Test riding a true racing recumbent

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
While my Vendetta will always hold the number one spot as my best all-around bent, a mid life crisis may have led me to buy Phil Plath's record setting M1 Lowracer when he retired from racing.

Phil_Plath_Hellyer_2014.jpg

John Morciglio builds each M1 to a particular rider's specifications, so it was lucky that Phil and I have the same physical dimensions. It seemed to be a message from the gods that I should buy it, so after a bit of haggling over price, the deal was made.

Unfortunately my first experience aboard the M1 was not a good one. I knew it would be difficult to ride, but I had no idea just how unmanageable and downright dangerous it would be. The problem was the custom built tiller:

DSCN0173-X3.jpg

Ergonomically, it was fine for my arm length, but its geometry was clearly designed solely for racing on a velodrome, where steering and shifting up and down through the gears were of no great importance. There is only a rear derailleur, and shifting to larger gears is accomplished by pressing the TT style lever forward with your thumb. Unfortunately, shifting back down through the gears proved to be impossible. There is just no way to hook your thumb around the shift lever and pull it back once it's all the way forward. Steering was a nightmare owing to the extremely narrow hand position, and there was always the danger that one of my knees would hit my hand and cause a sudden loss of control. Two incidents like that convinced me that a major redesign was needed.

Fortunately I had already been down this path with my M5 Carbon High Racer, so I bought another tiller just like it from a Taiwanese recumbent builder. The mechanical TT shifter was replaced by a Di2 system, similar to the one I have on my V20. Gear changes are now effortless, thanks to the mountain bike style thumb shifter on the handlebar. This is how the setup looked after yesterday's test ride:

DSCN0227-X3.jpg

I've since added a small mirror and a set of foam grips. The tiller has several slots milled into it, so I may try to route all the wiring though the hollow stem for a cleaner look. It will never bet as aerodynamic as the original setup, but it has completely transformed the bike from a narrow focus racing machine into something suitable for general use. Steering is now extremely predictable and stable even in tight turns. Interestingly enough, the clunkier handlebar setup seems to have cost very little in terms of aerodynamic efficiency. On level ground, it only required 223 watts to maintain a speed of 27 mph. I was so surprised the first time I looked at my GPS readout that I re-ran the test several times to ensure that I wasn't getting a false reading. I also looked up Larry Oslund's test results at roughly the same speed on his M1, which shows him doing 27.7 mph with only 223 watts on the racetrack, so it looks like my readings were pretty accurate. Once I get more accustomed to riding the M1, I'll conduct more tests at even higher speeds.

I'm really not sure at this point what use I'll put it to. Having a seat only 7 inches above the ground makes riding it on public roads a scary proposition, so it may just be the thing I'll want to ride occasionally on fast sections of local bike trails. I've never been out there, but the Van Fleet trail reportedly goes 20 miles in each direction, and is as straight as an arrow. No doubt there will be a few KOM's out there for the taking. :cool:

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I also have a lowracer (titanium) - not mine, but kind of 'for keeping'.

MGw1p3LBrSs.jpg

This cockpit is rather ergonomic and I also managed to cruise at about 27-28 mph at about 250 watts (which is my limit given lots of recline and high BB), which is about 5-6 kmh faster than my current FS MBB that I can generate more power at.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
I also have a lowracer (titanium) - not mine, but kind of 'for keeping'.

This cockpit is rather ergonomic and I also managed to cruise at about 27-28 mph at about 250 watts (which is my limit given lots of recline and high BB), which is about 5-6 kmh faster than my current FS MBB that I can generate more power at.

How does your low racer handle in the turns? Mine feels a bit wobbly going in a straight line, but that's probably due to the fact that I'm subconsciously pulling on the handlebars, as I do when riding my Cruzbike. When I stop pedaling or coast through fast turns, the M1 feels extremely stable. It also seems to lean far less in the turns. I'm not sure if that's because of it's extremely low center of gravity or whether I'm just imagining it.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I did the Van Fleet twice Saturday on a 134 mile ride, great trail with few intersections with good pavement. It is flat, straight, and sheltered from the wind.

If you want to get rid of the gunners.....I bet they would look nice on my M5.... :)

I'm on a "quest" to do 25 mph on 150 ish watts.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
I did the Van Fleet twice Saturday on a 134 mile ride, great trail with few intersections with good pavement. It is flat, straight, and sheltered from the wind.

If you want to get rid of the gunners.....I bet they would look nice on my M5.... :)

I'm on a "quest" to do 25 mph on 150 ish watts.

I'm going to keep the gunners in case I ever sell the M1. I honestly don't know why anyone would want them, though. They're totally non-adjustable, they position the rider's hands so high as to block his view of the road, and the instability they add isn't compensated for by a noticeable improvement in aerodynamics.

phil_plath_2105.jpg

The downward facing gunners on Mike Mowett's M1 seem to be a better solution:

M1lowracer.jpg

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Those M1 bikes look really fast especially with the shoulder and wheel fairings

For the kind of long distance riding you do, the power savings over several hours would be huge. My endurance isn't great, but at 27-28 mph, I really did feel like I could keep going forever at the modest power output it required. Unlike some other M1 owners, I'm not confident enough to take a low racer out on public roads, so mine looks destined to remain a trail queen. It's a shame because there is one KOM I'd like to take back, which is jointly owned by two Cat 1 racers. I could definitely beat their times on the M1, but I'd probably be run over before I reached the end of the segment.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Mike Mowett's view seems unobstructed but it is hard to tell from a photo. Not to be overly critic but both riders can gain time with changes to kit. I thought Larry had a bike like these but his had large wheels on both ends....they looked 650 but maybe 700c (no little one on the front).

I had a Baron Optima with small front wheel, the tiller required too much of an arm reach and it was to uncomfortable to ride for me.

I doubt I could ride with my hands so narrow (twitchy) but I have been "dreaming" about some sort of track based long distance record attempt (old person division....over 60) but that tiller with gunners has to fast into a wind. Sure are sexy looking machines for sure.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Mike Mowett's view seems unobstructed but it is hard to tell from a photo. Not to be overly critic but both riders can gain time with changes to kit. I thought Larry had a bike like these but his had large wheels on both ends....they looked 650 but maybe 700c (no little one on the front).

Larry did have an M1, but the one you're thinking of is his Morciglio Arrow. The Arrow is one of John's latest designs, and it comes with a 650 front wheel. I spoke with Larry about this, and he mentioned that the Arrow just happens to fit his body type better, which is why he ended up selling his M1.

I had a Baron Optima with small front wheel, the tiller required too much of an arm reach and it was to uncomfortable to ride for me.

I doubt I could ride with my hands so narrow (twitchy) but I have been "dreaming" about some sort of track based long distance record attempt (old person division....over 60) but that tiller with gunners has to fast into a wind. Sure are sexy looking machines for sure.

You would get used to the M1's hypersensitive gunner bar in time. I nearly did, but then I discovered that as I became accustomed to the extreme twitchines of the M1's handling, I couldn't ride my other recumbents, especially the V20. If I did, I would have to completely re-learn how to ride the M1 again. I have no doubt that the gunner bars must confer some aerodynamic advantage, but I haven't been able to detect it. It's probably so slight that it would only be measurable at very high speeds, or over great distances at more modest speeds. I'll never be capable of duplicating Phil's 40 mph average sprint speeds, and I don't do endurance rides, so for me the M1 in it's current configuration is ideal.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I'll never be capable of duplicating Phil's 40 mph average sprint speeds

Wow.

I have no idea my sprint speed but a pit bull almost got my face Sunday. When I backed off the power, I was doing 36.5 mph so, this might be my best effort but I could load the file into an online program to make an estimate but too lazy.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
How does your low racer handle in the turns? Mine feels a bit wobbly going in a straight line, but that's probably due to the fact that I'm subconsciously pulling on the handlebars, as I do when riding my Cruzbike. When I stop pedaling or coast through fast turns, the M1 feels extremely stable. It also seems to lean far less in the turns. I'm not sure if that's because of it's extremely low center of gravity or whether I'm just imagining it.

Feels fine, actually. Main problem is starting and low-speed manueverablity due to droppped chain and extremely low CG, plus significant crank overlap (which makes it even less practicable... which did not prevent previous owner from completing a set of 200-300-400-600 brevets on one... he did survive, but in the end, he did not enjoy the experience too much).
By the way, this 'horizontal horns', while begging for electronic shifting, is extremely ergonomic AND aero if you ask me - hamster bars stick your elbows into the wind, and gunners indeed obstruct your view. This cockpit does neither and allows you to unweight your butt over rough stuff. Ed, take note :).

By the way, about low cg and related balance (and visibility) woes.
It can be remediedd by taking a long pole (preferably, in airfoil shape) and propping up a aerodynamically shaped weight - think bulb keel. A lead acid battery will do nicely - and provide power for a flashing front and back lights, making you visible from a mile away.

Increased moment of inertia will make keeping balance significantly easier. You can even add a gyroscope for better effect (less weight, but more moment of inertia - maybe even self-stability!), but that would not be easy to be sure.
A great benefit of such a system is that it shifts your CG upward without affecting your CP too much, hence makes you much more resistant to 'truck suck' as well.
Remember, that while lowracres have low CP, they have similarly low CG and hence should come out equal as to when it comes to 'truck suck' recovery.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Alternatively, you can add a combined head rest/turtledeck/fender for more of a tailbox effect and load it with stuff (like above mentioned batteries).
Might as well hide a friction drive in there while you are at it ;)

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Wow.

I have no idea my sprint speed but a pit bull almost got my face Sunday. When I backed off the power, I was doing 36.5 mph so, this might be my best effort but I could load the file into an online program to make an estimate but too lazy.

That's similar to how I got my first KOM. I wasn't even trying for one, but when I got caught in a thunderstorm and saw bolts of lightning coming down around me, I felt a surge of adrenaline and went as fast as I could to get underneath a bridge. I've tried many times to beat that record over the years, but I haven't been able to do it. Maybe I'll give it another shot on the M1.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Feels fine, actually. Main problem is starting and low-speed manueverablity due to droppped chain and extremely low CG, plus significant crank overlap (which makes it even less practicable... which did not prevent previous owner from completing a set of 200-300-400-600 brevets on one... he did survive, but in the end, he did not enjoy the experience too much).

I was surprised at how easy it is to get the M1 rolling from a complete stop. I had expected it to fall over very easily due to it's low CG, but it's actually easier to start than even my V20. Another thing that surprised me is how little danger there is of a heel strike. It turns out that the wheel diameter is so small that the edges of the wheel don't stick out nearly as far as a conventional 700 wheel does when turning the handlebars. Not only does it help me to avoid heel strikes, but it doesn't even come in contact with the dropped chain.

By the way, this 'horizontal horns', while begging for electronic shifting, is extremely ergonomic AND aero if you ask me - hamster bars stick your elbows into the wind, and gunners indeed obstruct your view. This cockpit does neither and allows you to unweight your butt over rough stuff. Ed, take note :).

Would you mind taking a close up photo of that and posting it here? It might give me some ideas about how to refine my handlebar setup.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Alternatively, you can add a combined head rest/turtledeck/fender for more of a tailbox effect and load it with stuff (like above mentioned batteries).
Might as well hide a friction drive in there while you are at it ;)

My fabrication skills are terrible but I did "design" my own headrest from some foam packing left over from Christmas and wrapped a teeshirt sleeve over it. I carved it up a bit to fit my neck and head and it was more comfortable. I have not tested but the headrest area seems to be an easy area for improved aerodynamics. It really needs to support the head at the occipital bony area and fairly narrow down the cervical spine.....a backwards protrusion for a tailbox effect can't hurt. I tried to make something like that to hold Gel Flasks but no skills

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Finally got it done. All but one of the cables have been routed through the tiller , the instrument position seems perfect, and I put a couple of foam grips and a rearview mirror on. The ridiculously thin seat pad that came with it had to go, so I trimmed down the stock seat pad from my M5 and put it to good use. It's much more comfortable now and provides a more secure grip. Now to find a decent trail or isolated road to practice on...

DSCN0231-X3.jpg

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Would you mind taking a close up photo of that and posting it here? It might give me some ideas about how to refine my handlebar setup.

Unofortunately, it is disassembled.

here is photo, I think it is clear from it:

gCdiXbFBIrc.jpg

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Setup is suboptimal, really - it should be possible to have arms a bit farther and lower, especially with short cranks and adjustable tiller.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Unofortunately, it is disassembled.

here is photo, I think it is clear from it:

Yes, I see now what's going on there. I had envisioned something like it, but with the hands more vertical. The setup in the photo looks more aero than my idea.