Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time

I haven't given up. I do handle it pretty good on the MUP. I am going to attempt a 16.6 mile ride tomorrow. It is pretty flat though.

SamP

Guru
Congrats Mathew on the new addition. Gravel can be your enemy if not carful, especially turning with gravel under the tiny high pressure tires. I would be happy with just 1/10 of Jason's awesomeness:D:D.

Surely that's a low bar, you can do 20 miles with 1400 feet of climbing at least 3 mph, right?

Oh wait, that's 1/10 in every dimension. Hmm... cube root of 10 = 2.15.

So 93 miles with 6500 feet of climbing at an average speed of 14 mph. Oh, I don't think I can do that, so I'm not even 1/10 as awesome as Jason!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You are in one of the cold bits of the universe, as is mzweilli, as am I. We know about ice.

Mathew, I hope you like your V as much as I like my S

SteveJW

Thank Ratz for starting this thread and everyone else for contributing.

I've had my Silvio S30 for three days now, and I would have been struggling without this learn to ride tutorial. It is like learning to ride all over again. After following the initial 7 skills progression, figure eights, circles, and slalom courses have been most beneficial. Hopefully I'll be confident enough to ride on roads soon. I did ride on deserted college campus roads yesterday. I was amazed at the difficulty of steeper grades. I usually couldn't peddle all the way to the top.

Thanks Again for all the great learn to ride advice.

-Steve

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Can anyone tell me, is it possible to start a Silvio from a standing start? It may be a very long time before I can do that.
Oh most definitely, it takes practice. Again some pick it fast and others it will take a little longer. I was riding a high racer before evolving to a Silvio, that helped me pick it fast, but it did take a little practice. I can now start from dead stop on 6% - 8% hills, given there is NO loose sand or gravel.

You can try the rock N roll method (I use this mostly on hills, but sometimes on flats if I want to get a fast start) to help forward with momentum. One foot on ground, one foot on pedal at about 12 o-clock position, make sure you are in a gear that's not hard are too easy to push, roll back slightly, then roll forward pushing off with foot on ground at same time cocking the foot on pedal and pushing genitally with it while re-positioning foot that was on the ground to the pedal as it's rotated around - don't worry about clipping in until you have enough momentum and speed.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Can anyone tell me, is it possible to start a Silvio from a standing start? It may be a very long time before I can do that.
I like a medium gear, and sit up for balance on my Sofrider.
Usually gets me rolling enough to get the second foot up.

ps. there is NO shame in flintstoning or walking across a busy street.

later,,, bye

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Most defenitely. Class people always seem to get it but I do that with a demo next to them on a second bike. Perhaps I should make a video or that next week.

In the mean time in addition to rick's notes. It helps if you counter pull. I start right foot up as that is dominate. Weight on left foot. Press with x-amount of force with right foot. Pull with equal amount of x-force with right hand to counter right foot steering input. Use this first foot push to obtain forward motion. As soon as forward motion is going get left foot up to pedal and make a push effort this time counting with a left hand pull. It is the second foot that will get you under way. Practice in a wide area so you can wobble around the first few time.

feeling better today. I think I am starting to get it. Practised figure 8's and circles especially left turning circles. My balance felt much better towards the end and I was doing the figure 8's at a higher speed. Most important of all, there were no crashes.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
feeling better today. I think I am starting to get it. Practised figure 8's and circles especially left turning circles. My balance felt much better towards the end and I was doing the figure 8's at a higher speed. Most important of all, there were no crashes.
Your brain can only rewire so fast. I was too impatient and frustrated at first, so then my wife said I had to learn to ride it because she had too much money tied up in it. Now I'm an old pro.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
LOL! Joe! That is my main concern the wrath of my wife if I can't learn to ride it.
If you get frustrated, you can buy bottles of alcohol now (I heard) that can have a calming effect and can reduce frustration. They should only be used after a ride or a crash though, not during.

DavidJL

I definitely found it easier to pull back with the hand on the same side as the pushing foot, rather than pushing with the opposite hand. I try to use either foot to push off. And I will walk across a busy street. Been working on slaloming around the cracks in the pavement no handed. Not the easiest thing to do, that's for sure.

hoyden

I will walk across a busy street.
I do this too and anytime I am unsure of my skill to perform. It's sometimes a fine line between pushing myself to higher level of performance and going over the line with a less than desired, and hopefully non-damaging, outcome.