storing and eating/drinkin for long rides (100+ miles) on Silvio or Vendetta

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I recently completed my first Century on my Silvio 2.0. Yeah! Completed it in 4:55:31.
Last one was back when I was 26 or thereabouts and I was stupid about nutrition and thought it was kool to ride with a bottle of water and a banana. I am smarter (hopefully) and older (54) now!
I researched about eating and trying to keep your energy level up during long rides and packed a bunch of stuff for this first century. I didn't bonk, and even seemed to get stronger as I rode, so that part was a great success.

My biggest problem was where to put it all (the food that is!)
I have a small bag that hangs off of the back of the seat and headrest. It is hollowed out where the wheel is, and is basically like to small side bags. I put my tools, a lock, and some money in it. Add added some of my baggies with food in them and a bottle of gatoraid, but that was all there was room for. And of course I had to stop (which I did not like) to access it.
I also have a 1.5 liter hydration unit that I attached to the top of the bag, and was able to route the tube and mouth piece up to mouth, so my hydration was fairly easy. (except when I dropped the end piece and it got tangled up in the spokes! haha-not)
I also have mounted 2 - 20oz water bottle cages to the top and bottom of my main tube. I have read that many people don't like that because if interferes with their legs. It was a small nuisance at first but I got used to it. Plus it was really nice to be able to access the water bottles easily. There does not seem to be any other place for water bottle cages that I can see.
Since this was my first long ride I also experimented with hanging a fanny pack over my right shoulder, and let if hang down on my left side. I had it oriented so it did not rub the wheel, but it was hard to get at, so I eventually spun it around and just let it sit on my chest/stomach area. I thought it would be a real pain up there, but I also got used to it. The other challenging things at that point was unzipping it and zipping it back up (at 20+ mph). Also I put most of my food in zip-locks baggies, and those proved rather challenging to open, but once opened, I kind of stuffed them down into the open fanny pack and just kept reaching down into it for the food until it was empty.

I can see myself progressing to a double Century, a 12 hour ride and even maybe a 24 hour ride.
It seems that there must come a point that you just can't pack everything you need, and best to at least have a station that you stop at and restock for next 50 or so miles (if you are on a close loop circuit course), or better yet have a crew just hand you stuff as you go by. :)

I would love any ideas, suggestions, what worked, what didn't for anybody out there. My goal is to be able to not have to stop and get off the bike unless I absolutely have to. That sure is a momentum killer!

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
If 4:55:31is total time and

If 4:55:31is total time and not just moving time, then you are smoking mister!

The ultra events I've done mostly lend themselves to being able to either stage a replenishment spot or make it easy for a support crew to replenish you.

For example, the Bike Sebring long loop typically has water, bananas, gatorade, peanut butter and bread around the 50 mile and 80 mile mark. The 11 mile loop pops in and out of the track entrance where you can stage supplies and of course the night loops on the track have plenty of room in the pits to stage supplies so you don't need to carry that much on your bike. It is helpful to have someone crew for you to help hand you stuff so you don't need to get off the bike if you don't want to.

The National 24 Hour Challenge is setup differently as they don't use timing chips which results in having to stop, although it is very brief, at the checkpoints. They also typically offer at least water, bananas, and some other fruit and have some room for those who have a crew vehicle meeting them at the stops. The checkpoints are approximately at 35 miles, 72 miles, and 96 miles on the 124 mile loop at which point you are back at the start at TK Middle School where most people setup support tents with supplies for their riders. The 24 mile loop starts and ends at TK Middle School but there is also another checkpoint at a bit over a 3rd of the way through the loop. The night loop is 7.6 miles that again has you looping through the school (and supplies).

From looking at the maps of other events it looks like there are similar opportunities to setup supplies at similar points of the event route.

Looking forward to hearing more and hope to meet you at an event sometime.

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've played with that stuff

Some of the things (not all) that I have played with are documented in my build diary:

Specifically for hydration, See this thread and scroll down to posts #4-7
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1182354&page=2

I don't use the rear bottle cage on short rides; I have mounted a tail light there for most rides; the showpass plus the boom bottle is enough water and fluid for 50-75 miles. I usually plan my rides with refueling and nature breaks avaialable every 30+ miles and just pick whcih ones I leverage and which ones I skip based on need. If I'm going to go further with less possibilities I have two bottles cages "Lezyne flows" (http://www.lezyne.com/product-botcg-flowcage.php#.U7DKFiS53DM) under that seat that I can access while riding.; That can be extra water for hot days or just water bottles filled with food.

For early morning rides; I use an old DF trick. Call it "Bar Food"; you clean the top of you frame; then you take an energy bar; I use the kind that have the consistency of Brownies. Cut them into 1 inch squares. Press them to the Bar; they will stick just fine. Then cover with small pieces of plastic wrap which will stick to it. The Silvio has room for about two full bars. Then just peal them off and snack as you need to. Works well until temps are over 90F.

So for 100-120 miles self supported.

1) Shower pass - water
2) Boom Bottle - electrolytes
3) Under seat bottle - left -water reserve to refill shower pass
4) Under seat bottle - right - trailmix
5) Frame top bar; "bar food"
6) Saddle bag - tools and first aid kit
7) Inside the hollow of the frame - spare tube and pumb
8) Inside the headrest - alarm if going to be leaving bike un-attended on solo rides

I've really gotten use to sipping from the water hose while descending; it let me meter out my water at a steady pace; I stay more hydrated and the water seems to last longer.

Ivan has some good thread about hanging bags and painers on the 2.0. For anything longer where I have to carry everything; then I would add painers or bags under the Seat PAN; to keep the weight forward.

Future stuff... I will try is modifing a BentUpCycle Trunk; that thing is huge. Rick as one on his modified seat; and others have moded it to fit the stock seat.

Ivan

Guru
4:55 is an EXCELLENT time!

4:55 is an EXCELLENT time! Sounds like you kept moving almost the whole time and hardly stopped which really helps the averages. Well done!

I have the same problem as you describe with accessing food even though I can carry enough. I stuck some in my jersey pockets, keeping them to the side so it doesn't get squished on my seat. I can reach these while riding and eat one-handed if the foil is pre-cut or my home-made rice cakes are loosely wrapped. But I still had to refill my pockets at stops. For me, this is good enough cos it helps my feet not get pain to get off the bike and stand after 1-2 hours otherwise I get foot pain -- I have problematic feet. Not to mention I need to stop and pee! :)

Finally, I am really liking my Revelate Designs Pika saddlebag on Silvio. I splurged on that one. I have not yet done a double-century or 12 hour ride. There are no organized rides of such in my area so when I do attempt that it will be solo like a fast mini-tour and this bag will be able to carry all the food needed for this kind of ride, plus my change of clothes for the hotel where I will stop at the end of the ride! My strap-on panniers are unnecessarily big and flappy for an endurance ride like that.

LarryOz

Rode another Century today: 4:45:54

Thanks for all the comments. very helpful.
Addressing Eric's comment on my first century time of 4:55:31 and if it was rolling time or total time.
It was indeed rolling time. The total time was about 5:25 because I had to stop about 25 times at stoplights! What a pain.
Some of them I tried to time by slowing down more and more, so I would not have to unclip, but I got stopped by a lot of them for sure.
It really does kill your momentum, and truthfully I thought I could have done better.... so I took off this morning to attempt another century. Mind you, I am at the beach Hilton Head Island, SC), and so not much elevation - but I think the wind makes up for it. Aurgh!
Anyway, to make this TT at true and fair as I possibly could: I found an up and back route that was about 15 miles (that way I fight wind in one direction and have it helping in the other), then also had a smaller loop off a main road of about 1 mile that I rounded out the 100 miles with.
This century I did not stop at all (although I had to slow down maybe a dozen or so times for cars merging, etc,) and to turn around at the end of the "loops". So, my rolling time and total time where the same. 4:45:54!
I am pretty happy with that at this point, especially since it was a little windy.
I also did not feel as good as I did on my first century which was Sunday. This might have been because I did not have any kind of a rest day. I did not ride at all on Saturday, so I guess I was fresher for Sunday. Whereas I rode about 50 miles yesterday.
What are your suggestions for "rest" before you undertake a century or "other" longer distance rides?

Also. I usually use mapmyride, but also turned on strava at the same time this ride. mapmyride had my total ride at 101.26 and elevation gain of 2565 feet (which seems pretty high, but there are still ups and downs of at least 30 feet even on these roads, so there has to be some gain) Strava came in at 100.3 miles and 0 elevation gain which I know is not correct. My bicycle speedometer showed 106.68 miles, so I figured it must not be calibrated incorrectly, but it came off of another bicycle with 700 wheels so I can't figure out why it is so off. But is also has an altimiter and only showed a total altitude gain of 191 feet, which seems kind of low. I usually export my mapmyride data and import it into strava, and at the altitudes always comes up way less. This week at the beach it has been zero, which I know is not really right either. Hard to know which one to trust.
What is your experience and confidence in either one of these "mapping" and gps tools?
Has anyone "tested" the results against a known mileage and elevation value?
Thanks again for feedback.
Larry

KiwiGuy

Outstanding Larry

Well done Larry. Outstanding time for a solo century!!

BTW. I'm a fan of both the Bent-Up Aero bag and Perpetuum.

The Aero bag has heaps of room - though I realise that it is not a simple matter to fit it to the Vendetta.

With the two bottle holders on it, and using two under-seat bottle cages, you can carry 4 x 750ml bottles. If you're using Perpetuum (or similar) you've got in excess of five hours hydration and nutrition right there (unless it is a really hot day).

Kind regards...

As a cyclist with T1 diabetes, this topic is huge for me. Thanks for all the great information.

I won't have the same stopping restrictions for food access. I have to stop periodically and do blood glucose checks. Believe me when I tell you that isn't something you want to do rolling. I usually ride wth two continuous glucose meters, but I still need to stop a do a BG check about once an hour. The CGMs sometimes just cannot keep up with the speed that my actual BG is changing.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Solo Racing panniers from Radical Design in addition to my frame pack. Anyone tried one on a V20. I saw them on a S30 so they should work.

DuncanWatson

I have used the Solo Racing Panniers on my raptobike
Rear View by Watson House, on Flickr
May 4 Bike to work by Watson House, on Flickr

They just lay across the seat and so work with any slung seat for the most part. Because the Vendetta is FWD you won't get any strap or bag caught in your chain. There is webbing connecting each bag and so you have to use both sides. Each side can be cinched up a bit with its own strap. I think I sold mine, I can't seem to find them and I may have passed them on to someone during a part sale here or there. They are pretty big. I have used the terracycle fastback double hydration pack on my raptobike basically forever. I use one side for a hydration pack and the other for tools. I put the Solo Racing Panniers on in addition to the fastback hydration pack.

On my Vendetta I am going to get an new fastback double hydration pack and adapt the webbing to the vendetta. It is snugger than the Solo Racing Panniers though not as colorful.

I have used the Solo Racing Panniers on my raptobike
Rear View by Watson House, on Flickr
May 4 Bike to work by Watson House, on Flickr

They just lay across the seat and so work with any slung seat for the most part. Because the Vendetta is FWD you won't get any strap or bag caught in your chain. There is webbing connecting each bag and so you have to use both sides. Each side can be cinched up a bit with its own strap. I think I sold mine, I can't seem to find them and I may have passed them on to someone during a part sale here or there. They are pretty big. I have used the terracycle fastback double hydration pack on my raptobike basically forever. I use one side for a hydration pack and the other for tools. I put the Solo Racing Panniers on in addition to the fastback hydration pack.

On my Vendetta I am going to get an new fastback double hydration pack and adapt the webbing to the vendetta. It is snugger than the Solo Racing Panniers though not as colorful.
Duncan, the panniers in your pictures look much bigger than these.
image.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
These are the Radical Designs Banana Racer. I'm itching to try them out someday on a real tour, was hoping this year...but maybe next year...I can't keep saying that. I originally purchased these for my MetaBike. They will work just fine on my Vendetta.

15117044501_3819f93938_b.jpg

Hey Rick,
just resurrecting this thread - I'm interested in how you have mounted those panniers and seat back bag - I have a pair of Radical Banana bags and an aero bag that I'm planning on using for some credit card touring this summer. I'm having a little trouble mounting the aero bag without it dragging on the tyre.

Photo here http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/luggage.12264/

Thanks
Dave

LarryOz

What a fun read - a blast from the past. Haha My first Century on a my first Cruzbike. A Silvio. Those were the "good ole days". haha. Total time of 5:25. We were on vacation on Hilton Head Island, SC. 5 days later I did 100 miles in just under 4:46 on a different route where I did not have to stop at all. I remember I rode with a fanny pack on my tummy with all kinds of hard to digest food, a water bottle under my boom and 2 water bottles under my seat. It was July 4th and pretty hot. I rode nearly 500 miles that wee at the beach on that Silvio. It was the start of my love affair with my Cruzbikes. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: Sorry Gayle. :eek:

McWheels

Off the long run
Bit of a bump, this. But the BBC has published a bunch of Chris Froome's data from the Giro D'Italia. Now Him and Team Sky on finer margins than I imagine even the most committed amateur here, but the calculations and planning is something to admire in itself. With me not being an endurance athlete, how does this stack up with how others prepare for Big Races?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122