Team Cruzbike RAAM 2017

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
They've already left the last solo female, Penny Barker, a good 60 miles behind. Looks like she's going to miss the time cutoff at TS35 (Mississippi River) by at least 10 hours. T403 is within 26-27 miles of the last solo male, Valerio Zamboni.

She actually just officially dropped out because of shermens neck issues. I'm seeing so many neck a saddle issues among even the best riders and even when they drop out all I hear is "will try again next year". I believe someone once said "insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result". I'm come to learn that the RAAM crowd has fully accepted that these problem are normal and just need to be sealed with on a per case basis instead of finding a solid solution.

After struggling through so much pain on the vendetta in my first 24hr race with it I'm skeptical that a recumbent rider wouldn't have all their own versions of these problem over that length of time. Sadly Maria's effort doesn't seem to have nearly as much documentation behind it when comared to many years of DF riders doing the exact same thing. It's unfathomable to me that none of these strong racers who drop out don't even give a recumbent a moments consideration. My guess is the RAAM community really needs to see more bents out there doing will before they will see them as viable.

CruzBikes team effort isn't going to do much in this regard since it is a team effort and teams don't suffer the same problems as the solos.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good point, you don't have to give much, all the small donations add up quickly! Give it a thought everyone. My father-in-law passed away from brain cancer when my son was one. The thing he was most concerned about before he passed away was that my son would be ok (my son has cerebral palsy). He would have loved to see him grow and thrive. Small donations work the same as large ones. :)

this.... today is the day the fakers fail; all the stress is on the system. Crews break on day 5 or they come off the ropes swinging. There are 20 people behind the scenes that got off the mat this morning; having slept 2-3 hours, and came out swinging. The little sleep they get doesn't even include A/C just a smelly teammate and a 90F bed. If you can turn down you A/C for one night or convince someone else to do so and put that savings into a donation we can move that needle which at times get's stuck in neutral just like our competition in our rear view mirror

SamP

Guru
She actually just officially dropped out because of shermens neck issues. I'm seeing so many neck a saddle issues among even the best riders and even when they drop out all I hear is "will try again next year". I believe someone once said "insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result". I'm come to learn that the RAAM crowd has fully accepted that these problem are normal and just need to be sealed with on a per case basis instead of finding a solid solution.

After struggling through so much pain on the vendetta in my first 24hr race with it I'm skeptical that a recumbent rider wouldn't have all their own versions of these problem over that length of time. Sadly Maria's effort doesn't seem to have nearly as much documentation behind it when comared to many years of DF riders doing the exact same thing. It's unfathomable to me that none of these strong racers who drop out don't even give a recumbent a moments consideration. My guess is the RAAM community really needs to see more bents out there doing will before they will see them as viable.

CruzBikes team effort isn't going to do much in this regard since it is a team effort and teams don't suffer the same problems as the solos.

Let's see over the previous decade
2008: John Schlitter came in first among solo male 50-59 and 10th for all males, on a Bacchetta I think
2009: Team RANS came in first for 4 man teams, only two 8 man teams beat them
2010: Bent Up Cycles came in third in their category (4 person male under 50), fourth among all 4 person teams, and seventh overall (three 8 person teams were faster)
Barbata Buatois won female solo under 50 on a Performer
Sandy Earl DNF at 1788 miles
Timothy Woudenberg won solo male 50-59, finishing just ahead of seventh place solo male under 50
2011: no recumbents in RAAM, but two in RAW
2012: Team Sarcoma placed ninth in 4 person male under 50 teams, though three other 4 person teams beat them and thirteen 8 person teams, they probably were on Bacchettas
Team Bacchetta placed first (and was the only team in that category) in 4 person mixed 50-59, only minutes behind Team Sarcoma
2013 Maria Parker was the first solo female finisher and finished before six men on a CruzBike Vendetta
2014 Jacquie Schlitter DNF 2349 miles on a Schlitter Encore
Dennis Johnson finished first solo men 60-69, six solo men finished ahead, likely on a Bacchetta
2015 no recumbents
2016 Robert DeCou finished tenth solo male under 50 on a CruzBike Vendetta

That's actually a pretty good record of finishing with pretty good results on various recumbents. I suspect there is a desire to ride RAAM traditionally and not on one of those weird bikes.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok after a mostly calm yesterday (no mechanicals) and with some luck we dodge two thunderstorms during which we saw a tree vaporized by lightening. Larry and Kevin Split the gap and laughed at the storms.

Today was a little more exciting. We are now riding for distance per rotation; with 20mph being the minimum goal. Two rear flats on tube based disc wheels and a RAAM induced routing error (our private navigation system we correct, the RAAM book was wrong). We have Jim and Maria out on Court finishing up a longer than planned route thanks to the detour. Surprisingly in-spite of that they are still on the pace; but would have crushed it had it been on eventful. The Ozarks are pretty but I they too will be in the rear view mirror by sunrise.

We're closing in on the 20k donation mark. Spread the word, share the video, and encourage. I'd like to be pulling riders off bikes at 6am to the message that not only is 50% of the mileage done but that 50% of the goal is within sight.

Racing the V20 is like owning a Ferrari, we aren't hammering to prove the bike is fast, bigger goals

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What did he ride?

bachetta

The cruzbike seat and headrest caused all kinds of neck problems as it has many of us but he ether didn't have the time or wasn't handy enough to try a bunch of different solutions. It was easier to just swap back to a bike he knew was comfortable and performed well. He said he got the V20 based on its claimed climbing prowess but after several tough CA doubles with no real noticeable gains with climbing he figured the V20 wasn't worth the risk on such a long race. After we both entered the heartbreak double with me finishing some 6 or so hours ahead he said the difference in both our climbing ability was purely rider ability and had very little to do with what bike he choose.

I personally don't find that list of recumbent results all that impressive or convincing as a whole, even with some true standout performances mixed in there. You need more consistency with repeat performances to sway the masses. You can't just win ether you need to do so and while doing so make it heard how much more comfortable it was.

Better Run for the Mountains

Thought it was a nightmare,
But it's oh so true.
They said don't go riding slow,
Cruzzies on the loose!

Better run for the mountains.
Don't look back to see.

Can you feel that rumbling
Underneath your wheels?
Hammer down and pedals loaded
Maria cries, "Take aim!"

Cruzbike's on the Plains.

Racing 'cross the nation,
Cancer on the run.
Caught within the headlights
Another team is gone.

Before Cruzbike catches you.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I hope they do not eat the rabbits, when they catch them, like greyhounds do during training, at illegal sites!

Team Cruzbike has gained 40 miles in 16 hours on my second favorite team, Team Australia II!
I wonder if any of their bikes have a winged keel on it, to remind people that little old Australia, won the Americas Cup in 1983, after 132 years of the New York Yacht club holding it!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_America's_Cup

jond

Zen MBB Master
I
I hope they do not eat the rabbits, when they catch them, like greyhounds do during training, at illegal sites!

Team Cruzbike has gained 40 miles in 16 hours on my second favorite team, Team Australia II!
I wonder if any of their bikes have a winged keel on it, to remind people that little old Australia, won the Americas Cup in 1983, after 132 years of the New York Yacht club holding it!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_America's_Cup

Slim that Aussie vendetta is showing. Lol. JT would be proud. Hope he is watching from WA. Go team go. You are awesome.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Did all the teams start over a 3 hour period as the race times TM on the Race Leader Board varies by 3 hours???

Last edited:
Today's the day that the team reaches my neck of the woods. Laura and I are going to Oxford today to cheer the team on. The team is a bit over 200 miles away. 8-9 hours and they should be there sometime after 2 PM local time.

Will take pictures and post them later in the day.

CruzLike

Guru
Hi Abbott
My math is different. Based on the "Projections" on the leader board. I expect to see them at TS40 at 3p. They would be at TS41 at 5:20p. Do you agree?