Tiltmaniac's S30v2 build.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Build update.

edit: Also using 140mm cranks.

The Thor seat has been replaced with the new CB adjustable CF seat. The Thor was cracking after some abuse, and.. I also needed some more additional space between the seat and the bars at the start of my tour. This was not needed by the end ^_^. After 4000+ miles on it mostly on ~80miles days, I can say.. it works, it is adjustable, it is comfy.

The Powertap 32h hub's rotor was unhappy (and they're very very difficult to replace now, though SRAM was kind enough to send me a replacement one when none of the shops had them anymore), and the rim cracked on the trip. I'll be rebuilding the old wheel, at which point I may use it again.. but until then...

The wheels have been changed to Zipp 454 NSW. The drive-wheel is a disk-brake (new non-hook tire version). The non-drive wheel is a rim brake wheel (standard clincher). I don't know about the non-hook stuff yet.. we'll see..

The drivetrain has been changed as well.

I upgraded the right brifter using the Ratio 12-speed wide kit and cable spool (for 10s->11/12s), replaced the rear derailleur with a SRAM Eagle X0 Lunar, replaced the derailleur's mounting bolt-hanger-thingie with one from the SRAM Eagle NX (the CB derailleur hanger was too wide for the Eagle X0's bolt-hanger-thingie). The front derailleur and housings will be removed.

I'm using the E*Thirteen 9-50 TRS Plus 12 speed cassette, and will be replacing the 2 front chainwheels with a single 44t q-ring.

This will give 10% wider range on the gearing, which I'll spend on a hair more granny, and a hair more top-end.
Numbers are:
- new: (23.9 <-> 133 gear inches) (44 : 9-50)
- old: (25.7 <-> 129 gear inches) (34-52 : 11-36)
http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...52&RZ2=11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36&UF2=2170

For those interested-- if I extend the standard-length chain by two links, the 2x setup probably work with the rear cogs (and give a ginormous range). I don't feel this is needed, however, since lower gear-inches tend to just cause wheelspin for me, and an ultra-high top-end isn't useful for me (when I'm going that fast, I stop pedaling and sit up so I can catch more air and go slower).

Since this wheel isn't a power-sensing wheel, I've swapped out the pedals for the Garmin Rally power sensing pedals.

Last edited: