Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Cranky, the points above my post are great. One thing I might add is, people that have a slower time learning, in my opinion, are over thinking or analyzing the concept. It's actually a natural subconscious process or at least it becomes it. When you are in the parking lot try and not think what you need to do and let your natural abilities to learn take over. That way you may be more relaxed. Like Bob said, steering is done by leaning the bike one way or another, no different than your DF - something to think about: when you ride your DF and want to turn right, it's a natural process, right, you are not thinking about the components involved to make that happen, it's subconscious, you are just doing it, and most likely thinking about something else, like what in the heck am I doing back on the DF :D:D.

Good luck and have fun.

1happyreader

zen/child method
you don't really steer with your feet you steer by leaning the bike left and right with your wait.
That was my "boy with a new toy" step . As soon as I got my feet on the pedals it stopped being a heavy thing on the front end and felt like one bike. A bike , lean left, swoop, straighten up , lean right, swwooop,,, again,,,,,,darn why did the hill have to end.
later,,, bye

skipB

Hopefully someone here will be able to explain it.
figure eights is what really helped me and keeping my head up eyes on the horizon. and forcing myself to relax and not over think it . Just give it time short rides also helped me alot . This is coming from a guy that really struggled . This forum got me through it everybody really tries to help

Okay more figure 8's for me. I did learn how to turn left that is a big improvement. I am also trying some of the things with my fingers to get used to not holding on so tight.

PeteClark

When teaching kids to ride, I always tell them to look where they want to go... not to look at an obstacle they want to avoid, but to look at the clear path beside the obstacle. Same principle applies to a Cruzbike, but I had to learn it all over again. To start a turn, look at the apex. To exit a turn, look up at the horizon in the direction you want to go... BEFORE you get to the apex. That last bit is what I had to re-learn. I kept staring at the apex, which resulted in an ever tightening turn, to the point that I would have to hit the brakes and put a foot down.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
look at the clear path beside the obstacle. Same principle applies to a Cruzbike, but I had to learn it all over again.
That's a good point and it's true of so many activities; slalom skiing; you go where you look so don't look into the water; cutting a straight line don't look at the knife look at the destination; kick a ball aim a foot past the ball not at the front of the ball. Etc.

pedlpadl

I'm so glad this forum is here with all of you pioneers to share your knowledge and help us rookies. You guys are great.

I initially tried the palms open and quickly stopped because I lost all the stability I had worked so hard to gain. Now I can keep a straight enough line to ride on the road, but it's still a lot of work fighting the steering and balance. I guess I need to go back to the parking lot and work on 8's with open palms.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I initially tried the palms open and quickly stopped because I lost all the stability I had worked so hard to gain. Now I can keep a straight enough line to ride on the road, but it's still a lot of work fighting the steering and balance. I guess I need to go back to the parking lot and work on 8's with open palms.
Mark I see you are riding a Vendetta. I started on a Silvio. But this is only my opinion, and I'm sure it varies from person to person. But for me I believe the Vendeatta to be more stable and easier to learn than the Silvio because of a few things, but I won't get into that on this thread. I now now ride a Vendetta 2.0 almost exclusively, and will get on the Silvio 2.1 rarely.

Anyway, the open palms are more of a concept I think, it's trying to get you to relax your grip. If you have a better way of doing this, go for. I can make the Vendetta shimmy or wobble by locking my wrists, elbows, and shoulders, by doing this I'm no longer allowing my legs and arms to sync into a rhythm to counter each other. The rhythm is subconscious and natural. We try and give you guidelines, but they are not set in stone and can be amended to meet your need, however the parking lot figure eights are pretty much a requirement.

First things first, make sure you are comfortable and have good frontal vision and just sit or lay on the bike in a relaxed position, and then take note how that feels. If the need is there, ad padding to the seat and headrest to prop you up a little, you can always remove it latter. And don't worry about looking silly, we already do to most people that haven't discovered a REAL bike yet. Arms kind of dangling to your sides, shoulders melted into the seat, etc. My learning experience was quick, we had no real guidelines to follow at the time, at least not like we do now. The Vendetta is a very stable bike once you let your self relax. A good circular cadence in the beginning helps. Clipped in helps quite a bit in my opinion, I clipped in within the first five minutes and feel it helped to excel my learning curve. But only if you are used to them. Most of us recommend staying off any other bike until you are feeling confident on the Vendetta. For me, this was and should be a requirement, otherwise the learning process becomes hindered and slow. Straight lines get straighter with speed. 5 mph vs 15 mph is a big difference in following the line because balancing the bike is no issue. Let you shoulders relax and fall into the seat. Relax your elbows a little, don't lock them up, and make sure you have a little to moderate bend to start out. You can always push the bars out and away from you latter on. And as Ratz have said, it won't hurt to move the boom towards you a little durn the learning process. After you are done with the figure 8's, find a nice straight bike trail or stretch of road and practice straight lines, use the white or yellow line as a guild. It's helps to find an area where you don't need to worry about, people, cars, and dogs. And practice your straight lines. Keep your speeds up around 10-15 mph or more. You can practice slow straight line later.

Last edited:

ratz

You can practice slow straight line latter.
That's probably the least used skill and that's really good advice. Rarely will you do anything slow that requires a straight line; at least in my experience. Another good drill is to ride like you did when you were 5. Ride 2 city blocks. Stop do something else; ride 2 city blocks, stop do something else. I'm teaching the 5 year old to pedal a bike right now; and everything she does is slow; short, and brief; and high volume of repetition her progress is definitely about the number of times not the distance; in reflection that is also true of my CB learning curve.

SamP

Guru
Riding very slowly in a straight line, I do that all the time, instead of coming to a stop behind a car at a red light or stop sign, I slow way down and a good chunk of the time the light turns green before I need to stop. Another time is when I pass between bollards (moderately common in Washington DC), I don't want to be going too fast in case something goes wrong.

ratz

Riding very slowly in a straight line, I do that all the time, instead of coming to a stop behind a car at a red light or stop sign, I slow way down and a good chunk of the time the light turns green before I need to stop. Another time is when I pass between bollards (moderately common in Washington DC), I don't want to be going too fast in case something goes wrong.

That I would call coasting in most cases. I was thinking more about non stop pedaling at a very slow speed for more than 100meters. That happen a multi use trails out in crowds. Where as the car situation or those awful road furniture a beginner can use other skills to get by. Then with time they learn to do as you do which I then agree is very value. I should have been more precise so good catch.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The thing with riding slow and straight or slow and controlled lines, it takes lots of practice to get coordinated with good balance to get into the 4-7 mph range. But it is something that one should spend a good deal of time with, as Sam said comes in handy when approaching red lights slowly in hopes they will go green before the feet hits the pavement, or on long slow climbs, and also when on the MUP you have close encounters of the people not paying attention.

SamP

Guru
That I would call coasting in most cases. I was thinking more about non stop pedaling at a very slow speed for more than 100meters..

Good distinction. Rick's point about climbs though is another case. On grades over about 10% I have trouble keeping straight, little higher, probably around 12% I simply have to get off and walk.

rode my DF again today! Have to get in miles for a ride across Wisconsin by the end of June. Then went out and practiced figure 8's and circles. Was able to ride one handed for awhile but lost concentration and crashed. Skinned my knee. Just like the five year old. :)

DavidJL

After five months of the QX100, I can now turn around on a residential street without taking feet off the pedals, and hands-free pedaling is fairly easy to do now, with or without clip in shoes. I wonder how much of the Q skills apply to the Silvio or Vendetta. What I don't yet have experience in is high-speed handling.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I realized this:

If you are on a Cruzbike and you turn it the centre of gravity moves sideways. A 'bent veteran will not be used to this. The centre of gravity of a RWD 'bent stays in the bike's plane of symmetry.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I would argue that Cruzbikes are actually easier to learn to ride than regular RWD, fixed-boom recumbents.
That may be arguable, or NOT :D:D:D! It took me 500 miles riding a B.. Corsa to finally get confident. Now that's with absolutely zero two wheeled recumbent experience and going from a Catrike 700.

Took me roughly 150-200 miles on the Silvio to feel the same confidence level. But that was with roughly 15,000 miles of recumbent experience under my belt, mostly on high racers. I'm the type of person that adapts fairly quickly.

See my future thread (within the next 24 hours I hope) called "Dang NON-MBB's don't have enough pedal steer to be stable". All in fun :D:D:D!

New rider post:
I received my new V20 Friday (one of the few Lucia posted about in the thread "anybody there") and spent about an hour in my 200 ft. curving driveway following the steps provided at the beginning of this thread. It was quite stressful and I had several falls, assuring the neighbor I was alright. Today after 40 minutes of parking lot practice it was off to the m.u.p. I did well, but lost my mojo after falling on a tight turn with gravel. Ugh! Still, I'm very pleased with the purchase and looking forward to being half as awesome as Jason.
V20 practice.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Congrats Mathew on the new addition. Gravel can be your enemy if not carful, especially turning with gravel under the tiny high pressure tires. I would be happy with just 1/10 of Jason's awesomeness:D:D.