Team Cruzbike RAAM 2017

Bill K

Guru
I hope they do not eat the rabbits, when they catch them, like greyhounds do during training, at illegal sites!

Team Cruzbike has gained 40 miles in 16 hours on my second favorite team, Team Australia II!
I wonder if any of their bikes have a winged keel on it, to remind people that little old Australia, won the Americas Cup in 1983, after 132 years of the New York Yacht club holding it!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_America's_Cup
I think in todays world that Auzzie boat would be called a "cheater boat":) It did a lot to rattle the status-quo and open up innovation in high end sailboat racing.
I wish Cruzbike could do the same for high-end bike racing.

Race tracker shows Team Cruzbike 6-miles ahead of Team Australia II (Sorry, super slim, your guys just need new bikes).
Go Team!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think in todays world that Auzzie boat would be called a "cheater boat":) It did a lot to rattle the status-quo and open up innovation in high end sailboat racing.
I wish Cruzbike could do the same for high-end bike racing.

Race tracker shows Team Cruzbike 6-miles ahead of Team Australia II (Sorry, super slim, your guys just need new bikes).
Go Team!
I think that all non USA competitors, not having access to the USA Carbon fibre sail material, or their masts, was not sporting!
Because of this Australia had to design a faster underwater boat profile!

But the loss has improved the profile of the America's Cup, where now the spectacle of the SUPER winged keel catamarans, racing is a sight to see, AND the USA boat has an AUSSIE skipper!!!!

Team Australia !! is back in front, as you can not hold a good Aussie down, so I guess the Spot recorder was in its support van, and it stopped for 40 minutes!

Team Cruzbike has gained 52 mile in 24 hours, so I expect by morning time in the great Land of "Down under", that we would have been run over by a Cruzbike Steam Roller, with a Beep Beep horn!!!

Last edited:

CruzLike

Guru
where now the spectacle of the SUPER winged keel catamarans, racing is a sight to see, AND the USA boat has an AUSSIE skipper!!!!

I agree, the winged keel boats are amazing to watch. I caught the AC fever in 2013 when the kiwis battled the US. It was a good underdog story. It was televised on Youtube. I watched each evening. I looked forward to it almost as much at this RAAM adventure our friends are on.

IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2696.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2698.JPG
So this all happened at the time stop in Oxford, Ohio this afternoon. Eric brought parts. Steve brought ice cream. And I screamed my fool head off as promised. Got to talk to Maria, Jim, Ratz, Eric and Steve. Met Will. And saw Jim handoff to Maria after the tropical storm tailwind blew him into the time check 21 minutes ahead of the Aussies.
As Maria said, "This is fun!"

IMG_2694.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2707.JPG
Definitely luck on my part. Eric was supposed to meet them in Athens. Steve lives in Oxford and was delivering ice cream. Maria and Jim pulled a hand off at the time stop. Perfect storm except for Lief not stopping here. But he and I talked earlier.

Reactions: Suz

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The Yellow Vendetta, with thick black Boyd wheels, behind the black van, really sets the yellow off!

Bring YELLOW BACK as the RAAM winning colour!!!!

Suz

Sweet pics Abbott! Thanks for sharing.

I work with some Aussies and have enjoyed rubbing in the fact that you're ahead of them. ;)

Suz

USA is one day BEHIND Australia
Oh that hurts. I won't mention a word of it.

We also work with a few Kiwi's and they are obsessed with Americas Cup right now. Unfortunately I live too far from the coast to be a fan. But they are great fun to watch explain the race.