Tiltmaniac's S30v2 build.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Effectiveness of the anti-flop.
I'm not holding anything here and the front-end has stopped at this position on its own.
Note that I'm tilting the frame quite a fair bit to make it move this far.
This is great for commuting! The bike stays put against the wall and the boom doesn't injure passerbys :)

IMG_20180226_210303.jpg IMG_20180226_210250.jpg IMG_20180226_210253.jpg

I love reading about your build. I ride the slightly older S30 version. I also have a Q559 which I do not love. I am debating selling the Q and buying another S. Your build helps me. I go between Ky and Fl and would prefer not to haul bikes back and forth. Was there a specific reason you did not buy the S40 and went with the S30 instead?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I love reading about your build. I ride the slightly older S30 version. I also have a Q559 which I do not love. I am debating selling the Q and buying another S. Your build helps me. I go between Ky and Fl and would prefer not to haul bikes back and forth. Was there a specific reason you did not buy the S40 and went with the S30 instead?

I can put the disassembled S30 in a airline-approved piece of luggage, fly across the country or world, re-assemble it, and have a nice long tour on it :)

Can't do that with the S40 yet.

I can put the disassembled S30 in a airline-approved piece of luggage, fly across the country or world, re-assemble it, and have a nice long tour on it :)

Can't do that with the S40 yet.

Thank you for the that tidbit. I really like my S30. I may just look for another S30. My long range plan is touring using an RV to motor around the US to cycle.

dtseng

The good thing about S30 is the rear stays can be disassembled. I have a new design for Quest in which the front triangle is like V20, and rear end, Q-esque.
The swing arms have air shock and the pivot is equipped with cartridge bearings and quick release. The incline of Thor seat should be made adjustable. The bike can be disassembled into short components to
fit into a medium sized luggage. The wheel rims will be packed in a shallow box with spokes/hub removed. I am handy enough to lace wheels on the road.

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Relace wheels!!! I don't even take my wheels off if i can possibly avoid it. Of course I don't tour the world either. Quite impressive.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
In this sequence, I install the bottom thermoplastic shim, then the top thermoplastic shim, then I show how the bottom of the seat fits.

If you pay close attention to the 6th or so photo, you can see the Perez clamp installed.
The top seat screw goes into the top hole of the Perez clamp.
This is the modified Perez clamp, where I drilled out the middle so bolts could pass through, and put the rod on the side.

View attachment 6410 View attachment 6408 View attachment 6407 View attachment 6406 View attachment 6404 View attachment 6405 View attachment 6409 View attachment 6411 View attachment 6412View attachment 6444

Where did you get the thermoplastic stuff? That looks pretty solid.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Where did you get the thermoplastic stuff? That looks pretty solid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V2BKU3I/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instructions:
Get a small bowl.
Add some beads of plastic.
Cover with water.
Put in microwave until the water is hot (but not boiling).
Wait until it turns mostly transparent.
Pour off water.
Pick up semi-melted mass of plastic.
Roll and squeeze it with your hands to squeeze out water.
I roll it into a shape like a large gel-cap pill (a 6" large pill), then quickly place it on the frame where I want it and stick the seat on it where it should go.
I use my fingers to help the plastic flow/mold where I want it, then you wait for a few minutes for the plastic to cool and set.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
One rubber band, but long enough (18" un-stretched) that it loops over the boom. I've also done it with two or three rubber bands, but that requires either zipties or boom disassembly to mount, or you end up with a wider knot down lower which wears out faster.

I leave it attached all the time. The rubber band isn't strong enough for me to notice it when riding (steering deflection isn't that big during normal riding)-- it mostly helps with moving the bike one-handed, to prevent the bike from falling down when parked (e.g. against a wall), and preventing boom-strike against the rest of the bike.

The rubber band has lasted for 600 miles without significant wear, so I expect it to keep on going for another 400-600 miles more. If you buy 'em in larger quantities, the cost is $5 per 1000 miles. Pretty cheap :)
I just installed the anti flop band. Works great! Thanks for sharing.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I used the black one from the link you sent. I didn't bother braiding but just tied two knots on both ends. I don't think there is any difference between the red and black bands other than color, right?

Attachments

• 15206946808301762778862.jpg
    15206946808301762778862.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I used the black one from the link you sent. I didn't bother braiding but just tied two knots on both ends. I don't think there is any difference between the red and black bands other than color, right?
There is no difference as far as I know.