticky shorts - but I am dissaponited that I spent over $700 for something that is really designed for the V20, not the S40.
I have somewhat of the same feelings. However, I am using the new seat on an S30. It still has the butt-sliding problem as the S40 but maybe not quite as much. I am using an S40 seat extender with a dual foam cushion (Volae). The transition from the seat to the extender is not noticeable with the foam but is with the Ventisit. The extender had to be pushed very much forward to avoid a large gap between the two pieces, As such, the seat pan actually feels a little too long. The shoulder return is nicer than the stock seat and a little less than you get with a Volae or Thor seat. The adjustability is nice and allows fine tuning of the fit to your body.

The main advantages I see here is that the new adjustable seat is about as light a seat as you can expect on these bikes outside the stock seat itself, and doesn't require homemade mounts. This does save some considerable weight compared to the other 3rd party seats. ( incidentally, if the rear U-clamp that secures the new seat to the frame were readily available, it would make mounting a 3rd party seat very easy)

For the price, however, I would have expected a better package if it were really meant for the S40/S30.

Finally, one funny thing I've noticed is that the new seat actually gives a higher recline angle - about 30 degrees - than a tightly mounted Volae - about 27 degrees. That's enough to be noticed and I have a sense I produce a little more power with the new seat, presumably at the expense of a bit more drag. Interesting. Overall, though, I am still on the fence about whether to keep it or go back to a Volae or Thor. We'll see after more miles...

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
FWIW, the new seat (with ventisit pad) and headrest worked well for me on my S30 on my coast-to-coast tour (50+ biking days, 4000+ miles).
It'll be staying on my S30.
This replaces a Thor seat that I had on it previously.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
First off, I was not displeased with the stock seat. I have ridden a few hundred miles on my adjustable seat. I am pretty long in the torso so I have size maxed out. It is comfortable and I don't notice any issues at all on 1.5 hour rides. Not a game changer for me though. I have been considering trying to sell mine and go back to original.

It was frustrating trying to get my old headrest mount secure so I could use my tail light and water bottle holders. But, I was forewarned as Robert mentioned that in his install video.View attachment 13473

I use my old headrest thingie upside down. That provides a nice strong base for my behind-my-head bag, which also has the bottle-holders.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I have the New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest and was wondering if anyone else has problems with the seat constantly creaking? I have all of the bolts properly tightened but every time I get on/off the bike or move from side to side, it sounds like a pond full of frogs croaking. What can I do to quiet the carbon fiber down? TIA

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I have the New Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat and Headrest and was wondering if anyone else has problems with the seat constantly creaking? I have all of the bolts properly tightened but every time I get on/off the bike or move from side to side, it sounds like a pond full of frogs croaking. What can I do to quiet the carbon fiber down? TIA
I may have resolved my problem. I put electrical tape on the bottom of the top half of the seat where it contacts the bottom half and also added some rubber gasket where the top of the seat contacts the frame. So far so good.

I may have resolved my problem. I put electrical tape on the bottom of the top half of the seat where it contacts the bottom half and also added some rubber gasket where the top of the seat contacts the frame. So far so good.
Another thing that may help. I used carbon fiber paste during assembly OB my V20c. It seems to help pieces fit tighter without worrying about over tightening the bolts.

FWIW, the new seat (with ventisit pad) and headrest worked well for me on my S30 on my coast-to-coast tour (50+ biking days, 4000+ miles).
It'll be staying on my S30.
This replaces a Thor seat that I had on it previously.
I just purchased the adjustable seat from Cruzbike for my S30. I was reviewing the forum for comments about the seat. I am glad you like it on your S30.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Any luck with more or less permanently curing the creaking and popping of the adj carbon seat with the tape and rubber gasket? Did you try the carbon fiber paste Mathew suggested?
The benefits of that seat in terms of better visibility and head and neck comfort are terrific and too good to give up. I hope you've found the solution.
Now I'm wondering if the strip of velcro on the frame that helped hold the old seat stable might be contributing to the problem.
Also, FWIW, I notice similar noise on my Q45, although not nearly as bad (the Q has adjustable 2-piece resin seat).

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Any luck with more or less permanently curing the creaking and popping of the adj carbon seat with the tape and rubber gasket? Did you try the carbon fiber paste Mathew suggested?
The benefits of that seat in terms of better visibility and head and neck comfort are terrific and too good to give up. I hope you've found the solution.
Now I'm wondering if the strip of velcro on the frame that helped hold the old seat stable might be contributing to the problem.
Also, FWIW, I notice similar noise on my Q45, although not nearly as bad (the Q has adjustable 2-piece resin seat).
Now more issues… electrical tape works great. I did not try the carbon fiber paste.