THE NEW Q IS COMING

Rampa

Guru
So glad to see all the bikes moving towards a common front-end. Will the T50 also get it? So glad to see a taller steerer become standard again.

I think with the afore mentioned rocket launcher, it will look like a bow-and-arrow. ;)

Rampa

Guru
The front of the seat looks to be the same height as the original, and has a pivot. Looks like a similar setup to the T50 to change the seat angle. It was fixed with a very "nose high" mount before. I suspect it can be set more like the angle of the old one if needed.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
6196016c-ca34-4d59-9f7e-6b16d8729c75.jpg

Climb like a mountain goat.

1-Drive system: The same [design as] the V and S models now [on] the Q45

[Hooray! Much rejoicing in the land. Yipee! Thrilled! Go designers, Go! Rock on! ]

2-Wheelbase: The Q45 is designed for adventure touring so the product team assumed it would often be fully loaded. To crank up traction when climbing and stability when descending with a full load, they increased its wheelbase by over an inch. The difference is significant.

[Someday I need to ride several different models side by side to experience the differences.]

3-Gearing: The product team outfitted the Q45 with a wide range 11 speed cassette that is perfectly suited for hauling your gear up long those climbs.

[I'm guessing everyone has their own idea of perfect but this should be pretty amazing for the target consumer. True touring might want more gears (and would likely change whatever they feel like anyway) but all of us wannabe's will be thrilled with the simple, elegant shifting.]

4-Brakes: What goes up must come down. The Q45's disc brakes deliver excellent stopping power so you can descend confidently, even in wet conditions.

[This doesn't appear to be a change, at least not a major one as the QX100 already had disc brakes.]

Quibbles aside this hits virtually all my wish list - awesome work

And sign up on Bicycles > the new Q is coming" to be added to the email teasers list if you want to receive the above kind of information right from the source immediately when sent out by Cruzbike world headquarters (Lucia).

Dudley

As a tourer, it's not the front end that's interesting, it's the back end. How do I
attach my rack and panniers. You'll see two new attachment points on the swing arm - that's when the fun begins.
The real reveal will be when the new rack is shown

This is very timely for me. I've been using home-made rack converters that allow me to put a 'normal' rack on the back and hang a front wheel rack under the seat. They work great but I've been worried about the stresses they cause.

I was just about to see a local bike builder to see how I could get a more professional setup, so the new Q has come at the right time.

And by the way, the Q is a brilliant tourer.

Rampa

Guru
So how are people locking their rear wheels with this single-tube swing arm bikes? Do you always take them off and lock them with front?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Start saving, it looks to be worth saving for.

And unless I am way out to lunch, all those who want to try out Cruzbike will soon be able to for less as all of the adventure series (Conversion Kit, Sofrider, Quest, QX100) are about to drop in price as the market floods with those upgrading.

billyk

Guru
Brilliant!

But I wonder about the angle of the shock. Isn't a shock supposed to be as perpendicular as possible to the force exerted on the pedals? That minimizes pogoing, which occurs when the rider is pumping the shock with each pedal stroke. The original Qs had such a shock orientation, but from the photo, it looks like the new one could cause bad pogoing when pumping hard. Opinions?

dtseng

It looks like an up-side-down U mount under the seat so the seat incline can be adjusted quick a bit. Cut down the steer tube and you have a speed machine like V and S, but with the comfort of an air shock.
Yes, it hits virtually all my wish list as listed on post #9.

Dudley

Be still my beating heart - I just looked again and there seem to be three possible attachment points on the swing arm, two above and one below, all pretty much in a straight line.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So how are people locking their rear wheels with this single-tube swing arm bikes? Do you always take them off and lock them with front?
Hi Rampa,

Maybe I am missing what you are meaning but here goes:

I think that for the most part the Moving Bottom Bracket (MBB) format causes enough confusion in the general bike population to cause a thief to move on to something else. (Unless you have wheels that scream out $1000) the uncommon appearance of the bike pretty much takes care of it. I wouldn't recommend leaving unlocked but I personally would only worry about locking the rear wheel (as long as the bike is locked) on university campus or high risk location. You could always use one of those special quick releases from DT Swiss where the quick release lever comes off or one of the (piq?) regular axle (non quick release) that have a specially shaped nut.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Be still my beating heart - I just looked again and there seem to be three possible attachment points on the swing arm, two above and one below, all pretty much in a straight line.
Wow, good eyes. I thought I looked carefully and never noticed any of them! (and for new eyes, the ones holes under the seat are for water bottle cages)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Please, pretty please with cherries on top!

AND it would be GREAT if the Q[...] power triangle, with new wider forks, with the Emeljay steerer tube would be available to buy as an upgrade for a Quest V1.0, or 2.0, and just the Emeljay steering tube, with the head stem? bracket and 32 mm handlebar clamp.

Last edited:

Rampa

Guru
Hi Rampa,

Maybe I am missing what you are meaning but here goes:

I think that for the most part the Moving Bottom Bracket (MBB) format causes enough confusion in the general bike population to cause a thief to move on to something else. (Unless you have wheels that scream out $1000) the uncommon appearance of the bike pretty much takes care of it. I wouldn't recommend leaving unlocked but I personally would only worry about locking the rear wheel (as long as the bike is locked) on university campus or high risk location. You could always use one of those special quick releases from DT Swiss where the quick release lever comes off or one of the (piq?) regular axle (non quick release) that have a specially shaped nut.
It's the locking it to the bike that is the issue. If there is an extra post to lock it to, then no problem. I often just capture the rear wheel on my Sofrider with a U-lock through the rear triangle of the swing-arm. I suppose all those rack mounting points would allow for some kind of metal loop to put a lock through.

I'm sure a reasonable way can be found, one way or another.

The weirdness of it certainly helps, but I'm in a college town with a very big bike-stripping problem. I always lock with two locks!

Rampa

Guru
Now I am really curious if it will have a frame-set option as well? I have some 29er (700c) wheels I bet will fit in there with road tires.

Rampa

Guru
Brilliant!

But I wonder about the angle of the shock. Isn't a shock supposed to be as perpendicular as possible to the force exerted on the pedals? That minimizes pogoing, which occurs when the rider is pumping the shock with each pedal stroke. The original Qs had such a shock orientation, but from the photo, it looks like the new one could cause bad pogoing when pumping hard. Opinions?
Looks like it would pretty easy to engage a shock with lock-out. Just reach behind you and flick the switch. Of course, those tend to be expensive shocks! :(