New Vendetta V20

Charles is happy.

(Unweighting your feet from the pedals without unclipping is just as good, but takes practice)

Cheers,
Charles

Charles,

On this evening's ride I tried a modified version of this. I didn't use clipless pedals yet or remove my feet. Instead I just made a point of relaxing my feet on the pedals whenever I coasted or wanted to calm my body on the bike.

It's a beautiful evening here and so I hopped on the bike and did my mini loop again in the reverse direction. Lots of very young children learning to ride on the the loop. Trikes, little bikes, Big Wheels and me. I felt right at home. :)

Spent most of the loop in a reclined position. I need to check my chain. It's skipping under stress like it has a stiff link. Suspect it may be the qwik link. The skips though made great practice at dealing with the unexpected without panicking as did the small children. Managed to stay reclined whenever it happened. Another successful acclimation ride. :cool:

And for Charles. image.jpg

Your V20 will have it's own ideas about that :cool:
I expect she'll be faster. But I am pretty good at not trying to ride harder. It's another facet of the skill set that is letting me ride reclined early on.

I'm shooting for that sweet spot where having a more efficient bike gets me farther with the same level of overall effort. Obviously there are tempo differences in how this bike rides that are part of the acclimation vs RWD bents. But I am trying to acclimate to the V20 and resume my training regimen at an appropriate level. Big deal with my potential for going hypoglycemic.

Got up early this morning and put on the frame pack and a water bottle cage. Checked the chain. Then before the rain, I took Sigr-D down to the Sammamish River trail. Put in 12 miles riding from Redmond to Woodinville and back in just under an hour. Nothing earth shattering but some actual mileage.

Thoughts:

1. Mostly focused on staying in my half of the trail while reclined. Worked well though certainly not the straightest line I've ever ridden.

2. I also worked on shifting both derailleurs. My mini loop doesn't allow for that.

3. Had most difficulty relaxing my arms. Handlebar tape will help as will experience.

4. At one point I realized my body was only partially relaxed. Thought about luge riders and made a conscious effort to melt into the seat. The stability improved.

5. I have adequate clearance from the cabling, but the stupid RD cable is still a touch obstructing. Nothing awful, just grazes my right quad. Any routing suggestions? Think this might be a difference between DF and FWD MBB issue. DF routing doesn't involve knee clearance.

Having a blast in case it's not obvious. image.jpg

Jeremy S

Dude
I have adequate clearance from the cabling, but the stupid RD cable is still a touch obstructing. Nothing awful, just grazes my right quad. Any routing suggestions?
Yes: going by your photo a page back, most of your cables are hanging out on the right side. Try routing all your cables through the clamp where the boom attaches to the fork steerer. This is how my Silvio is set up, and I think many others have set up this way. It will help keep the cables in away from your legs, but you will probably need longer cables and housings than you have now.

Yes: going by your photo a page back, most of your cables are hanging out on the right side. Try routing all your cables through the clamp where the boom attaches to the fork steerer. This is how my Silvio is set up, and I think many others have set up this way. It will help keep the cables in away from your legs, but you will probably need longer cables and housings than you have now.
Thanks Jeremy. Do you have a picture?

image.jpg

The Good: Put my SPDs on this morning and went out on the mini loop. Worked like a charm. Actually helped me relax and manage tight turns. Great power transfer and spinning.

image.jpg

The Bad: Did I mention that the clipless pedals gave me great power transfer? Snapped the new chain at the qwik link on the uphill portion of the loop. Yorked the RD into the spokes. Snapped the RD in two. Snapped off RD hanger. Glad the frame set came with a spare RD hanger.

Wow! That's some power!

hulk-smash.gif

image.jpg

The Ugly: Got the bike home. Checked blood glucose. Low but not awful. Ate gel. Went to help wife load something into truck. Tanked. As in had to sit down in driveway and then had to lay down in the driveway. Emotions can wreck havoc with BG. Breaking brand new bike I guess counts as emotional. T1 diabetes sucks dead seagulls. Picture is me about a half an hour later.

It should be said that I am OK. My wife and I were able to get enough carbs in me to avoid me completely blacking out. I didn't need a glucagon injection. I got too close to the precipice. So I get to feel like my brain is packed in wool batting for the next eight hours. But any hypo event where I don't get to see the nice EMTs is a Pyrrhic victory.

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Glad you (and the bike) are o.k.

I completely agree that when you're ready, clipless pedals and these bikes go together hand in hand. You're making progress in leaps and bounds. :D