New build: S40 2020

kling

Dear all,

During the Cruzbike warehouse clearance, I bought a 2020 green S40 frame.

Coming from the first batch of the original Silvio, it is a huge generational jump to carbon fibre seat, disc brakes, 1x12 with 520% range, oversize boom and a headrest. Gets the power to the ground so smoothly.

Thanks for everyone that previously contributed with their builds, was most useful for choosing parts.

regards
Kendrick

specifics:
SRAM Eagle GX Groupset 10-52T 170mm cranks
WolfTooth Oval Chainring 42 tooth
Prime BlackEdition 28 Carbon Disc Wheelset
Schwalbe Pro One Evo Folding Tyre 28c
Prime XDR Freehub
TRP Spyre Caliper Post Mount
Soma Gator Handlebar

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 186

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
That thing looks so mean! My green 2020 S40 frame is still waiting for the bits to arrive. I could not find Sram gears or hub anywhere. You must have nabbed the last ones. Now you have stolen the attention of the vicarious builders!

jond

Zen MBB Master
I still can’t get my head around dinner plate clusters. 10 -52 seems nuts salted. What would I know on my ancient arc of front mech complex. ?

looks fantastic and would shoot up hills like the billy o.

cool. Enjoy.

kling

That thing looks so mean! My green 2020 S40 frame is still waiting for the bits to arrive. I could not find Sram gears or hub anywhere. You must have nabbed the last ones. Now you have stolen the attention of the vicarious builders!
Hi Bladderhead,
Sorry to hear that your Silvio was stolen. I ordered the Eagle GX group set from Amazon.com.au - hope you can get your S40 2020 built up and on the road soon.

Regards
Kendrick

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi Cpml123,
The shifting is really smooth. Nicer than on my similarly Eagle GX T50. I put it down to better cables and a professional LBS install.
Nice!
I did wonder about how to use the 12 speed Eagle setup on S40 because it has road handlebar. I like how you set it up the thumb shifter along with road brake lever.

kling

Nice!
I did wonder about how to use the 12 speed Eagle setup on S40 because it has road handlebar. I like how you set it up the thumb shifter along with road brake lever.

Thanks. The LBS (Glen Parker Cycles) deserves credit for lining the thumb shifters. The Soma Gator handlebar has MTB diameter drops. I haven’t tried bar end shifters.

Road brifters are possible (wireless)- as per Greg S. https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/daydreaming-of-upgrades.11514/page-2#post-163526

Will keep in mind as upgrade down the track when bank balance or the Australia:US currency exchange rate improves :)

Cheers
Kendrick

jond

Zen MBB Master
@kling where in Australia do you reside. ?

edit ah I see Perth Western Australia . Home almost of jt.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Say hello for me Kendrick please.

See he did his low carbon owner built home. See he has his fingers in a few pies as always. Pop up homes etc.

I reckon he will approve of the s40 light weight do all frame.

tell him I still have his signed vendetta in pride of place. That’s where it will stay.

I visited him years back he picked me up from the airport and kindly fed me helping me to reassemble my v2. What a good kind soul he is.

Getting him to sign my frame was awesome. Proud and honoured to have met him.

Shame I’ll likely never meet the Parker family.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hi JonD,

Yes indeed. I am due to bring it to JT so he can have a test ride :)

Regards
Kendrick

hi Kendrick.

what did John think of the latest silvio.

what do you think compared to your original.

will you keep your original.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I still can’t get my head around dinner plate clusters. 10 -52 seems nuts salted. What would I know on my ancient arc of front mech complex. ?

looks fantastic and would shoot up hills like the billy o.

cool. Enjoy.
52 is overkill surely? Couldn't you get off and walk faster? Probably good if you were touring with lots of weird bags and a tent.

That 10t must be something for sure

Never tried a 52t so sorry for my derogatory statement

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I believe 42/52 will be great climbing the 10-12% hills around here. Equivalent to my double with 34/40. If I were to convert my 2017 S40 to Eagle GX 12 speed, I would get 10/52.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The problem for a Cruzbike with a big dinner plate is front wheel spin. The only way I can climb is by going slow and keeping my watts low. On the Silvio I mastered the wheel spin and the low speed balance. The new one has a bigger dinner plate and smaller wheels. I wonder how much difference this will make.
DavidCH said:
That 10t must be something for sure
Rarely do I get the opportunity to get up to stupid mph and overtake cars. I do not want to spin out.

kling

Tried out the 42x52t combination on a ~12% hill, it worked very well especially the 16% incline section where I previously had front wheel slip on the Silvio 1.0 (53/39 x 12-25 cassette, 25mm 700c tyres).