New build: S40 2020

kling

hi Kendrick.

what did John think of the latest silvio.

what do you think compared to your original.

will you keep your original.

Hi Jon,
Sorry haven't met up with JT yet. We will hopefully be out of lockdown next week.

in comparison to original- I like the 1x12 drivetrain simplicity (no dropped chain), and disc brakes (for wet weather riding). Still not sure about the headrest.

I will probably keep the original Silvio -it's still a great bike (and a classic).
Not sure if will keep T50- now that I have the S40 with disc brakes and no carbon in the rear triangle, I can probably use it to tow the child trailer. But wouldn't want to take the S40 on the ferry to Rottnest Island... salt spray... first world problem.

Kendrick

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jon,
Sorry haven't met up with JT yet. We will hopefully be out of lockdown next week.

in comparison to original- I like the 1x12 drivetrain simplicity (no dropped chain), and disc brakes (for wet weather riding). Still not sure about the headrest.

I will probably keep the original Silvio -it's still a great bike (and a classic).
Not sure if will keep T50- now that I have the S40 with disc brakes and no carbon in the rear triangle, I can probably use it to tow the child trailer. But wouldn't want to take the S40 on the ferry to Rottnest Island... salt spray... first world problem.

Kendrick
Hi Kendrick,
If I'am not mistaken, I think your silvio was the first ever cruzbike I ever set my eyes on via youtube, about 10 years ago!

John T. was explaining about the design somewhere in Perth , birds chirping and all. I must have watched that video a thousand times! Absolute nostalgia! :):)

Last edited:

kling

Hi Kendrick,
If I'am not mistaken, I think your silvio was the first ever cruzbike I ever set my eyes on via youtube, about 10 years ago!

John T. was explaining about the design somewhere in Perth , birds chirping and all. I must have watched that video a thousand times! Absolute nostalgia! :):)

Hi Andrew,
I’m glad you managed to discover the video over in Kenya and that it led to your own dedicated journey of building your own MBB recumbent (that is amazing in itself). As for the video, I was the camera operator and was kinda surprised at the time that we didn’t redo it (helicopter noise etc). Adds to the nostalgia now.

Happy cycling on your S40!

Kendrick

jond

Zen MBB Master
Kendrick I reckon I have watched a few of your vids then. Did you also film the early sofrider vids in the storage yard. Great memories.

Lol Kendrick that chopper was onto you both.

Two strange bike things down by the water with one man bending over in tights whilst being filmed was much to much for the river locals.

don’t forget to post what jt thinks of the s40 ride as it performs today.

M00se

very interested in trying the 42x52t combination. What all would I have to change on my stock S40 to achieve this?

M00se

At the risk of sounding really stupid, I need the rear cassette, new shifter, new rear derailleur. Do I need a new chain and front crankset too?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
At the risk of sounding really stupid, I need the rear cassette, new shifter, new rear derailleur. Do I need a new chain and front crankset too?
@kling will know the complete list. My understanding is that you will also need the XD or XDR free hub to fit the 12 speed cassette and yes a new 12 speed chain. I don't know if you need to change front ring if yours is 1x already.

I am just dreaming of changing mine one day... :)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
@M00se - I do not know what gears you have at the moment. If you have XX1 then your hub is okay. If you have Shimano then you need to get a new XDR driver body from the people who manufactured your hub. If you can find one. You need a Sram 12sp chain. 11sp will not work. I think some people are using KMC chain. I am not sure. Everybody will tell you that you need a 12sp chainwheel. This will probably not fit your current cranks. I have discovered that a 12sp chain works with a 11sp ring that was designed for the original XX1. No problem with chain retention. The chain or ring might wear out really quickly. I would like the chance to find out.

The XD and XDR driver bodies are very similar. The cog fits either one. I think that the XDR is meant for road wheels. XX1 was originally meant for mountain wheels. I remember the bloke who built the wheels for my Silvio said he had problems with the dish. He said it might not be centred in the forks. He told me to try it and take it back to him. I think the XDR was invented to solve the dish problem. Either sort will work, but your wheel-builder might moan.

M00se

Thanks for the info. Right now it is set up as a 1x11 with Sram components. Just going to need something to get me up those 12-16% grades we have in the area. I am open to other ideas but the 1x12 sounded like it would do the job. I also read that the 1x12 gears out the same as a 2x11. Maybe that would be an option. Stuff is so hard to find right now. Any more ideas out there?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi Moose,
I agree with cpml123 & bladderhead. (I built from frameset, not upgraded from stock)

"The XDR standard is nearly identical to XD but 1.8mm wider" (see https://www.xddriverbody.com)

Other option to get more range on 1x11 would be third party, Helix ie https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/all-cassettes/products/helix-r-11-speed-cassette
regards
Kendrick
@kling Kendrick - it seem to indicate that if I currently have 1x11 (say NX 11 speed), I can get a XD driver and their 9x46 cassette to get a greater range without changing other stuff, as opposed to go for 12 speed Eagle which requires changing hub, cassette, chain, RD, and shifter. That seems like a good deal. :)

M00se

Ok I may have found a Sram Eagle GX 1x12 groupset GS-GX-1-B2. My only concern is that the crankset is a 32T not the 42T. With the interchangeability of Sram parts, with I be able to use my Sram Apex 1 GXP crankset with the 1x12 groupset? If so, what length chain will I need?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have a 11sp 5bolt chainring. I have Shimano chain with Sram link, so a Sram chain should work. Get a chainring from Garbaruk or Raceface. There are probably loads of others out there.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
On the derailleur there are three really inaccessible screws. The usual high and low limit screws and one they call the B screw. When you are in the second-biggest cog the chain tensioner will rub against the biggest cog. This might happen in the third-biggest cog. Screw the B screw in and try it again. If the B screw is fully in and it still happens then your chain is too long. I had the original XX1 on the Silvio and I have Shimano 12sp on the S40 and in both cases I had to take out a lot more links than what the instructions said. Keep taking links out until the tensioner is free. In the biggest cog the tensioner will be pulled out almost as far as it will go. Time-consuming faff, but you only need to do it once.

kling

Hi Jon,
Finally managed to meet up with JT. He remembers your visit to Perth and says hi.

Generally approved S40 (after all, the shape and triangle/BB attachments are fundamentally unchanged). He did seem to like the ability to use 1x12 and the underseat rack.

He wasn’t planning on trying out the S40 but as he wanted to try the ride in my electric car, ended up walking 2km back to my home. Eventually couldn’t resist testing if the change to the head tube angle had altered the ability to ride without hands on bars.

Concluded it is less able to be ridden without hands with the more upright head tube but the bike responds faster to input otherwise. I did mention CC Viscoset in the 2021 model…

Kendrick

Say hello for me Kendrick please.

See he did his low carbon owner built home. See he has his fingers in a few pies as always. Pop up homes etc.

I reckon he will approve of the s40 light weight do all frame.

tell him I still have his signed vendetta in pride of place. That’s where it will stay.

I visited him years back he picked me up from the airport and kindly fed me helping me to reassemble my v2. What a good kind soul he is.

Getting him to sign my frame was awesome. Proud and honoured to have met him.

Shame I’ll likely never meet the Parker family.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jon,
Finally managed to meet up with JT. He remembers your visit to Perth and says hi.

Generally approved S40 (after all, the shape and triangle/BB attachments are fundamentally unchanged). He did seem to like the ability to use 1x12 and the underseat rack.

He wasn’t planning on trying out the S40 but as he wanted to try the ride in my electric car, ended up walking 2km back to my home. Eventually couldn’t resist testing if the change to the head tube angle had altered the ability to ride without hands on bars.

Concluded it is less able to be ridden without hands with the more upright head tube but the bike responds faster to input otherwise. I did mention CC Viscoset in the 2021 model…

Kendrick

that’s great Kendrick. How are you enjoying the s40.

M00se

Well I bought the sram eagle 10-52 cassette group set for my new s40. I took it all to my bike shop since I was missing some of my tools. The head mechanic wasn’t able to install the 10-52 cassette stating the 10 was too small and not compatible. I ended up with a dram eagle gx 11-50. Hoping this will work out for my hills. I admit to some confusion on the 10-52 not fitting. I will let you know when I have a chance to go hit some hills.