storing and eating/drinkin for long rides (100+ miles) on Silvio or Vendetta

jond

Zen MBB Master
Bit of a bump, this. But the BBC has published a bunch of Chris Froome's data from the Giro D'Italia. Now Him and Team Sky on finer margins than I imagine even the most committed amateur here, but the calculations and planning is something to admire in itself. With me not being an endurance athlete, how does this stack up with how others prepare for Big Races?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

No comparison possible really. Froomey has everything. Resources science desire time youth and ability. Heck 600 watts for sixteen minutes at 100 klm mark at 68 kg body weight for an endurance athlete is salutary for even the most gifted of us.

But is he having half as much fun as us........... . No way.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If I'm going to do a long ride then I put myself into ketosis a few weeks before then I just burn the pizzas I ate the month previous.

I noticed by analysing froomy's data that burning carbs is giving him better watts to kilos so if you wanted a long fast run you would need a lot of support along the way. I love how the teams operate. One rider chucks his 2 frame bottles, hooks the bag of food and drinks and sticks three bottles down the back of his jersey and puts 2 new bottes on his frame and 5 gels in his pockets. He then catches up with members of his team and issues the bottles and gels. It's almost as though they have a party in the peloton. I guess if you could do that with team vendetta then it would be rather liberating.

Personally I like the easyness of ketosis and just take your salt tablets and water.

DocS

Guru
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm getting ready for MS150 riding a Silvo 2.0 in October.
I'm not trying to set any records, but have never attempted a century ride before...

I've been trying to figure out where I'm going to put stuff!
I have two water bottles behind the headrest, but would rather use a bladder...

Blessings,
DocS

jond

Zen MBB Master
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm getting ready for MS150 riding a Silvo 2.0 in October.
I'm not trying to set any records, but have never attempted a century ride before...

Blessings,
DocS

Many threads under forum hydration search. Many products available from cruzbike too.
My el cheapo solution inspired by John Tolhurst and Eric Winn make a frame out of aluminium flat bar attached to headrest and pop on a Bacchetta brain bag.

Works well but a bladder is only good for water imho.

I agree with rojo bidons are easy.

See pic below.

See 160A00F6-D0F9-492A-B144-DB98BC7A3C68.jpeg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Many threads under forum hydration search. Many products available from cruzbike too.
My el cheapo solution inspired by John Tolhurst and Eric Winn make a frame out of aluminium flat bar attached to headrest and pop on a Bacchetta brain bag.

Works well but a bladder is only good for water imho.

I agree with rojo bidons are easy.

See pic below.

See View attachment 8264
Why is a bladder oNLY good for water?
Is it because the tube will need cleaning if Gatorade,etc is added to the water?

DocS

Guru
Point taken regarding the bladder...
I only use water in the bladder that I've used before, because I don't want to encourage bacterial growth...

Blessings,
DocS

woodguy

Blessings,
DocS

DocS - I’m like you, not trying to set any records, but want something convenient & useful. I did my whole cross country ride using this 48 oz bottle with a drinking tube fastened to the front boom on a modified bottle holder & some small bungees. Wish there was a bottle design that would fit around the boom better & be more aerodynamic, but it sure is easy to just stick the tube in my mouth for a drink without having to reach for a bottle. Nice capacity & easy to unstrap & refill. Wondered if it would make the bike unsteady adding even more weight to the front end, but didn’t have any problems.
EF307B34-370F-440B-AD10-59CB5849305C.jpeg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Point taken regarding the bladder...
I only use water in the bladder that I've used before, because I don't want to encourage bacterial growth...

Blessings,
DocS
You can add refined sea water :D

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm planning a 500-600 mile ride up the coast of California over 2 days so 300 or so miles into some dive motel then finish up the next day. I'm going to do it on the V20 and I'm going to be packing extremely minimal but I'm trying to figure out how to carry even those minimal items. I figure 1 change of clothes, light jacket for coastal fog, extra sunscreen, some food to compliment what I find on the road, USB charger because if it's not on strava it didn't happen. I have my build it storage box under the seat but that doesn't hold half of what I'd like to take, and I can't mount anything to the back of my seat because that's all dialed in with bottles and lights. I'm considering a scarab bag from cruzbike even though I'm sure it'll cost me a little bit of speed going into the coastal headwind. I think if I could figure out a solution for easy bottle access the Thor dolphin tail box would be ideal but haven't pulled the trigger on something like that yet.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I'm planning a 500-600 mile ride up the coast of California over 2 days so 300 or so miles into some dive motel then finish up the next day. I'm going to do it on the V20 and I'm going to be packing extremely minimal but I'm trying to figure out how to carry even those minimal items. I figure 1 change of clothes, light jacket for coastal fog, extra sunscreen, some food to compliment what I find on the road, USB charger because if it's not on strava it didn't happen. I have my build it storage box under the seat but that doesn't hold half of what I'd like to take, and I can't mount anything to the back of my seat because that's all dialed in with bottles and lights. I'm considering a scarab bag from cruzbike even though I'm sure it'll cost me a little bit of speed going into the coastal headwind. I think if I could figure out a solution for easy bottle access the Thor dolphin tail box would be ideal but haven't pulled the trigger on something like that yet.

Radical design banana racers work without interference but also have aero penalty. Bacchetta brain bag would meet your minamilist needs and not affect aero. See pic above.

DocS

Guru
DocS - I’m like you, not trying to set any records, but want something convenient & useful. I did my whole cross country ride using this 48 oz bottle with a drinking tube fastened to the front boom on a modified bottle holder & some small bungees. Wish there was a bottle design that would fit around the boom better & be more aerodynamic, but it sure is easy to just stick the tube in my mouth for a drink without having to reach for a bottle. Nice capacity & easy to unstrap & refill. Wondered if it would make the bike unsteady adding even more weight to the front end, but didn’t have any problems.
View attachment 8273

I saw your setup on your blog. I thought about something like that too.
Seems like it might be fairly easy to rig that up.

I was also thinking about adding a bottle cage to the seat. That's how I have the bottles set-up on my Bacchetta.

I did recently get a bag from a member here that fits on my back seat.
I installed it and it seems to fit well. There's a "wheel well" built into it, so it straddles the rear wheel.
There should be room for a few things I need to take (Tubes and a couple tools).

You guys are great!

Blessings,
DocS

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Two bottles. Look close under front boom and back frame. Even using that hard to wash out Gatorade for goodness sakes. Simple, with minimum attachment parts and 215 miles no problem.

water-bottle.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Wish there was a bottle design that would fit around the boom better & be more aerodynamic,

There is. It's called a twofish or something like that. Found in most bike stores. Cheap, easy on, easy off with velcroe straps. Will fit nicely on top or better yet under the boom with big rubber thingie. Underneath it tidies up the cables at no extra charge. Will attach in a lot of other places to boot.

twofish.jpg