Silvio 2.0 Journey, Build, and Ride Video

Jake514

Ivan,
Sorry to hear of your

Ivan,
Sorry to hear of your setback but you will have this repaired and be back out there soon. I enjoyed an earlier reading where someone posted "... how often do you get to enjoy learning how to ride a bike a second time! "

Ivan

Guru
Great Customer Service

I emailed John Tolhurst, and he replied back very quickly. I should have some replacement bolts coming my way soon! Great customer service huh? Tonight I may see if one of my seat-post clamps lying around can temporarily resolve my dilemma. The boom clamp looks like a seat-post clamp though I don't know the size. Plus, my 4 year old daughter has been wanting to practice riding her bike with Daddy while he learns his "lying down bike."

Larry, there exists a lot of online discussion on these AC 420 Aero 3 wheels and rider weight. Many people report excellent results even when they are 200 lbs. However, some don't like the small bearings inside the tiny hubs (which is what makes the wheelset light at <1600g). These are easily replaceable and look similar to rollerblade bearings. For me, I am 155lbs so not an issue but a tougher call for heavier weights. Looking forward to seeing your build and decision about the Rohloffs.

KiwiGuy

Beautiful build

Wow Ivan

You've built a seriously good looking machine. Great job!

I've been riding a high-racer recumbent for eight years now, and have become fixated on getting as aero as possible. So I'm more attracted to the Vendetta. But I have to say if I was currently looking for my first high-racer style recumbent I'd definitely be going for the new Silvio 2.0. And your build would be what I'd be modeling my bike on. The wheels and group-set do the frame great justice.

Well done to John for the design and production of the Silvio 2.0, and to you for building such a beautiful bike.

Kind regards....

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, here's a harebrained

Ivan, here's a harebrained suggestion: a lower bottom bracket makes getting your feet up onto the pedals easier, and therefore should make learning easier. If you do get frustrated with the learning curve, try uninstalling your chainstay extension and learning that way, then add the extension back when you're more confident. I realize this would mess with the whole fit and adjustment of the bike, so probably not worth trying...

BentBierz

Jeremy S
Your thoughts and

Jeremy S

Your thoughts and seeing the pictures of Ivan's build is what made me do exactly what you suggested. I was going to originally order the bike with the 100mm chainstays (probably still should have ordered them as extras), but after seeing Ivan's pictures of his bike with the extended stays installed, I decided to begin my adventure with my new Silvio with my feet a little closer to the Earth!

Ivan

Guru
First Time Recumbent Learning a Silvio 2.0 with High BB

Hi Larry and Jeremy, I did think about that option but decided to go direct for the higher BB because (a) I didn't want to have to invest the time and cost to redo the chain and cabling and (b) removing/reinserting the chainstay to fit in the extension. I think extra time learning may about the same or overall less than the time fixing and reconfiguring the extension. It has taken me 3 hours practice on Silvio 2.0 with high BB to get to where I was with 1 hour on a borrowed Bachetta Corsa set at 45 deg seat angle and lower BB. My meagre attempts on my first recumbent thus far are:

30 min SIlvio Practice: Flintstoning, cannot get both feet up. Cool bike, funny looking rider. Dang it!
1 hour SIlvio Practice: Both feet up, first able to start on flat ground.
2 hour Silvio Practice: Consistent starts and stops on flat ground. Wobbly straights and turns.
3 hour SIlvio Practice: Better starts on slight uphill or flats, learning to sit up, shift body weight, turn better and put more power to pedal while compensating with arm push/pull. Beginning swooping turns but not good control.

I have my clipless pedals installed but am not clipping in now. When I can start and turn with 100% confident of not tipping over I will clip in, then venture on a short road ride to the bike path nearby -- perhaps at 6-9 hours Silvio time. Right now I am going up and down a small park about 100m long with everyone gawking at me! No such thing as empty parking lots in Singapore to practice on. Thus, I can't practice at cruising speed but getting lots of start/stop and slow turn practice.

Thanks Blair, your words are much appreciated confirmation coming from an experienced high racer rider. It would be fantastic to experience NZ roads and scenery on Silvio. I loved my short time in Auckland!

Ivan

Guru
Bottle Cage Solution

I have managed to fit one bottle cage in a place I am very happy with... behind the headrest. The single bottle stays in the slipstream and I can reach it easily over the back of my shoulder.

rOS_06I68XLyKScemJkdFkb80GRlXHRX_uzMK3EGnI4=w769-h577-no

The bottle cage is affixed to a Minoura Under Saddle Bottle Cage Adaptor which I had lying around. I had to use longer bolts as I clamped it to the headrest instead of narrow saddle rails. Also, it is mounted upside down as compared to the usual mounting on a saddle. The reason for mounting it upside down is so that the headrest pad can be fitted unimpeded.

IMG_2042.JPG

Now that I have one bottle cage in an easily accessible place, I plan to mount two more under the seat back in an aero position. While I won't be able to reach these while riding, I can reach them when stopped and replace the one behind my headrest. With three bottle cages, I could use one for storage too.

Ivan

Guru
Learning to Ride Silvio 2.0 with Video

I now have about 6 hours logged onto my Silvio 2.0. Prospective riders can the post above for my progress as many people wonder what it is like learning a FWD MBB bike that is reclined quite far back like Silvio 2.0. Now at 6 hours practice time, I am clipped in and can do figure eights confidently. I still occasionally have to put my foot down on a sharp turn, which happens when I pull the handlebar at the peak of the turn and accidentally brake! I can start up a gradual incline, and have been practicing starts both in low and high gears at slow speeds. I will soon be ready to hit the road!

Not only is this is my first Cruzbike, this is my first recumbent with only 1-2 hours borrowed time on a Bachetta Corsa. I have chainstay extension installed for a high BB position. I consider myself blessed to be a fast learner. So reduce your estimate learning time from mine if you have recumbent experience, or you are setting up your Silvio with a lower BB. Increase your estimate learning time if you consider yourself a slow learner and/or are learning the Vendetta with an even lower seat back.

IMG_2026.JPG

I feel comfortable in this position and think I will have very minor adjustments after this. Any suggestions people? I may move the handlebars closer to me by 1-2cm to give a tad more clearance to thighs, but the handlebar angle seems real nice for me. I have not adjusted the headset at all from its first installation, and I have not worn a helmet to ride the bike yet either. In case you are wondering, my height is 175cm, weight 70kg, X-Seam 42".

IMG_2002.JPG

I tend to look rather serious as I am concentrating on the task at hand... but I really am having fun! :)

IMG_2005.JPG

I've put together this video clip from my iPhone (embedded below, done using free editor app I downloaded). Thank the good wife who came down and took pictures and videos. That's my 6 year old son flagging me off in the beginning and also at the end of the video riding the 20" Fuji Ace, with his 4 year sister on a 16" Specialized Hotrock. They love Daddy's "lying down bike" and think I'm very clever for fixing it myself. I'm not telling them yet that you have to be much more clever in bicycles to DESIGN the bike (thanks John!). Gotta enjoy the loving attention in these early years while I can!

Romagjack

Great report, Ivan. I had no

Great report, Ivan. I had no problem opening the embedded video. Singapore is such a beautiful place and you'll have a wonderful time with that beautiful bike. It's time for a helmet!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wow! Silvio-2.0 really looks good on you.

What can I say, this bike really looks good on you Ivan! It looks like you are floating between two wheels. The hydro formed tube seems to converge and disappear into the shape of your body. Amazing!

The boom position makes it look like the Vendetta. It looks like it was meant to have bullhorns or something.

I personally prefer the looks of the Silvio-2.0 though. I find it very "balanced" in all aspects of its design.

Probably rotate the handlebar upwards slightly as you pull them closer to you by the 1-2cm you mentioned. I think your arms should be almost straight when you grab the brake hoods and slightly more relaxed when on the drops.

And, by the way, the embedded video works for me.

thebean

Ivan,Awesome report!

Ivan,

Awesome report! Absolutely gorgeous set up! I am curious as to your choice of wheels. I have always loved the look of them, and I know that Dana at Bent Up Cycles sells a lot of them.

The handlebars are very close to your body which is so cool! It's funny, but the 27 degree seat angle doesn't not look all that radical.

have fun...I guarantee you will not be able to stop smiling!!

Lisa :)

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Nice Build!

Question... ?

-Do you use a rearview mirror?

With your reclined seat, it takes a while to lift your head off of your headrest to
look over your shoulder.
Just pointing this out.

-Steve

Jeremy S

Dude
Looks great Ivan, you are

Looks great Ivan, you are certainly having fun. I can't wait to get on the road myself.

Ivan

Guru
I will use a rearview

I will use a rearview mirror on the road (and a helmet!). This is only practice in the park so I'm not using either. I have never used a rearview mirror before on my DF bikes, so I have started getting used to the mirror in real life while on my DF the past few days.

Yes, the seatback recline is very "sensible" - great aero and still great views of the road. I think John hit the sweet spot here. 27 deg sounds low and looks nicely low, but with the headrest propping your head up the view of the road ahead is excellent - even very near your front wheel. One can see from others' pics without the 100mm chainstay extension that the bike looks quite different - the Silvio 2.0 is so versatile!

If you are light to medium weight (and I guess you are Lisa), then these wheels are great. Less than 1600g so accelerate well, aero enough to hold speed, don't get blown around in cross winds and not so deep that you can't hang your bike vertically!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I have two Zefal spy mirrors

I have two Zefal spy mirrors one on each side. Strongly recommend both the Zefal and having 2 mirrors.

-Eric

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
+1 on 2 mirrors

I use Zefal Spys, also. I usually use 2, but only had one with me at the beach.

At one point, the bike path switches sides of the road at a blind curve, and the road is fairly busy.

Boy was I missing mirror number 2...

thebean

I keep looking at you on the

I keep looking at you on the bike, Ivan, and just really love the layout of the bike. I am hoping Vite Bikes will have one in stock as I am going to fly out this fall and give it a try. Perhaps Doug will have a solution for the seat angle at this point, but even if he doesn't, I am thinking it will work fine.