Test riding a true racing recumbent

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Body paint. :)

... the ripples running across my abdomen. It happens no matter which bent I'm on. Even my tightest race fit jerseys can't get rid of them. :-(

DSCN0203-XL.jpg

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Very interesting read. My biggest potential problem with fit is the ripples running across my abdomen. It happens no matter which bent I'm on. Even my tightest race fit jerseys can't get rid of them. :-(

DSCN0203-XL.jpg

Wow. That six pack is going kill your quest for speed.

Ditch the Gator, gloves, and get the $120 Velotec skinsuit and if you don't get 1 mph cruising speed, I would be shocked. Actually even just a Castelli Body Paint jersey (tight fit) and better rear tire would probably get you from like 25 to 26 mph cruise speed (I forget your numbers and too lazy to go back.....trust me, that blouse is killing your speed)

If you're interested in a TriSuit, De Soto is having a 30% off sale through tomorrow Jan 29. Use code 30%offfor30hours
I can only vouch for the shorts and long-sleeve "skin cooler" top. I love them both, but could do without the crotch padding. I do suspect every wrinkle slows me down a bit.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Wow. That six pack is going kill your quest for speed.

All my race fit jerseys do that. I don't know why, because when I stand up they're tight as a drum. :confused:

Ditch the Gator, gloves, and get the $120 Velotec skinsuit and if you don't get 1 mph cruising speed, I would be shocked. Actually even just a Castelli Body Paint jersey (tight fit) and better rear tire would probably get you from like 25 to 26 mph cruise speed (I forget your numbers and too lazy to go back.....trust me, that blouse is killing your speed)

Both Velotec and Castelli were out of size Large, but I was lucky to find a Castelli Body Paint 3.3 speed suit on ebay. A brand new size Large for only $195.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
If you're interested in a TriSuit, De Soto is having a 30% off sale through tomorrow Jan 29. Use code 30%offfor30hours
I can only vouch for the shorts and long-sleeve "skin cooler" top. I love them both, but could do without the crotch padding. I do suspect every wrinkle slows me down a bit.

What exactly is the difference between a TriSuit and a speed suit?

Balor

Zen MBB Master
All my race fit jerseys do that. I don't know why, because when I stand up they're tight as a drum.

Maybe because you are not 'hunched up' when upright?

A brand new size Large for only $195.

I've bought a skinsuit from Aliexpress for 25$. I do need to lose some (lots) of weight to really fit it, but seems nice otherwise... all this 'high-performance' stuff is obscenely expensive.

ed72

Zen MBB Master

I've bought a skinsuit from Aliexpress for 25$. I do need to lose some (lots) of weight to really fit it, but seems nice otherwise... all this 'high-performance' stuff is obscenely expensive.

The truth is.....we Americans are overpaid.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master

I'm much more hunched up when riding a diamond frame. On the M1 and M5, my torso is pretty straight. I think it's the zipper that's causing it. Unlike the fabric, it can't stretch or compress.

Just a run of the mill jersey in local shops costs around $100. I see nothing about them that would justify that kind of price, aside from the fact that people seem willing to pay it.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Given that jersies and pants don't last long on bents for me (all this riding up and down midlly abrasive seat pads), I'd better risk sterility than 300$. My entire custom bent frame as pictured cost only a little more than that... and I have plans for more.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Osiris is trying to break a record. It is just a short period of time and not everyday kit. A lot of my Rando jerseys also bunch up like that due to stiff zipper. My Assos and Castelli jersey lay flat. I had done some quick aero testing with different jerseys. By memory. Wool SS rando jersey was 0.195-0.200, a slightly tighter synthetic Rando jersey was 0.185-0.190 and Assos and Castelli was around 0.175 and sinsuit lower than that. Very rough....from memory. Remember the human body is most of the drag.....not the bike

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Osiris is trying to break a record. It is just a short period of time and not everyday kit. A lot of my Rando jerseys also bunch up like that due to stiff zipper. My Assos and Castelli jersey lay flat. I had done some quick aero testing with different jerseys. By memory. Wool SS rando jersey was 0.195-0.200, a slightly tighter synthetic Rando jersey was 0.185-0.190 and Assos and Castelli was around 0.175 and sinsuit lower than that. Very rough....from memory. Remember the human body is most of the drag.....not the bike

Looks like I need to buy some Castelli jerseys, then.

What about shoe covers? Any benefit to those on a recumbent?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Looks like I need to buy some Castelli jerseys, then.

What about shoe covers? Any benefit to those on a recumbent?

I have not tested. My next project is working on that interface. I have a mess up front on my bike (lights, RS4x crank, big pedals, and 48 mega feet). A short crank would be the best savings for me....punches out less volume.

Most testing shows little to no advantage to shoe covers and some are actually slower when the cover has to fit over buckles. You already have good shoes. Either Tripx sock or 2XU shin leggings would be better money spend. The fastest shoe/pedal combo off the shelf would likely be the Giro SLX and Speed Play Zero Aero...the one sided ones....guess it would save 5-10 watts at 30 mph over what I am using (Sidi 6.6 and Speedplay Syzr)

For a couple watts, these skewers have tested to save a few. I don't have any experience with them but have seen credible tests independently confirming.

None of this junk matters in the 20-22 mph area, which is where I mostly ride as a rando. But, I have this fetish of wanting to break 20 minutes for 10 miles within spending reason (maybe a 100-200 dollars on gear....it is also fun to mess around). I will probably swap out my crank for an existing aero one, remove the light and mount, bell, the blinkies on the chain stay, and maybe get the aero skewers for the front since they are pretty cheap but maybe not.

https://www.shop.view-speed.com/View-Speed-Series-4-Skewer-S4-6100987115900-S4.htm

I have not tested. My next project is working on that interface. I have a mess up front on my bike (lights, RS4x crank, big pedals, and 48 mega feet). A short crank would be the best savings for me....punches out less volume.

Most testing shows little to no advantage to shoe covers and some are actually slower when the cover has to fit over buckles. You already have good shoes. Either Tripx sock or 2XU shin leggings would be better money spend. The fastest shoe/pedal combo off the shelf would likely be the Giro SLX and Speed Play Zero Aero...the one sided ones....guess it would save 5-10 watts at 30 mph over what I am using (Sidi 6.6 and Speedplay Syzr)

For a couple watts, these skewers have tested to save a few. I don't have any experience with them but have seen credible tests independently confirming.

None of this junk matters in the 20-22 mph area, which is where I mostly ride as a rando. But, I have this fetish of wanting to break 20 minutes for 10 miles within spending reason (maybe a 100-200 dollars on gear....it is also fun to mess around). I will probably swap out my crank for an existing aero one, remove the light and mount, bell, the blinkies on the chain stay, and maybe get the aero skewers for the front since they are pretty cheap but maybe not.

https://www.shop.view-speed.com/View-Speed-Series-4-Skewer-S4-6100987115900-S4.htm
I like what View-Speed offers for Aero Shoe Modification. It's probably more significant for recumbent riders than for up-right riders. I wonder how much weight it adds and if that would negatively impact your time compared to any aero advantage.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master

I already have a set of Speed Play Zero's; they're what Phil used when setting his records because they're the most aero.

It seems to me that the rider's feet would be a major source of aerodynamic drag on a recumbent. It would be tempting to design some conical shaped foot enclosures, so that the air would pass smoothly around them.

Boot.jpg

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Clearly, the shoe fairing would yield more improvement than the relatively marginal stuff I mentioned. On the bike, there isn't much obvious....maybe the front brake cable and maybe a smaller profile on the headrest but maybe not. Single chainring with cover but then this is getting very marginal.

Shave. Use the rear helmet strap to tuck the ears in. Cut down and splice a latex tube to fit the small diameter. LOL

I suspect you don't need to do any of these little things. Just the Body paint 3.3 and a good rear tire and you might get that 10 mile TT record, assuming equal training/power levels. Also pick a warm humid day but not too warm, it is much faster than cool and dry air.