S40 Build

So here's my final spec

Drivetrain
- Ultegra triple on 170mm cranks - 52/39/30, BB9000
- 10sp cassette - I have both 11-25 and 12-28 - 12-25 normally stays on the trainer. One is a 105, the other SRAM
- chain is ultegra 10sp, with reusable quick link
- 105 RD
- Tiagra FD (only road triple that still seems to be around)

Controls
- Dura-Ace bar end shifters - Indexed on the RD, friction on the FD
- Brake levers are TRP RRL SR - brown hoods and drilled Al levers
- tape will eventually be an nice Fizik orange to match the hoods and the orange accents on the frame
- cables - all Shimano except the rear brake which was from a cheaper DIY store - for the length
- outers - Clarke - I bought big reels in the sale - enough to last a lifetime
- Brakes - a very old set of Tektro 521's with salmon KoolStop pads.

Wheels/Hubs
- rear - Exal LX rim with shimano dynohub, disc capable
- front - stock Shimano R500
- Tyres - 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons - now my standard all year round tyre
- Pedals - flat pedals for now - will switch to Shimano SPD compatible when I'm capable.
- Mudguards are SKS raceblades

Will also be equipped with a rack for touring, panniers and radical banananananananananana bags as necessary.
Depending on the recumbent future - this could become discbraked as I have some BB7 Road on the M5, although I'd need to do something about hubs as the R500 front is rim brake only at present.

Can't think of anything else right now

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Oh man! How much fun is that!

I didn't do the carpark drills, flintstoning, roll downs etc. I'd intended to, but wanted to get a feel for the handling first. In the event, 3 failed wobbling starts and I'd got the hang of the initial pedal steer on start up, or at least enough to get going. About 1km down a quiet single track lane, wobble, wobble, wobble. Think - relax, relax, relax and the correction of the pedal steer becomes more instinctive rather than a fight. Visibility is great and the ride is nice and smooth.

Gears are indexing nicely, mudguards need a little attention.

I've a feeling this will be a very comfortable audax bike. Plan tomorrow is a quick 10-15km depending how I get carried away or not. I will do some handling drills as well though, I think it may be a while before I'm comfortable enough to try drinking on the move.

Weight of the S40 - as pictured - 13.5kg
Weight of my M5 - as pictured - 16kg

Now the training starts for the summer tour.

Nice! I'm right behind you. Basic build out two nights ago took about 3.5 hours. Just need to install a couple of in-line barrel adjusters for the derailleur lines and I'll be ready for a test ride. Fortunately had a spare Sram 11sp chain that I was able to splice into the new chain to get enough length. That and the helpful bit on the extra long rear brake cable (I'm running Spyre mechanical discs so need even more . . .) was a life saver. Got it ahead of time and didn't have to stop midstream for an impromptu trip to LBS.

my local 10km loop today, mostly LH turns so no crossing traffic here in the UK.

Damn, this thing is fast! Hit 36km/h with a following breeze in the middle ring, with flat pedals and a boom a touch too long. Too long boom meant that my feet were floating around on the pedals and back of one knee was uncomfortable. Moved that back in by one notch when I got home. Overall was 10km at 27km/h, average HR 141.

Noted a couple of things to take care of, including retightening the brake lever anchor bolts and sorting out how to make the radical tail bag sit right without fouling the rear mudguard.

Did some practice starts as well. Overall the learning curve is quicker than either my first recumbent or the M5, so far. I'm not sure how quick I'll be to change to clipless pedals, but audax in April?

nobrakes

I went to clipless within about a week. I found the bike much easier to control as soon as I was clipped in. I felt flats made learning the bike a bit harder.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Have been out a couple of times on the new S40 build. First adventure was in a parking lot with the drills. A slow start to say the least but eventually let comfy coasting through figure 8s and a little pedaling. Spent about 90 minutes on flat neighborhood roads today. A few nice smooth stretches and even turns. A few more wobbly bits and comical starts. Overall I'd rate the learning curve much tougher than the Bacchetta Giro I borrowed from a friend for my first bent ride - 5 minutes of messing around and I was off on a 25 mi ride w a group. I think it will be a while before I try that w the CB.

Brad R

My experience on my T50 was that a lot of time on tight circles and figure 8’s really helped the most in getting to a level of comfort.

When I started I felt myself fighting the bike with a lot of force from my arms and hands while doing the tight turns. It was enough to make my hands and forearms tired in a matter of minutes. I concentrated on finding the right weight transfer to make the turns with as little force on my arms and hands as possible. Once I found the combination of steering and weight transfer to have low arm effort during tight turns, it was the “ah ha” moment for me.

Your mileage may vary, but don’t short yourself on the protected nearly flat practice at turning and handling.

For me a few hours over a few days is all that it took to be quite comfortable.

Good luck and have fun.

That's definitely down the line, but work pressures and crappy weather not helping at the moment. I received my long skewer in the post today so will try a short turbo session today on one of my real life videos to see how it/I handle some uphills

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Here's the finished product!

S40 frameset
Shimano 105 crank set - compact (50:34)
Sram 11-36 cassette
Sram Force 22 brifters
FD Sram Force 22 (2x)
RD Sram GX 11 speed
TRP Spyre mechanical discs (160 f, 140 r)
Wheels - Novatec CXD
Tires - Conti 4000s 25mm tubeless (Orange Seal)
Jagwire cable housing in neon green
Bar wrap - Lizard Skins
Seat bag - Bontrager XL DF saddle bag velcro'd onto headrest bars
Spurcycle bell (black)

Shimano SPD pedals

Cruzbike low res.jpg

3WHELZ

Guru
Great build!! You are far more bolder than me with those neon green cable housings. ;)

I finally finished my S40 build 1.0. Contemplating replacing the Di2 10sp setup for an 11sp X-Shifter setup later this season. I hope to only use the headrest as crutch for long rides. The 5 degree angle transition from the 1.0 to the 40 seems have little impact.

S40 R.jpg S40 L.jpg

ha! I would have gone with orange cable outer, but 1) I couldn't find any in stock and 2) I found jumbo reels of black at a price I couldn't refuse.

I used bright red on my Orbea Onix to match the highlights, with red bar tape as well.

That black and grey stealth though, imagine that coming up on a group of roadies unawares. :eek:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master

S40 frameset
Sram 11-36 cassette
Sram Force 22 brifters
FD Sram Force 22 (2x)
RD Sram GX 11 speed
Wheels - Novatec CXD
Bar wrap - Lizard Skins
Spurcycle bell (black)

Shimano SPD pedals

View attachment 6515
Beautiful build!

jond

Zen MBB Master

S40 frameset
Sram 11-36 cassette
Sram Force 22 brifters
FD Sram Force 22 (2x)
RD Sram GX 11 speed
Wheels - Novatec CXD
Bar wrap - Lizard Skins
Spurcycle bell (black)

Shimano SPD pedals

View attachment 6515

Smicko great makes me want one.

One thing cabling to rear brake etc why did you not thread it through steerer clamp at headset to tidy it up?

Take a look at a few other build pics. I have vendetta........so......

I’d be calling her limesplice after my favourite ice cream

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Still making final tweaks on boom length - which is also why that cable is still a bit on the long side. Also awaiting delivery of rear disc brake mount to allow bump up from 140 to 160 rear rotor. Have always found 140s all but useless for my 195 lb (err . . . 88.5kg) mass. Will be all nice and tidy after this weekend . . . If the snow stops!

Frank Costantini

Great build!! You are far more bolder than me with those neon green cable housings. ;)

I finally finished my S40 build 1.0. Contemplating replacing the Di2 10sp setup for an 11sp X-Shifter setup later this season. I hope to only use the headrest as crutch for long rides. The 5 degree angle transition from the 1.0 to the 40 seems have little impact.

3WHELZ- What type of headrest is that on your S40? I’ve not yet found a good headrest solution that works with my helmets.